Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (in creation:awaiting recommendations before finalisation) Hammer of Doom mod  (Read 1003 times)

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
  • b.marley 'donsit on ur pride -just get hiiidodobdo
    • View Profile
    • grimmwold - rp server i play dwarf called Blig - uo

with a silly name inspired by the death metal song on the radio atm, and in commemoration of the commencing of my Dwarf Fortress comic which is in creation and who's 'cover' artwork will be scanned soon and added to this post (i'm a beginning professional warhammer scale minature sculptor, under a company called Eureka Minatures (http://www.eurekamin.com.au/) and i've always wanted to make a fantasy comic) i present to thee, my fellow slaves - to:

the Hammer of Doom mod (name pending reevaluation)

Before i release it in it's first stages - I ask to thee, fellow slaves, that besides reading my 'done' list and giving it a thumbs up - if anyone has any cool additions or recommendations or even raw additions, give me a pm or just let us know below.

So FAR:

Dwarves remain rather the same. But besides crossbows, the Dwarves are mechanically enough savvy enough (a tom fool dwarf can make a cruddy bauxite mechanism, made by his brother who was drunk and blind from a spear sparring session, move a mountain a kilometer away if they have the will and aren't being busy not being somethings lunch etc etc) to have the knowhow enough to create a large assortment of particularly dwarvish Firearms and various interesting types of makeshift ammunition (or expensive stamped uniform master iron/steel standard ammunition round shots in the thousands, if they are opulent enough*);
: available to (D)warf, (O)rc, (E)lf, (H)igh Elf, (G)obbo, (K)obold, Hu(M)an so forth
So far
Standard flint Muskets (avaliable w/ musket (uses spear skill for melee and hurts) and not) (D,O,H,G,K,M)
Handcannons (w/ igniting & explosive & shrapnel shots) (ALL but Elf & High Elf)
Blunderbuss (w/ metal slug & shrapnel shots) (D,O,G (haha! fitting, it's a bitch).. oh and Humans.
Matchlock rifles w/ w/o bayonet, & matchlock pistols) w/ metal round shots (all but orcs n gobbos)

the following is (D)warf only, but humans will have it rarely, and the odd orc marksman may have one and 12 crap ammo for it - this is the dwarves pride and joy.
The Hammerlock Cannon:D
For it, are the Hammer(lock) shots, essentially massive projectiles or blundgeoning metal slugs that do nothing but hit the target, rarely penetrating, and sending massive bludgeon damage into those concerned. These bastards aren't cheap or easy to make, but i suppose the ammo isn't hard to make, and it's a great self esteem raiser for all training marksdwarves etc etc.

alongside it are flammable versions of hammerlock shots, but they aren't as common or as cool as sending 7 inch wide roughly rounded clumps of steel/iron/copper/fecking bone to send those naked orcish bastards down into an appropriately channelled hole of death by the bucketloads. Even if a Hammer round doesn't do much damage to a really tough beast or meganess etc, it can still send them flying down a pit of lava in one smart shot.

There are several, poncy elvish rifles and pistols too, but none of them have any exploding damage or go boom, and only one has a (rather fierce) bayonet adaption. You probably won't see anyone but elves with any of these.

Kobolds will have the odd stolen pistol or musket, and it'll probably encumber him beyond his petty little frame, and even the littlest pistol he'll have to use braced 2 handed.
Gobbos will have the odd musket or bayonet rifles, or they might get lucky and have a cruddy handcannon and some shrapnel shot, so watch it.

Orcs will come at you with crappy iron muskets, blunderbusses, and the odd handcannon., alongside all sorts of nasty weaponry, & they'll mostly be naked.(which is good, only lewt is smeltable or worth something, and is a frighteningly scale mental picture sometimes)

Onto that, the Orcs now worship greater powers like the goblin kin they share, and are avid crappy evil road/bridge/fortress/cave/ugliness and evil builders and generators. They run fast, usually have nothing on but a scrap of iron armor and a crude mask and sometimes a loincloth, and they run real fast. They are suckers for traps, still, but they feel no pain and suffer no fear, and are blindly stupid. But feeling no pain gives them rather extreme damage tolerance, and a not dead orc can keep on kicking til the north and the south are severed. Mostly, though, a line of musketeers will shred enough naked orc torsos and masks to put down most of them, and if you've got a spear you can impale them good.

They share a kin, Dire Orcs, who live in more extreme environments, and are even more naked, and never have any firearms, they run (even faster than normally) out of nowhere when you least expect them, and are ridiculously uneffected by the most mashing of trap layouts, and they just keep running til they have no legs/head or they're towering above you with a giant crude horrid bit of metal that roughly resembles a sword. Dire orcs are a power of their own, running amok and living amongst ruins and caves, or just pillaging and moving in on the most unexpecting of places. 20 of the bastards will cause you ruin if you aren't ready to accommodate such characters. They don't own much but the blade they stole when they were younger that hasn't broken yet. God knows what they eat.

High elves are the sophisticated, less superstitious and cosmically attuned Elf kin. The other elves are now forest elf kin, so you can hate one and not the other, or both, now. So we have high elven soldiers in elven scale mail with pretty shields and pikes and swift metal blades all movie lotr stylez, and silly conical hats etc, but with the inclusion of fancy pike muskets with fancy metalwork and frilly bits etc, and they'll live in big fortress cities in their forest and aren't too picky about shoving a spear down a tigers throat because its disturbing the peace. They'll build lovely roads and large walls and look nice a silver/blue etc. Good on them.

Their cousins remain large uneffected - but with the inclusion of cannabis(a large rejoice became over my fortress as when our first hydroponic system bound its first crop, and the standing soldiers and children were able to add this wonderful herb to their diet, I've yet to see a cannabis leaf as an inscription yet though, a few dwarves love it for its taste and relaxing properties, though) as a vital trade commodity it can be insured they remain largely in an inefficient stupor (i, for one remain a singular elf sympathizer on this board, it would seem)
But since everyone has guns and they still eat grass and make blades out of wood, they no longer harass anyone over tree cutting, perhaps ever since half their folk decided it was a much better to be badass and make oak tables and live in stone mansions, making them much viable sources of cannabis seeds and buyers of useless goblin clothes.
I'll give them credit in saying that they only worship sensible things like nature in its extreme divinity, and rivers and ancient forest elemental forces etc, and have excellent longbows and arrows that'll pierce a naked hobgoblin dead on his knees before he even sees the 30 elves having a teaparty under that tree.

Goblins and Orcs may worship the same Demon, leading them to fight you together (may have to be verified by more playtesting, though), or hang around the same arse vents of the world you create.

Kobolds remain out of sight, and only come to get children to eat etc. But one may have a musket and have worked out how to use it.

Heater Shields (D,O,Man, it's big and weights a ton and has lower and higher protect, it's perfect for gun fights.
Kite Shields (All but Kobolds) - better than bucklers, not as good as normal shields.

Other than that - Megabeasts have been given alot more damage block in order to combat the explosion of flash rifles going off in all directions, soo expect them all to be tougher, but only to the extent that they'll fuck you over til your guy with a hammerlock cannon runs in and gets in a good spot.

A few new Axes and swords for everyone. Longbows (i already said that), cannabis, plants amore, vicious elves with steel armor. Dire orcs that'll run in out of nowhere and fuck you over. Marksdwarves that'll save the day after half the mess has been done because they had to run and get some ammo. Awesome.

