Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you feel about the Magic School Sim/roguelike idea?

I like it.
- 8 (40%)
Nice!  It should have (write suggestion)
- 0 (0%)
mmm... I've seen this somewhere...
- 0 (0%)
Awesome!
- 3 (15%)
Sounds interesting.
- 4 (20%)
Nah...
- 5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Simple Game Project. (STAGE: on hold. Learning OpenGl)  (Read 11424 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
Re: Simple Game Project. Who would like to join? (BRAINSTORMING STAGE)
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2009, 12:23:15 am »

BRAINSTORMING (in a park)
I'll skip the chart I made because I don't have a scanner right now...  Maybe I'll do a powerpoint and save it to jpg later.

ID: SPY
(menu based)
- Infiltrate an organization.
- Find low level contacts.  Manipulate them so you can join, get info.
- Gain trust. Officially join the Organization.
- Get to a position of power.  Collect info.  Set up a raid.  Sabotage.  Cause havoc.
- Operate in case of need.  Terminate key members.
- Mission Report in the end.

There could be a similar approach but with a hitman character instead of a law enforcement spy.

ID: PSYCH
(menu based)
You're a counter-Intelligence operative.  You must find threats inside your organization (military, special forces).  You have to analize them (talk to them, interact with them, watch them) gain experience as a "mind-reader" and finally choose those who are a liability to the project and terminate them (kill, imprison, brain wash, interrogate).
  There's an ongoing war and the longer it takes you to elimite the threat the bigger the chances to be sabotaged, suffer assasinations, stolen (information, technology) or attacked in many other ways that may diminish morale.
  The objective would be to win the war.
  It could be extended to send in your own spies, not knowing if they were turned over, etc, etc.

ID: ANGEL

(Roguelike or menu)

You're an angel with a gift to control minds.  You have to prevent this world from destroying itself (yes, humans).  You must make this a happy world.
by performing different divine acts (that may or may not have a cost) aimed at key people/locations you must try to reach your goal.
There will be a lot of different roles/professions in different countries that will develop in a self-simulating world.  Each country will have particular people who you will be able to influence and particular problematics (war, hunger, crime, etc)
Professions: Imagine a proportional amount of people per country.  1 President, ministers (of various things), thiefs, cops, poor, middle class, firemen, teachers, murderers, soldiers, etc.
You may use Special Miracles granted by God in certain situations (a big crisis, earthquake, etc or when you've achieved an important temporary objective)

ID: INSANE

(roguelike)
You are mentally insane and must travel on a journey to regain your sanity before you go totally berserk and do something terrible where there will be no coming back.
You start with the knowledge of most of the world (Your brain) in some kind of subjective way and you have to fight different kinds of evil to destroy insanity before it consumes you.  If you make wrong choices more and more parts of your brain may be attacked by insanity agents or blocked by darkness spreading over time.  Imagine a game where tiles are blocked forever (or almost) limiting your world until you have no possible escape and you're consumed by madness.
Flavour would be very fun to write for this game... Just call Barbarosa the seal god and some other bay12-ers-

ID: PRISON:
(roguelike)
Survival game in a military prison from wich you have to escape (maybe sci-fi).  There should be a series of tasks to perform to ensure you have a chance to do so.  There should be different ways to reach your goal or your doom (a time constraint could help here to make it a more daunting task).  You should be able to interact with several NPC's that can aid you or even betray you so you should be careful who do you trust and why based on attitudes and connections.

Short ideas:
- (Menu Based) Minister of Propaganda in a dictatorial system
- (Menu Based) Shrink of a goal oriented team (Sports, company, organization, etc) that has to try and keep the team toguether facing not only the teammates difficulties but also handling managers, presidents, his family life and the pressure to get make sure that the goals are met.
- (Menu Based) you're a political advisor.  YOu have to choose amongst a number of political wannabes and help him rise on the political scene making your own rep as you go.  If said candidate is taken down you can always go for another, just make sure you're not blamed for his fate.
- (Roguelike) Animal Gift: Animals suddenly gain rationale like humans (either by a deity or by human intervention).  Choose an animal and start trying to overcome any threats against your newly formed civ until you exterminate the rest or reach an equilibrium.  Earth may suffer in the process.  Each race has it's own abilities.

