Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bolt materials  (Read 1129 times)

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bolt materials
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:02:15 pm »

okay, final question for a while:
Do bolts of bone do more damage than wood or vice versa? Is damage the same?
The wiki had no specific answer.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Bolt materials
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:05:06 pm »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 03:06:56 pm »

Wood and bone is the same. They're all 50% damage.

Metal bolts do a lot more damage than wood/bone bolts, and you can also melt down the individual metal bolts (preferably all at the same smelter!) to reclaim metal to make more bolts.

Your dwarves will also practice only with wood or bone bolts. They will not use metal bolts on the archery range, unless its live fire training. On live targets.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 03:11:57 pm »

Wood and bone is the same. They're all 50% damage.

I'd add on to this that it's 50% damage of an iron bolt of comparable quality.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:19:06 pm »

Yup. Iron is the standard material. With iron, what you see is what you get. With everything else it varies. Silver is 50% of iron (just like wood and bone), IIRC. Steel is like 150% or something.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 03:20:29 pm »

Steel is like 150% or something.

133%.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 03:37:07 pm »

I'd recommend breeding animals like cows or horses for bolts, if you're as stingy with your ores as I am. IIRC you get 30 bolts from a single foal or calf, and all your females should give birth each year, with litters of 2 or 3 being quite frequent.

From what I've seen, you shouldn't worry about the reduced damage since marksdwarves are badass enough even with penalties. Not to mention that your fletcher will attain legendary bonecarver soon enough, and masterwork cow bolts are as good as basic quality iron bolts, and more plentiful.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 05:16:23 pm »

Bone bolts may be a bit more plentiful than iron, but you should have more than enough iron after a few goblin deliveries sieges to spare some for bolt production. That, and you need a ton of bone bolts to train up your marksdwarves to reasonably high levels. So unless you've got four or five bone carvers working around the clock on bolts and enough bones to keep them busy, having a small stockpile of iron bolts to guarantee a sufficient amount for siege defense isn't a bad idea.

Iron bolts are also a useful way to train up weaponsmithing if you don't want to melt down the weapons you're producing (I'm running a huge backlog of goblin gear that needs to be melted down. Not sure I'll be able to finish it all off until I build my permanent smelters in a year or two. Edit: Just checked the fort: Around 21-22 pages of sixteen items are waiting to be melted down and I only have two smelters running).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:21:22 pm by Ashery »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 06:14:15 am »

I see where you're coming from. It's been a while since I had invaders on, so I didn't remember too well how much iron I could expect to loot from them.

Still, I don't foresee a shortage of non-metal bolts in my case. I'm breeding cows, muskoxes and camels with 10 females each and I'm probably going to increase the number of females once my starting dogs die off. I've also got a shitload of wood I'm gonna probably gonna make a couple thousand bolts out of, since I don't know what to do with my wood anymore.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 05:15:13 pm »

I'd recommend breeding animals like cows or horses for bolts, if you're as stingy with your ores as I am. IIRC you get 30 bolts from a single foal or calf, and all your females should give birth each year, with litters of 2 or 3 being quite frequent.

From what I've seen, you shouldn't worry about the reduced damage since marksdwarves are badass enough even with penalties. Not to mention that your fletcher will attain legendary bonecarver soon enough, and masterwork cow bolts are as good as basic quality iron bolts, and more plentiful.

My marksdwarves never even seem to bother changing bolts, they can wast e goblin at 50 paces with a masterfully crafted bone bolt  ::)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 05:20:50 pm »

I usually use iorn bolts as last resort for defence(goblins going way to far and killing my elites before they can becaome champs)
Hello Hunam

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 01:33:23 am »

Bone bolts all the way dude.  You can never have enough around.  Though, not a bad idea to keep 1k or so of Iron bolts around just in case.

10 marksdwarfs training will burn through about 30k bone bolts(I think that is about right) on their way to Legendary.  Recommend Elephant bones => stacks of 80 bolts.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 09:28:33 am »

Since we're on the subject, I seem to notice my marksdwarves won't use exceptional or masterwork bone bolts in training.   It goes against what I thought, can anyone confirm?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 11:51:13 am »

You get more bones if you let them grow up before butchering.

Since we're on the subject, I seem to notice my marksdwarves won't use exceptional or masterwork bone bolts in training.   It goes against what I thought, can anyone confirm?

Are they using other bone bolts?
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 12:21:27 pm »

You get more bones if you let them grow up before butchering.

Indeed, but I can't be arsed. It's less micromanagement for me to just go 'b' on any newborn foals or calves instead of letting them grow up.
Pages: [1] 2