I'll eventually do a custom character set for Orcs, Dire Orcs and High elves, and get permission to release it with the ones i'm using atm til i am done, and i've got a custom tileset going but you can just use your own, but is there any major criticisms or recommendations or comments or wants/needs/etc/ before i release this as a zip? I'm doing this for YOU - this mod is kicking arse for me :D 

*also - any modders who could help me, if its possible, make it so ammo can be constructed out of metal only, and possibly have no gem additions? i'm sick of bone rounded shots exceptionally encrusted with peridot and showing the history of an elven revolution in the year 93 leadby one Elven mister wackabottom & their onslaught against the human kingdom of gonzo leading to a vicious defeat and victory by the humans, thank you very much. This addition would greately increase the realism of this mod before i release it. Thank you all.

p.s. nearly forgot : for Dwarves - Boom Axes (a large blunderbus styled handcannon sturdy enough to have an axehead built into it.. that's good.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:58:11 am by eddyg86 »
my fortress is full of kitties

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

90% of everything here will need to wait until the next version  :'( I wass sssoo hopefull

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

Whatchoo talking bout, Jaked? Apparently, he's already done them, and I can see how.

For metal-only ammo, your solution is in the smelter. Remove the relevant ammo from the playable entity file (I'm pretty sure nobody else will use bone or wood, except the wood elves, bu thy're backwards longbowing hillbillies anyway) and make a smelter reaction for each type of ammo.

CAVEAT: Hunters and the like either immigrating or getting free crap on embark will NOT get free ammo if they randomly get a weapon that takes metal ammo, also there will be no quality levels, which I suppose is kinda fitting, because they're going to be cast from  fluffy point of view anyway.

Also, you might want to make a new kind of metal with a name like ' ' (that is, a space) so you don't get the game specifying HEY GUYS? THIS AMMO IS IRON. IRRRRROOONNNNN. YEAH. and also so you don't get people sneakily melting down cheap ammunition for iron. Make the metal [BRITTLE], so if sneaky bastards ry it, they'll be left with useless 'bars'.

Thank neoadept for all this, by the way- I'm just repeating his ideas.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

dammit, I crushed the brilliant Idea of a modder :-X  :'(

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
  • b.marley 'donsit on ur pride -just get hiiidodobdo
    • View Profile
    • grimmwold - rp server i play dwarf called Blig - uo

thanks man - for the idea - don't worry about shattering my dreams - i'm just too stoned and dorf obsessed to have checked this post in a few weeks.

The smelter idea is great - but i'd almost PREFER that you could have an iron/lead/etc prefex, and perhaps make it so round shots can only be made from iron/lead/steel?/whatever for realism's sake - BUT the issue is
The npc civs should be able to use ammo too - i'd love humans to have muskets and blunderbuses and matchlock pistols etc... same with the odd wild high elf/kobold/orc who might use one rather than a crossbow or bow... and if i use a smelter reaction then they lose any ammo spawn and therefore render any firearms useless.

In the playtesting, as high elves use metal (steel), as do dorfs and humies, and kobolds/gobbos/orcs ussualy have iron through not having any material preference, they get steel/iron/copper/bronze shots (i havn't really seen any weird materials at all as ammo) BUT they occasionally have crazy things engraved or even shit stuck to them, like a lump of turquoise or something, hehe...
but for the most, any trade depot just sells normal steel/iron shots of varying quality.
 occasionally the tree huggers will show up and have a few oaken shots but i just ignore them or buy them for the novelty value (imagining that dorfish ingenuity would have proposed a way to get their 'firearms' to fling a round ball of oak... heh.. )

So to make this mod, imo, really worth a look and play would be-
* To get ammo be made of common metal only, and not be encrusted or engraved.
* To personally avoid using smelter reactions so other races than dwarves than use the guns (but this option is still open... if there would be a way to get the ammo on the lists, yet make it impossible to be built out of wood/bone/with gems etc.

Any help appreciated. I've playtested this mod and it's cool. Orcs charging into a line of dorfs w/ muskets and falling quick dead either by bullet or bayonet. Wood elves eating high elves, kobolds with guns and dorfs that love cannabis. Hobgoblins and lion/jaguar/leopard/tigermen! yeh.
my fortress is full of kitties