Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I want to make Microcline doors, not Gabbro doors  (Read 1532 times)

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I want to make Microcline doors, not Gabbro doors
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:19:54 pm »

I'm using a map that I downloaded from the DFFD, and in the stones subsection of the status menu, it lists all of the metal ores, the economic stones (flux materials, coals, obsidian) and raw adamantine, as well as their use/don't use status. It does not list the various building stones, so they are effectively turned "on". How do I get the dwarves to stop using all but one types of non-ore, non-economic stone?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to make Microcline doors, not Gabbro doors
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:47:47 pm »

Forbid the stones you don't want used via the stocks menu. You'll need up to date records by your bookkeeper for this to work.

Be aware that if you've built any workshops (or trade depots) out of forbidden stones, they'll become invisible to your dwarves. You'll have to manually unforbid them using the t menu.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Laith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:56:28 pm »

The way to do this without modding the game is to set up a specific stockpile near your mason's workshops accepting only the particular stone you want them to use.  Your mason should grab the desired stone assuming there are no other stone types closer to the shop.  If your stock records are accurate enough you can also just forbid every stone type but the one you wish to use.

Alternatively you can add a reaction file to the raws for all stone types.  The reaction doesn't have to do anything, any entry for the stone is enough to get them on your Stones menu.  In the raw/objects folder create a new text file called reaction_ecstone.txt, or something similar.  Open it up and save the following:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately this won't help you in your current game, as new reaction entries don't come into effect until generating a new world.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:17:47 am by Laith »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:05:10 am »

For microcline, orthoclase, olivine and other stones that are in huge clusters I just mine it out, set down a mason and/or mechanic's shop in the middle and crank em out.

You can also put a small stockpile in a room with a workshop and lock in the dwarf. I do this for stuff like crafts/furniture made from metal ores.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:22:54 am »

The way to do this without modding the game is to set up a specific stockpile near your mason's workshops accepting only the particular stone you want them to use.

Just keep in mind the way pathing/selection works. To a dwarf, the stone one z level up, directly above the workshop, is closer than the stone 5 steps away. Even if the dwarf has to walk 100 steps to reach it.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 02:06:06 am »

I usuallu gather all the stone (dump) in one spot and create stockpiles for each stone type I want to use. Then simply playing with door locking/unlocking them gives me furniture from the stone I want.
I often check via b->C->w if the correct stone is the only available option.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 06:14:15 am »

It does not list the various building stones, so they are effectively turned "on".

Is that how the vanilla game handles economic stones? I'm not sure since I've only ever played Mayday's release which uses a stone-related mod.

I'd recommend getting either Mayday's release or the stone control mod. Makes this shit easier and more intuitive to handle.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 07:41:19 am »

It does not list the various building stones, so they are effectively turned "on".

Is that how the vanilla game handles economic stones?
You're thinking of the right menu, but the "building stones" as Krisnack put it are not considered in vanilla as economic stones are therefore are not listed in that menu so you have no option to tell your dwarves not to use them that way.

As Fossaman said, having a bookkeeper and fairly high accuracy of stock levels, you can see all the stones in the stocks menu and forbid all Gabbro rocks so they don't get used.

An alternative is to put a workshop somewhere in the fortress where Z-levels won't come into play (i.e. there aren't loads of rocks in a room several z-levels directly below the workshop) and set up a microcline-only stockpile right beside the workshop. I do this all the time at the start of the game to get rid of the crappy-coloured rocks (microcline, orthoclase, olivine and stuff), turning them into crafts to sell to merchants. Later on, when I have a much larger fortress, I tend to use Fossaman's approach when mass-forbidding/dumping items of one type.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:11:29 am »

I normally just place a small stone stockpile above or under my workshops which only accepts the type of stone I want my furniture to be made out of. Whenever a dwarf tasks up his jobs, there might be ONE piece of furniture out of the "wrong" kind of stone because it was closer to the dwarf at that moment, the rest is exactly as I want it to be.

However, I never tried to use the stone control mod, and I play with the Mayday version. Does it just work like that? I turn off all stones except the one I want to build my furniture / walls out of, and that's that? Because that's mighty simple.... a bit of a hassle when I want to use other stones for other stuff, but a lot better than my OCD screaming because the dining room has a table in the wrong color... I probably would still place the dedicated stone stockpile close to the workshops, so the workers have only a short way to travel but the added safety is nice. If it works that way.

Actually... is there a suggestion in the according subforum about adding "building" options? you know, maybe in the stock- or options screen a separate setting for b>Constructions and furniture, maybe for crafts too, that enables you to tell the dwarves what to use. Controllable just like a stone stockpile. ie, build crafts out of every stone BUT the ones I'm using for furniture and so on...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:16:37 am by Puck »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 11:12:33 am »

I think I get it, and the way I understand it, the easiest way to solve this bs is using the stone control mod.

However, I never tried to use the stone control mod, and I play with the Mayday version.

The stone control mod is part of the Mayday version, so if you were like me (i.e. have only ever played Mayday, never vanilla) you wouldn't even know it was there. In short, from what I've learned in this thread, if you can select bullshit stones like microcline or gabbro in your z-stones menu, you're using the stone control mod.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:14:27 am by assimilateur »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 11:15:43 am »

The stone control mod is part of the Mayday version, so if you were like me (i.e. have only ever played Mayday, never vanilla) you wouldn't even know it was there.
I do know it's there, because I played with the mayday pack BEFORE the stone control mod was included. Since it's in, I only turn on all stones, thinking, let me do the managing, and then forget about it.

I never actually tried USING it as intended  ;D

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 11:17:26 am »

The way I handle this is to make LOTS and LOTS of furniture, then chasm the non-masterwork ones I dont want afterwards. The masterwork ones of the wrong color/value I give away to the caravans when they have room.

TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 08:42:00 pm »

The absolutely guaranteed method is to lock the dwarf into a room with the workshop and what you want to be used.  You may not have space to do this, though...

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 12:00:18 am »

I' am using the Mayday release, however the map that I'm using was downloaded from the DFFD, so that might have something to do with it. Also, the 'single stone type stockpile' isn't foolproof, sometimes on his way to the masonry workshop the dwarf will pick up the stone nearest to him and use it for whatever he's making.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 02:17:37 am »

I' am using the Mayday release, however the map that I'm using was downloaded from the DFFD, so that might have something to do with it. Also, the 'single stone type stockpile' isn't foolproof, sometimes on his way to the masonry workshop the dwarf will pick up the stone nearest to him and use it for whatever he's making.
True, but that only applies to the very first stone - if you build a mason's workshop and have a nearby stockpile, with nothing above/below, the mason will take a stone from near the meeting area or wherever s/he was previously standing and proceed to use that for the first job, then will use stones in the stockpile for the rest...so, for example, if you tell the mason to make ten rock cabinets, you might get one that's made from gabbro and nine that are made from microcline. It's not foolproof, sure, but it IS fairly predictable because the AI is fairly predictable. Would you have a problem with making an extra cabinet or whatever if it's something that ultimately gets the job done? You can always sell the spare cabinet to the humans or dwarves at a later date or chuck it in a chasm or magma, after all :)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.
Pages: [1] 2