Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd UG river behavior  (Read 854 times)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
Odd UG river behavior
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:25:44 am »

I had an underground river that was initially 3/7 or 4/7 deep, and filled with cave crocs, snake/frogmen.  At some point I checked back and all the creatures I hadn't killed/captured were gone, and the water was a full 7/7.  Is this normal?  It's the first UG river I've had, so I've no clue.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Odd UG river behavior
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:39:42 am »

The creatures would be gone due to being swept into the chasm, check your creatures page: There should be pages of dead river-stuff there. Not sure about the water levels though.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 11:11:18 pm »

Do you have the waterfall source tiles for the UG river in your embark?  If so, count the number of waterfall tiles.  Typically, you will have 3,5,5,5,3 tiles = 21 tiles.  This means you have 21 x 7/7 water inflow.  Now, if the river exits on the map edge, you will likely have 5 outlet tiles per z level (I had 10 on my test map - 2 levels).  So, 21 source, 10 exit means the river fills to full very quickly.

[section removed per JG's correction]  Additional info: my map edge exit was 4 zlevels below the source tiles, so everything up TO that level backed up.

Essentially to avoid backup, you need to ensure at least a 21 wide outflow (21 waterfall source tiles remember) - convention states a few more don't go astray either.

Alternatively, if the river comes onto your map, you only need to count the entry tiles (probably 5 tiles per zlevel of the river).  So your source inflow might only be 5 or 10 tiles.  You still need to accomodate that as an outflow.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:31:40 pm by Maw »
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:23:15 pm »

Even if the exit is into a UG chasm that is also 21 tiles wide, the river itself is only 5 wide (or 10 if on two z levels).  This restricts the outflow again to 5 (10) tiles max, again causing back up in the UG system.

I have to correct you on this. Water pressure does not work exactly like you describe.

When falling water hits a block of 7/7 water, or when a screw pump pumps into a block of 7/7 water, the block will be immediately teleported to the lowest available empty space not occupied by 7/7 water.

The result of this is that there's no back up in the underground river where the source and chasm tiles are on the same map. The water instantly teleports through the whole system to the chasm, leaving flat sections of 7/7 water that do not overflow.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 11:27:55 pm »

Even if the exit is into a UG chasm that is also 21 tiles wide, the river itself is only 5 wide (or 10 if on two z levels).  This restricts the outflow again to 5 (10) tiles max, again causing back up in the UG system.

I have to correct you on this. Water pressure does not work exactly like you describe.

When falling water hits a block of 7/7 water, or when a screw pump pumps into a block of 7/7 water, the block will be immediately teleported to the lowest available empty space not occupied by 7/7 water.

The result of this is that there's no back up in the underground river where the source and chasm tiles are on the same map. The water instantly teleports through the whole system to the chasm, leaving flat sections of 7/7 water that do not overflow.

Oops, forgot that
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization