Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ability to move the starting wagon  (Read 10122 times)

Zack Weinberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zwol.livejournal.com/
Ability to move the starting wagon
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:41:43 pm »

Sometimes the dwarves park the wagon that you arrive at your site with in a really dumb place, like right next to the exposed top of the magma pipe, where all the fire imps are hangin'.  I can tell them to start digging far away from the wagon, but then they have to go back and forth to retrieve all the items that they packed and it takes forever and probably increases the chance of the fire imps noticing them.

It would be nice if there were a way to move the wagon, before unloading it.

Zack Weinberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zwol.livejournal.com/
Re: Ability to move the starting wagon
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 02:47:56 pm »

Man, I coulda sworn I read everything on the eternal suggestions list before posting.   :-[

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 03:03:55 pm »

CTRL+f is your friend over there and in the consolidated dev page.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:09:31 pm »

Don't worry, it's no huge problem.  :)

Wagon stuff is tough stuff because if you can move the wagon, suddenly people are asking "Why can't I build a new wagon and use it to haul microcline from the far-off quarry?", and that's a very difficult question to answer, somewhere along the lines of "why do bad things happen to good people" or "why did God let the Nazis exist".

I expect it'll be addressed eventually, in a really very satisfactory way, but I dunno if simple starting-wagon stuff will happen sooner...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 03:17:39 pm »

I think placing the wagon manually is more important than moving it. Even if the ability to move it is implemented, it'll still end up on 1 tile mountaintops and explode. Or catch fire before you can get it out of the volcano

How did the wagon get into the middle of a forest to begin with? Why do we only get one wagon regardless of the weight of goods?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 03:57:38 pm »

I think placing the wagon manually is more important than moving it. Even if the ability to move it is implemented, it'll still end up on 1 tile mountaintops and explode. Or catch fire before you can get it out of the volcano

How did the wagon get into the middle of a forest to begin with? Why do we only get one wagon regardless of the weight of goods?
they have immense capacity

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 06:35:35 am »

Think, every creature in DF takes up one space. Even a Colossuss. Wagons are what, 3x4?

They're HUGE. ;)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 11:38:46 am »

Actually, if you use cheats to embark with a lot of items, you'll get multiple wagons. I managed to get three before by taking about 1000 non-stackable items with me.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.