Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 669 times)

Wexeee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:05:59 pm »

Hey, due to some excellent newby tutorials around on these forums and the wiki, I now have a fairly large (~150 dwarfs) fortress. However i have a few questions:

1. I had a small near disaster whilst making a large cistern above my fortress for an overpowered flooding chamber ad now have a main hallway which was engraved covered in mud. Is there anyway to remove the mud without building stuff on top and then removing it?

2. Is there any way of removing champion fortress/royal guard from the guard and using them for the military and visa versa moving spinal injury champions to the guard ?

3. According to the stocks menu I now have 37000 stones, does hiding them help lag/fps or do you have to destroy them?

4. I put a floor over part of an outside bit of my fortress is there a way of making this indoors so it dosen't cause problems with the "dwarfs stay indoors order"?

5. Just how much road is 5000 moneys worth of road (for the king to come)?

Thanks

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:34:28 pm »

1) I don't honestly know.  Check the wiki and use the forum search function.

2) No.  They're stuck once they reach hero level.

3) Not sure.  Wiki might have the answer.

4) Any area that has a ceiling should count as indoors.(eg, if you construct a floor above, it doubles as a ceiling for the area immediately below)

5) Not sure, presumably look at the value of the material you're using to build it.

Sorry I don't have all your answers.  Somebody will show up in ten minutes with all of them, most likely.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:35:11 pm »

1. I noticed Dragon fire works.

2. Nope.

3. You need to destroy them via crushing under a bridge (Atom-Smasher), dumping into a chasm/pit or melting with magma.

4. Not sure, but there is a recent thread on this if you look back a week or so.

5. I don't understand your question.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:41:41 pm »

5. It depends what you build it out of - road value is determined from the value of the components used. See here for more information.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:50:55 pm »

Sorry I don't have all your answers.  Somebody will show up in ten minutes with all of them, most likely.

*Heroic trumpet announcal*

1. Unfortunately, no. Building floors on top of mud is the only way to remove it.

2. Nope.

3. I doubt hiding does anything. The game still keeps track of it. You'll likely have to destroy them if you want the fps boost, although, I'm not sure if destroying them actually does anything for your fortress' frame rate anyway.

4. The 'Dwarves stay inside' order should really be called the 'Dwarves stay underground' order. Putting a floor tile over anything that's labeled as above ground will have no effect in regards to that order.

5. Not very much. There's basic road value, which is multiplied by the sum of the individual worth of each item in the road, and then there's an architectural multiplier as well. I'm not entirely certain the previous is completely accurate, but it should give you a good idea of how these things work. Anyways, you probably have a few valuable metal bars lying around somewhere, just build a road with those and a few other materials as necessary, and you should get the road value pretty quickly. If it doesn't meet it, just keep building roads until you do.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Wexeee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 02:03:36 pm »

Thanks for all the really rapid responses.

Another thing just cropped up as I was playing; I had a mandate from my mayor for 15 masons guild jobs, reading the wiki it suggested that blocks will do but i built about 60 of them from the jobs menu but I couldn't get below the last couple of jobs (2/15) and hence defaulted. Did I just need to build more or is there a list of jobs that you specifically need to do?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 02:07:13 pm »

The jobs might've been for building walls, and other things that require the masonry skill. I don't know if placing furniture or building it counts.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 02:20:25 pm »

1. Unfortunately, no. Building floors on top of mud is the only way to remove it.

You can also smooth over (regular ol') mud to remove it, but I have no idea what the result is of smoothing mud that is over engravings.  Probably unpleasant or impossible, but I just don't know.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 02:37:42 pm »

I'm fairly sure you can't smooth an engraved tile, I think I tried that to remove low quality engravings in my dining hall and it didn't work. I hope I'm mistaken, it would make engraving for value much easier, but if it's engraved I'm afraid the only way to get rid of the mud is to destroy the engraving via construction or magma.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:54:09 pm »

But is it seen as an "engraved tile" or a "muddied tile" (or both?)  Hmmm... time for an experiment...  :P

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 03:59:53 pm »

But is it seen as an "engraved tile" or a "muddied tile" (or both?)  Hmmm... time for an experiment...  :P

Pretty sure your engraved floor is gonna remain muddied unless you floor it over or do whatever else it takes to destroy engravings.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 10:04:40 am »

On road value:

... I can't give much math on how many exact squares of road it will take, and how many blocks of what material that will take, but I can say this:
I thought the amount of road I needed (and still needed, before abandoning out of boredom) was ridiculous.  I built a 7-tile wide road south from my main gates all the way to the edge of the map.  It didn't even get me halfway there, so I had to start building a second road branching from that one to the East.  I got to the edge, and STILL was only around 35000/50000 Dwarfbucks.  This was only on a 4x4 starting area, of course, and so I may just not have enough area to work with.

... Although it DID, at least, allow me to get rid of a lot of stone.  All those blocks, and the statues I lined the road with, went a pretty long way, actually.  Not long enough, though.

So while, for some, it's "not a lot" of road, for me it was "way more road than I wanted."
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!