--------------------
Some general thoughts that don't involve an idea straight away (never mind this for brainstorming, give any ideas that come up to you no matter how incomplete, crazy, whatever they are):
   Practically every game you come up with can be related to a good or interesting existing game so we can take ideas from them and decide what are the hig and low points of these games to take into account.
--------------------
   Basically my thoughts are that there must be some kind of problem to solve or goal to achieve.  Purpose is what drives us.  I think we can not afford the luxury of making an exclusive sandbox game right now unless it has a spectacular and complex design. 
--------------------
   Menu based games would allow graphics because we could maximize the re-usability of said graphics. 
   Roguelikes should not use graphics in my opinion (I'm talking specifically about THIS project, not in general)
   Menu's may also allow real time mini games wich are a bit harder to implement convincingly in turn based roguelike systems.
--------------------
   I'm a fan of replayability.  That usually involves balanced (increased difficulty) and pseudo-random systems.

Interesting games (concepts) we could look at (feel free to add more):
MadTv
Middle east Conflict
Floor13
Covert Action
Sim City
Hidden Agenda
And so many others...

PS: Sorry if there are typos.  I just wanted to post this.

LEAVE THE WATERFALL OF IDEAS OPEN!  EVERYTHING WORKS IN BRAINSTORMING... WE NEED IDEAS!!! :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:23:31 pm by Alexhans »
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2009, 06:37:33 am »

id like to help also!

im going to learn a coding languagem, but Atm i can do art i suppose, and also brainsotorming if you wish.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2009, 09:43:48 am »

What about a roguelike where you start out alone or with a few NPCs, build a base, and defend it?
This would involve a 3D world somewhat like DF for your starting location, and you can go off(if you trust your base to last) to search for secial resources and stuff.

In the endgame, you have to fight off a massive army of evil, and as you strike down the last of them(their leader) you get teleported away and they take over your base(The only purpose of the massive army is to prevent players from intentionally making a weak base) and you must regain it. The True Evil Leader is inside, commanding his/her minions.
Eh?
Eh!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2009, 12:31:05 pm »

I would also be willing to help. I know a bit of C++, but that doesn't realy go beyond basic arythmetic functions, so don't expect too much of that yet. The thing I'm mostly interested in thouhg is world building; giving shape to ideas, writing background lore and comming up with an explenation for anything that has a place in the game.

Edit: Moar Conzeptz!

ID: interdimentional fight for survival
Introductionary story:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basicly, the game takes place on a post-apocalyptic earth, similar to fallout or stalker. You're the head of a team of scavangers who seek the radiated wasteland for food, tools and artefacts. Some of these artefacts aren't human though and are actualy from a diferent dimention. This dimention is slowly breaking into our dimention and if nothing is done, this will cause both to be toroughly messed-up.
This other dimention is, or actualy was like heaven, untill the colision started. Now strange things are happening. People are being killed, vilages disappear and things just go bad. Your task is to find out how to stop all this and defeat the generic Big Bad who's commiting a grim masterplan of interdimentional destruction from his own hellish world.
To defeat him you'll have to fight in 3 dimentions at the same time. Quite literaly, because you can see into the two other dimentions and switch at any time (once the obligatory prelude on the 3 planes seperatly has been completed), giving you a lot of freedom of movement and enabling a few cool effects.
I was thinking of making the 3 dimentions quite different. Earth would be the place to go to aquire guns, mutations and generaly advanced techs. Heaven would give you acces to a lot of interesting magical effects, potions et cetera, while the dark world would give you acces to spirits, necromancy and some quite vile substances that can be used in alchemy or just thrown at your opponents.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:24:23 pm by Virex »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2009, 01:20:05 pm »

id like to help also!

im going to learn a coding languagem, but Atm i can do art i suppose, and also brainsotorming if you wish.
help yourself....  ;D  Ideas are free....  Post whatever you think would be cool.

Just remember to ID the brainstorming so we can refer to it later.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2009, 01:22:49 pm »

before i do, what do we have so far, and what sort of graphican things are needed?

also, graphical stuff for characters would be a GOOD IDEA. im doubtful that it will cause lag.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2009, 01:30:05 pm »

We don't know if what type of game it's gonna be....

That's why we have to go through this stage... just spurt random ideas (menu based, action, roguelike, strategy, whatever games) and later on discuss wich are easier, funnier, more interesting to do and what are the specific mechanics gonna be.  What tools we will use.

Right now... Ideas, ideas, ideas...

EDIT:
Remember we can use this to make it tidier and a bit more organized.
Quote from: Alexhans
We could use a couple of guidelines but feel free to give the idea in any way you like (just make sure to ID it so we can reference it easyly):
0) ID: (So we can refer to it)
1) Theme
2) Type (action, rpg, puzzle, whatever)
3) Why is the game fun?
4) develop the idea.

Remember... this is the moment to throw WILD IDEAS out there... Dont discourage other people's ideas.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2009, 01:36:55 pm »

Aw, Virex beat me to the best idea by an hour.

I just started a thread on a post-apocalyptic survival challenge on the Discovery Channel, and it turned into an obvious game idea by the time I finished.  Basically the same as Virex, but more close to home than the Arcology thing.

Long and short, the world ended.  What be really cool is if you could pick-your-own-end, like viruses or zombies or climate change or Rapture or nukes or whatever, with extrapolating effects on the game world.  You can design your character, their life story, their starting situation and possessions.  The player has to scavenge plants, vermin, and leftovers for food, determining what's edible or how to make it so.  Scrounge for useful parts, anything from springs to engines to computers.  Make tools, make shelter, make weapons, make vehicles even.  Find and cooperate with survivors or go it alone.  Fight psychos and marauders.  All that post-apocalyptic shit you always wanted to do.

So, UnReal World, but in the burned out hulk of modern civilization instead of primeval Scandinavia.  Good idea?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2009, 04:47:18 pm »

How about a dungeon builder? I actually have a notebook somewhere with a bit more on that.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2009, 05:28:13 pm »

i like the Whole Zombie apocalypse theme.

barricade building and such would be nice,

Apocolypse themsed would be a good start.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2009, 06:02:01 pm »

Singleplayer SS13-like, starts nearly destroyed, has NPCs...
Eh?
Eh!

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2009, 06:10:45 pm »

that would be nice.

we should start a games design business, i already have a name (and a site, soon)

DEADMOUSE-STUDIOS!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2009, 11:37:36 am »

How about a dungeon builder? I actually have a notebook somewhere with a bit more on that.
well.... but you have to add something else to the idea...  ;)

We all seem to agree that self-sustaining worlds are fun to experiment with.  NPC's as need driven agents are a great thing too.  We'll have to discuss (When it's project desition time) which features are possible with the current resources and wich are not.

that would be nice.

we should start a games design business, i already have a name (and a site, soon)

DEADMOUSE-STUDIOS!
woah... Going too fast already...  :o

About the Zombie apocalypse theme... I was debating if we should do use a popular theme for a game or focus more on trying to find an interesting and original idea... I knew that zombie's theme would inmediatly hit the interest of most players.  We'll have to think it over.

Meanwhile... We need more ideas... More!!!! In a couple of days we will have to start deciding wich are we gonna use from the pool we have now.  So... let's widen the sample.

I'll post more tomorrow night.  Including the Prison one.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:53:56 am by Alexhans »

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

im already involved in game projects, Deadmouse-studios is my brainchild.

ive been involved in it for a few years :P

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

im already involved in game projects, Deadmouse-studios is my brainchild.

ive been involved in it for a few years :P
great... then you can teach us from experience... :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10