Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Parasitic Mushrooms  (Read 4231 times)

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: Parasitic Mushrooms
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 05:04:52 am »

Is reminded of that damn plant that is "intelligent?" and eats flesh, and your fucked as soon as it touches you...because it colonizes victims on contact, and mimics sounds lureing/distracting one to death. Desides that this suggestion is under that needs to be implemented with destructive reactions catigory, namely uranium/plutonium.  Nuke da fort senerio.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 08:14:32 am »

Is reminded of that damn plant that is "intelligent?" and eats flesh, and your fucked as soon as it touches you...because it colonizes victims on contact, and mimics sounds lureing/distracting one to death. Desides that this suggestion is under that needs to be implemented with destructive reactions catigory, namely uranium/plutonium.  Nuke da fort senerio.
Are talking about the original 'the Thing'?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 09:55:15 am »

This needs to be a HFS, though. Heheh, I don't think Toady should mention it in the release. You'd just get your dwarves acting all weird and partying near the mushroom......
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 11:32:10 am »

I like it.  There are fungi which do exactly this to ants and other insects.

Presumable the infected dwarf should eventually jump off a cliff and explode in a spore cloud or something similar.
The spinning pixie strikes the dwarf in the upper eyebrow.  It explodes in spores!
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 03:30:18 pm »

Have any of you read City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer? It's about a city called Ambergris that is filled with fungus and mushrooms of many different vivid discriptions. This includes a fungus that slowly takes over people's bodies. There is also a civilization of mushroom-like people called "Gray Caps" living under the city, who are a sort of HFS.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 04:41:43 am »

When the hell was the thing a plant....i was thinking more of the evil plants in the Ruins book/movie.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 05:15:51 am »

When the hell was the thing a plant....i was thinking more of the evil plants in the Ruins book/movie.
Oh yes! The black&white version of 'the Thing' involved alien/ancient plants found in the antarctic ice. that only started to flourish when the chief botanist/scientist fed them some of his blood.
From there events spiral to inevitable doom and the burning of the outpost. :D
Admittedly, the first thing that came to mind was 'Triffids' when I read your post, but besides being ambulant vegetables the similarities end.

Some authosrs featured in 'Heavy Metal' magazine are also heavilly into fungii, BTW. I recall a gnome kinda being that became rotten with mushrooms after abusing some hallucinogenic fungi.
I'll try to find the issue and scan the image. :D

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 05:47:40 am »

I don't remember the original black and white "Thing" being fed blood. What the hell was that botanist thinking!?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2009, 06:10:56 am »

Oh yes! The black&white version of 'the Thing' involved alien/ancient plants found in the antarctic ice. that only started to flourish when the chief botanist/scientist fed them some of his blood.
From there events spiral to inevitable doom and the burning of the outpost. :D
Admittedly, the first thing that came to mind was 'Triffids' when I read your post, but besides being ambulant vegetables the similarities end.

Some authosrs featured in 'Heavy Metal' magazine are also heavilly into fungii, BTW. I recall a gnome kinda being that became rotten with mushrooms after abusing some hallucinogenic fungi.
I'll try to find the issue and scan the image. :D

If my brain didn't explode with rememberance, mostly for that fungi affected mutant spider that kills prey through paralizingly hallucinogenic venom, damn i wish I could remember the title to that book...whole insane.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 06:20:59 am »

I don't remember the original black and white "Thing" being fed blood. What the hell was that botanist thinking!?
the seedlings were iron deficient and dying, it was a desperate gamble. :)
When he saw it worked, he even hooked up bags of plasma etc in the greenhouse.

hehehe "feeeeed me!"

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 06:21:58 am »

Well, he still goes down in history as an epic retard.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 11:52:50 am »

Have any of you read City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer? It's about a city called Ambergris that is filled with fungus and mushrooms of many different vivid discriptions. This includes a fungus that slowly takes over people's bodies. There is also a civilization of mushroom-like people called "Gray Caps" living under the city, who are a sort of HFS.

Here is an excerpt from one of the stories in the book, featuring a parasitic fungus:
http://www.sfsite.com/06a/tc129.htm

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009, 03:47:51 pm »

urgh that quite literally sends me shivering, one of the worst things i think is when they show the fungus growing in a time lapse.

i know that one time i had this nightmare of that white fungus that seems like the most common one, well anyways i was asleep, i knew i was asleep which was rather odd, when suddenly it started to just puff out of everything growing as if in one of those time lapses, i remember in the dream starting to sit up and i could literally feel the moss or fungus or whatever it was start to shred and do whatever the heck it does when it tears, well i was half asleep now and i started trying to wipe off my arms and everything and that really woke me up finally. it probably didn't help that my room was extremely messy at the time.

jeeze my subconscious is messed up...

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 04:57:09 pm »

It would be nice if these mushrooms would have some kind of use to them, maybe like extracting poison or something?

Sell them to the elves.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4