Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves weild sword and sheild in one hand.  (Read 846 times)

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
Dwarves weild sword and sheild in one hand.
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:07:03 pm »

Why. I set my squad leaders to wield swords, 'cause they're the coolest, with a shield. They pick up equipment, and bam. They all hold their shield and sword in their right hand, and refuse to use their sword whilst doing so. I don't want this. Help.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves weild sword and sheild in one hand.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:14:18 pm »

Oh joy. Now I just found out even WITHOUT the shield, they still refuse to use a sword. I wish I could strangle them all. Then throw them off a cliff. Into razors.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:18:31 pm »

Release your anger, kill your troops in anger and your transformation into an elf shall be complete!

what are they refusing to do? train with swords or fight enemies?

You could have a bugged military like mine where they refuse to fight with certain weapons
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 08:22:58 pm »

Release your anger, kill your troops in anger and your transformation into an elf shall be complete!

what are they refusing to do? train with swords or fight enemies?

You could have a bugged military like mine where they refuse to fight with certain weapons

They refuse to train with swords. Haven't tried others. No nervous system damage, and the do have the sword in their hands.

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:24:02 pm »

Try going under weapons for the dwarfs doing this and change it to not having shields or weapons.  Once they drop their items, set it back to normal and see if it fixes it.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:28:57 pm »

Try going under weapons for the dwarfs doing this and change it to not having shields or weapons.  Once they drop their items, set it back to normal and see if it fixes it.
Did that, same result.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 08:31:06 pm »

You could take them out of the military and turn them into hunters, then (Hopefully) they'll kill things with thier swords
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 08:34:06 pm »

The only thing else I can suggest is to completely remove all armor and weapons from the weapon screen and change it back after since it could be possible he took it from another dwarf.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 08:36:01 pm »

Did that, same result.

Awkward, yet so unsurprising.

I'd suggest choosing one or the other to dump - once that's gone, then go thru the re-arming routine.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 09:28:53 pm »

Did that, same result.

Awkward, yet so unsurprising.

I'd suggest choosing one or the other to dump - once that's gone, then go thru the re-arming routine.
Done that as well. These ARE dwarves. They can't tell that THAT IS A BLEEPING SWORD IN YOUR HAND GOOD SIR USE IT.

To no avail. Dorf AI fails again.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 09:38:32 pm »

So you're trying to get them to spar with swords? Will they spar without swords? They're not stuck on duty, are they?

Is either the sword or shield an artifact?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 10:12:15 pm »

So you're trying to get them to spar with swords? Will they spar without swords? They're not stuck on duty, are they?

Is either the sword or shield an artifact?
No, no. I just made some fresh new iron shortswords (no flux) and ordered the officers to spar with them. They picked them up just fine, they even went to spar. But they wouldn't effing use them. They didn't even get Dabbling Swordsdwarf. All are off-duty. I don't even know why they won't use their left hand.

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 10:20:21 pm »

From what I know, if a dwarf wrestles an item away from another dwarf, they won't use their weapons but will only wrestle. Your dwarf could of took something while sparring to cause that.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 10:59:26 pm »

Sorry for these big gaps in response; I'm browsing 3 different forums at once. :P

I saw that he had the sword clutched tightly in his right hand. The wrestler didn't take it.

I gave a whole squad swords. I will report the results.

Upon further inspection, he seems to be fighting with it. He now has dabbling swordsdwarf, yet the shield problem still persists.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:07:25 pm by Vampire Penguin »

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 11:10:02 pm »

Sorry for these big gaps in response; I'm browsing 3 different forums at once. :P

I saw that he had the sword clutched tightly in his right hand. The wrestler didn't take it.

I gave a whole squad swords. I will report the results.

Upon further inspection, he seems to be fighting with it. He now has dabbling swordsdwarf, yet the shield problem still persists.

Could the dwarf possibly only have 1 hand?  I know it sounds dumb but it might happen...
Pages: [1] 2