Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange question: Can cages/traps be flung? Can creatures be caught that way?  (Read 584 times)

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I seem to recall reading about someone catching a random animal with a cage trap flung by a bridge, but I cannot find the source.

Anyway, I wanted to know for an interesting/overcomplicated idea I had: the cage gun. Basically, cages/cage traps would be loaded onto a bridge either through stockpiles or water pressure (the latter being the dwarfier idea), and then flung at incoming invaders to (hopefully) catch more, and possibly enemies with trapavoid (really not sure about that one).

Anyway, can anyone confirm/deny that this is possible?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Sorry, what you're thinking of is completely impossible with the current gameplay mechanics.

I seem to recall reading about someone catching a random animal with a cage trap flung by a bridge, but I cannot find the source.

I imagine he was referring to the animal being flung by the bridge, not the cage trap.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember reading that, and I tried to replicate it, but I couldn't get it to work.  Then again, I only tried against my own dwarves...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cage traps are constructions, not mobile objects. To my knowledge, cage traps can't even be built on top of a bridge, so I'm guessing no.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahh well, not much I can do then. I also assume that [trapavoid] entities cannot be caged, even when rendered unconscious, correct?

Also, do items hurled by a bridge do damage? There may be some hope for this ridiculous plan yet. Because really, who doesn't want to defeat their enemies by launching their useless crap at them?

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile

Ahh well, not much I can do then. I also assume that [trapavoid] entities cannot be caged, even when rendered unconscious, correct?
Well, considering that I've seen caged kobolds and seen them get torn to pieces by weapon traps, they WILL be affected by traps if they fall unconscious. It's rare to see, but it does happen.

Also, do items hurled by a bridge do damage?
No
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile

Any creature, friendly, unfriendly or neutral, regardless of tags, can trigger a trap if unconscious.

Also, do items hurled by a bridge do damage?

Nothing that flies/falls does any damage, except for cave-ins.  This includes siege ammo.  (Bolts/arrows can be fired up or down across multiple levels - if they hit a solid object, they fall - and do no damage.)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, dust bombs and cage traps are probably the more dwarfy way anyway. I think I'll work on setting this up in my current fort, but I'll most likely doom it.

Edit: Hmm, could a cave in cased via retracting bridge be mixed with an obsidian generator to create a reusable cave in bomb? Also, merely being hit by the magical pixie dustcave-in area of effect will knock out a creature, correct? So in this case, the less actual stone falling, the better.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:19:52 am by jokermatt999 »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile

I heard of somebody throwing a cage item from a bridge and having it capture something.
I doubt it works, but..
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries