Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The worst carping word in the dorfan language: Whoops!  (Read 2571 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The worst carping word in the dorfan language: Whoops!
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:02:56 am »

Almost inevitably following are the words "I didn't think that through."

Okay, so, I suspended my depot in mid-air over the magma pipe, about three z-levels above the magma itself, and one Z-level over the nominal ground height. There was still some overhang on the ground height that I wanted to get rid of, so I got rid of it the fast way - I built a support underneath, channeled out, then [P]ulled the lever.

I forgot that the human caravan and my trader were on top of the depot, which is very un-walled. (I'll fix that, I think...)

Still, I didn't think it would matter. They weren't in any danger, right? Wrong! Apparently a floor collapsing below you is enough to suck you off your feet and pull you towards it - and off the depot. So I sent my multi-legendary starting dwarf plummeting off the depot and into the magma pipe, along with a couple of camels. And worse, I don't have temperature on, so he's not frying, he's either going to fall into the vent, or drown...

What a sad way to go, eh?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst carping word in the dorfan language: Whoops!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:08:00 am »

Without temperature, it sounds as though you have an opportunity to mount a rescue operation.  You DID say this guy was a multi-legendary...that makes him exceedingly important to have survive if you can do something about it.

I suggest you move quickly, with stairs/ramps and possibly a few pumps.  Temp is off so they shouldn't cook.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:09:20 am »

a sad way to go??

Thats the dwarvern way to go!
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

aklyatne

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of, well, spikes.
    • View Profile
    • Stumbleupon profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:30:37 am »

If you ever turn temp on after you rescue him, he will burn.  Magma never comes off of clothes.  Good luck.
Don't even bother with trying to sp-
You have struck Alunite!
-ell my username.  Just type Ak or something.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:34:48 am »

Yup, during a cave in the floor actually creates a wormhole where it falls endlessly at near light speeds over the one tile, simulating a portal like effect. Eventually it builds up so much momentum it smashes through everything in it's path and sucks down everything nearby, similar to being sucked into a fast-moving train.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 04:29:41 am »

I'm so glad that I'm not good enough yet to be constructing elaborate mechanisms to power my fortress...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 01:20:52 pm »

If you ever turn temp on after you rescue him, he will burn.  Magma never comes off of clothes.  Good luck.

By any chance, can this fate be avoided by dumping his clothes before turning temp back on?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:21:51 pm »

I think he'll still have a magma covering.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:31:26 pm »

splash him with water to make obsidian coverings.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 01:49:53 pm »

Does that work?

Also, if temperature should ever be turned on again... just wait til the clothes have faded (or rather rotten) away into nothingness. Dumping dwarven-owned stuff never seems to work for me. They dont actually "own" the tools they use for their mining/woodcutting profession, but they DO own their clothes, sadly.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 01:56:36 pm »

splash him with water to make obsidian coverings.
Does that work?

I seriously doubt it.

If the guy has magma covering on his limbs, which you would see on his inventory page, the guy is doomed, no point in trying to save him.

Let the conflagration begin!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 08:00:49 pm »

Make him a soldier. When he fights the next siege, turn temperature back on.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 04:27:14 am »

Make him a soldier. When he fights the next siege, turn temperature back on.
This is the best idea ever.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 05:09:14 am »

Flaming dwarves! Even better... mod catapults to fire anything, load him onto said catapult and fire flaming dwarf into the next siege. If you make him a marksdwarf as well, he might get a few flaming shots off before he hits the deck with a hideous crunch.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Bedsheet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 07:15:17 am »

Doom Divers anyone?  Give him a spiked helmet to wear, for his catapult ride.
Pages: [1] 2