Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Parasitic Mushrooms  (Read 4234 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: Parasitic Mushrooms
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 10:20:20 am »

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 10:34:26 am »

I like the suicide shrooms idea - They make your dwarf either try to kill himself or go berserk and attack others. When he dies, he releases a spore cloud. Any blood that gets this dwarves blood on him, or touches the corpse, or wrestles with him after he's gone mad, runs the risk of becoming infected. So body becomes contact poison (mushroom infection) and so does the blood.

It should also have maybe a season or two of growing time, a season where the dwarf starts showing symptoms (so a particularly observant player could detect them and deal with the problem rather than losing their infected legendary) but where the infection is still curable, and then a season where the dwarf tries to commit suicide or goes berserk.

With the new medical system, there could be some sort of proccessable substance you can make as a cure, rare enough you can't mass produce it and give it to everyone as a safety precaution, but common enough that the disease won't wipe out a well prepared fort.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 04:26:01 pm »

Urist McShroomBait cancels Sleep: Psychedelic Parasite Takeover.

Maybe if they recovered, they'd be immune to future infection?

EDIT: And maybe if the infected dwarf died, the corpse would spread a cloud of spores that have a chance of infecting other organisms...

It would be nice if these mushrooms would have some kind of use to them, maybe like extracting poison or something?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:29:44 pm by Lord Dakoth »
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 06:00:33 pm »

Supplemental idea:
cavern 'herbs' as collectable wild mushrooms could potentially have a random chance of generating any of the above toxic reactions in dwarves.
skilled gatherers would be less likely to collect poisonous examples.
Each collected batch of wild mushrooms looks identical except in effect (it is a herterogenous mix).
Perhaps an alchemist can eventually detect and remove toxic ones or even claim them for creating (anti)venom potions.

The same could be done with aboveground herbs: unskilled gatherers having a chance of collecting inedible/disgusting/toxic berries and herbs.

ed: when I first saw this topic I thought of dwarves growing mushrooms out of their beards and ears. :D
another digusting covering layer: dwarfmold
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:02:14 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 10:37:22 pm »

the flood
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:39:29 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 10:39:00 pm »

Supplemental idea:
cavern 'herbs' as collectable wild mushrooms could potentially have a random chance of generating any of the above toxic reactions in dwarves.
skilled gatherers would be less likely to collect poisonous examples.
Each collected batch of wild mushrooms looks identical except in effect (it is a herterogenous mix).
Perhaps an alchemist can eventually detect and remove toxic ones or even claim them for creating (anti)venom potions.

The same could be done with aboveground herbs: unskilled gatherers having a chance of collecting inedible/disgusting/toxic berries and herbs.

ed: when I first saw this topic I thought of dwarves growing mushrooms out of their beards and ears. :D
another digusting covering layer: dwarfmold

100% Awesome...  I could see plants not being identified unless you have a skilled herbalist, and there being roles for specific herbs (that require a smart herbalist to id the herbs first, and roles for generic 'herbs' where the effect of the herb is added as a sub benefit-penalty (Say, herb roasted naked mole dog, where the herbs quality modifier adds to the value, but you don't know what that is until you cook it, and the most common herb shares a multiplier with the poisonous one.)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 02:36:09 am »

What is all this nonsense about  fleas? Dwarves are already mud-caked ass-scratching insect-ridden putrid bags of rotten meat. I don't think that fleas will annoy them.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 05:31:51 am »

Right now, I imagine our dwarves have detritus encrusted dreadlocked beards, their hair molding into a impenetrable mat and natural armour/smithingapron...but where did the fleas come from?
flood..ew. I tasted it once. just ew. :-X
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 05:42:05 am »

I like it.  There are fungi which do exactly this to ants and other insects.

Presumable the infected dwarf should eventually jump off a cliff and explode in a spore cloud or something similar.
that is actually what that fungus makes the ant do.
Not heard of fungus and ants and jumping, but what came to my mind was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicrocoelium_dendriticum#Life_cycle
(Flukeworm, ants and clinging to the top of grass stalks.)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 09:10:20 pm »

What is all this nonsense about  fleas? Dwarves are already mud-caked ass-scratching insect-ridden putrid bags of rotten meat. I don't think that fleas will annoy them.

See, for some reason, I always figured that Dwarves, being a pinnacle of civilization, would be a fairly clean people (well, clean for a pseudo-medieval civilization, anyway).  If they care so deeply for their beards, for instance, I would imagine that they are regularly cleaned and intricately braided, covered in stone and precious metals in the form of jewelry.
... Although I suppose without any kind of bathing in the game (short of swimming with the carp), it's safe to assume that these aren't among those kind of Dwarves.  I look forward to having a legendary bathing hall, much like my dining hall, which I might attempt to make as my next megaproject; a flip of a lever rushes water into a statue garden with several grates in the floor, "bathing" anyone inside.

Otherwise... mud-caked?  After a hard days' work, yes, and proud of it.  Ass-scratching?  Probably.  Dwarves have never been known for other races' manners.  Insect-ridden?  I kind of doubt it.  Putrid?  Well... that depends upon the time of day, how much they've had to drink, and whether or not they've gone outside with cave adaptation.  As for sacks of rotting meat, that's kind of the default state of carbon-based vertebrate life.  I'll give you that one.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just assigning silly Human values of cleanliness to a people that regularly lives underground.  Still... it's hard for me to imagine them not bathing at all - the rampant diseases, even among a people resistant to them - would eventually clue them in... right?
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 09:16:11 pm »

I actually had a dream about this last night.

Coyote Sans has been struck by the fey!
Hello Hunam

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 11:09:25 pm »

I actually had a dream about this last night.

Coyote Sans has been struck by the fey!

Flesh-eating parasitic mushrooms? That, my friend, is what we call the spawn of a FELL mood.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 11:16:06 pm »

Coyote Sans creates a legendary suggestion of suggestioness! It's not the suggestion's evilness, it's teh suggestions brilliance.
Hello Hunam

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 03:44:00 am »

That would be some serious "fun". Imagine it, you're in your 3rd year, the goblin siegers have been driven back, and as you prepare to stock up...MADNESS!! Every month or so another dwarf succumbs to the collective. Your nobles go berserk! Your miners go melancholy! Everything you had under control is brought down about your knees! You administer a cure to those with the infection only to discover that your mechanics have gone unnoticed! They have created fevered works of unholy landscaped pocked with the bones of dead gods!

IA-IA SHUB NIGGURATH, The black goat of the woods with a thousand young!

be right back. I have to go mod DF Call of Cthulhu edition...

only in this forum... that is the stuff of nightmares, seriously, there's enough freaky parasitic stuff in the world as is, i don't want to add [unwilling awakening of amarok/cthulu] to life's raws...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 04:18:13 am »

Do you know what a Cordyceps is? I didn’t either until 20 minutes ago. It’s a family of thousands of different types of fungus, grows all around the word in various rainforests and jungles. The awful thing about them is they’re parasitic, they grow on other animals. An ant happens to run into some spores, and then it starts to colonize his insides, starting with his brain. At some point, the ant starts to act visibly ill; standing in place and shivering, or walking in circles. If a fellow colony member sees him in this condition, he will be dragged to the border of the colony and exiled.

Then, when it’s almost over, the ant weakly climbs as high as he can up the vines, and locks his body on tight. Finally, he dies, and the fungus emerges from the back of his head, bursting forth like a long and foul fruit. After a short time, the little stalk spews forth its own spores, leaving the mummified and broken ant clinging to the stalk, his eye cavities filled with drying fungus.

I mention this because last night, when I was up on the roof of my apartment complex, I found my brother’s body.

He’s been back from 18 months on duty in Belbezevost Närangagak Äkig for less than three days. This was the first I’d seen him. My parents called me up the day before yesterday to tell me that he was on his way up. They told me he’d stayed in his room since he got home, and then suddenly got up and announced he was on his way to see me. They thought he was drunk, I’d thought he’d never made it.

He must have come straight up to the roof and died, by the smell of it. I was just finishing a cigarette, all torn up with anxiety and head throbbing, and when the acrid smoke vanished I caught a whiff of rot on the hot wind. It took me just a few minutes before I’d found him; face down behind the vents and fans. A slimy gray column rose up obscenely from the base of his skull, and a frozen waterfall of roots and tendrils was dangling from his eye sockets and mouth. At the top of stalk was small arrangement of feathery wisps, a white powder drifting idly from it tips.

The spores must have drifting over the north side of the building all day. My side of the building. I came down to my apartment to try to call up the police, and my headache was rising to a feverish throb. I got through the door, and the moment I reached for the phone, pain flared in my head, so bad I almost passed out. I’ve since tried three times and I can never get my hand up on it.

The same thing happens when I try to get up and leave the room; I feel spines of ice tunneling up into my skull and my limbs lock up and shudder.

The ants, in their last moments crawl as high up the vines as he can climb. This is so the spore will spread over more of the colony below. In the end, the parasite controls the ant with an almost intelligent drive. God help me.

The pain is almost blinding now, and a new thought has been rising up rhythmically in my head, like a record skipping. Up. Up. Up. It’s joined by an image of my office tower. It’s taller than my apartment, the tallest place I can think off and although the bulge on the back of my neck is the size of a peach, the skin stretched shiny, and I’m dizzy and my eyes are cloudy, I think I can make it there. Up.

No. I’m sick. I need help.

The building pulses again in my mind. The cold wind. The roof and the sky. These images and concepts dull the pain momentarily as they pass through my mind. I think I can get there. Up. Up.

If you live in downtown Shedimkulet Gatiz, I would get the fuck out.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4