Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Collapse issue  (Read 1253 times)

Grugtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Collapse issue
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:29:25 pm »

First post here, so be gentle!

I have played DF on and off for awhile now and finally have a good enough PC to run a large fort. This being the case I am working on my first megaproject, and underground glass pyramid with a multi z level pit in the center for goblins, alter to Armok on top etc.

In an atempt to reduce the amount of mining I need to perform I decided to attempt a mass collapse to clear out the space. Right now the setup is......

# #
# #########
#................#
#.#######.#
#.#          #.#
#.#          #.#
#.#######.#
#................#
##########

#= Wall
. = Channel
(area condensed for post, central rock area is much larger)

Starting about 9 or so z levels up ( not on the same computer at the moment). The top most level has been completely mined out inside of the channeled area. The bottom level was also completely mined out, with 2 supports placed in the center. Supports were linked to a lever. When the lever was pulled the supports went poof but no collapse. I can't figure out what is holding the other levels up.

Any help would be welcome. ( if you need more info I could link some screen shots if needed)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:34:12 pm by Grugtar »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collapse issue
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 10:47:36 pm »

You also made the channels on the top level, right?

Grugtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:48:08 pm »

Yes.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:50:53 pm »

Well...  wait.  Now that I think about it, this is actually a somewhat bad idea.  The walls will just fall down a level, rather than being destroyed, since they're natural walls.

Is this intended pit a cube?  If not, maybe something weird happened there, but if so, I'd need to see screenshots or the map to figure it out.  Or maybe my brain is just not working right now.

Grugtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:56:47 pm »

Just moved to the comp DF is on, give me a few and you shall have them

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:00:49 pm »

Actually, I just thought of something.  Are there any stairs in the channel area?  Stair provide support.

Grugtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:10:36 pm »

No stairs or anything in the channel areas.

Here we go....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:21:29 pm »

...dummy realization.  You DO have cave-ins turn on in the init, right?

Failing that, I can't see anything wrong from those screenshots.  If there IS anything wrong with it, I'd probably have to see it on the DF map archive (or the save itself) for me to be able to see any problems.

But like I said, even if it collapsed, it wouldn't have the effect you're hoping for.  The walls inside the channel would just fall down a z-level, assuming there's solid ground (or the bottom of the map) below there.  As such, it's only academically worth figuring out what went wrong.

Grugtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:24:49 pm »

Not familiar with the save file uploads. Will take a look at what is involved( I use the mayday pack with beefmo creature sets if that will effect anything)

I don't mind digging out the stone sections of every level ( have enough free dwarves that a massive mining operation isn't an issue) Was mostly trying to avoid the micro management of digging each line of channels to open up the space.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:46:54 pm by Grugtar »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 11:27:43 pm »

Check your (df folder)/data/init/init.txt.  Is [CAVEINS:YES] set as such, or is it set to "NO"?

Grugtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 11:43:32 pm »

Sorry for the delay, was figuring out the df upload.

Cave ins are set to yes.

Init file:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save File upload

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1187

And thanks for the help!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:45:27 pm by Grugtar »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 12:11:15 am »

Okay, now that I went and downloaded that mod (since I don't use it), I was finally able to open up your save, and I found the problem.  There is an unmined floor near the southeast of the top floor (yes, a part that was chopped off from the images).  I'm re-engineering the collapse to see if it will work now, and as I suspected.

And it fell as expected, most of it only falling down one z-level.  Though there's a north-south line in the middle that was completely eradicated, and I don't know why.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:14:52 am by Malicus »

Grugtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 12:27:16 am »

Aha! Now I feel like an idiot!  :-\

Thanks you very much for taking the time to look at that.

I don't mine mass mining the other rock out, now that I see how it will collapse!

I award you 10,000 internets or some such!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 12:46:29 am »

If you still want a collapse, then mine out the floors for the entire area you want collapsed , build supports on each level, then dig the channels.  Then pull out the supports on the lowest level.  This would save you having to constantly redesignate your channels as much, anyway, but it wouldn't save much in the way of dwarf labor.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 07:55:49 am »

Okay, now that I went and downloaded that mod (since I don't use it), I was finally able to open up your save, and I found the problem.  There is an unmined floor near the southeast of the top floor (yes, a part that was chopped off from the images).  I'm re-engineering the collapse to see if it will work now, and as I suspected.

And it fell as expected, most of it only falling down one z-level.  Though there's a north-south line in the middle that was completely eradicated, and I don't know why.

I've gotten that north-south line when collapsing large chunks of terrain, so it's not just you. It gets filled in with grass eventually if it's on the surface.
Pages: [1] 2