Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bay 12 Sub Games  (Read 2099 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bay 12 Sub Games
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:16:03 am »

Because let's face it, they're not really a part of Bay 12 :P

I played all of them yesterday. So wrong. I felt guilty at getting a high score at F*ck You. Damn you, censorship :(
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Sub Games
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:29:02 am »

This is as good a place to mention it as any, but did anybody play some old game called Loserball that was by "Toady One Productions?" I don't see any mention of it on the website but it was a sweet board game with actually a lot of strategic depth. I can't imagine there's more than one Toady One so this had to be the same Toady, right?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:06:54 pm »

Well, can't say I've ever played it, myself, but here's an ancient quote from the Armok board:

Well, none of my old work (if you could call it that!) was ever polished off and completed (except arguably a silly checkers-type game called Loser Ball that we circulated around in the mid '90s -- we didn't get a single response, although there were about 5000 downloads; that was before I had an email address.  Loser Ball used an old sound library and probably won't compile now.)

So there you have it, it's the same Toady One.  I can imagine why he doesn't talk about or host it though.  It's OLD.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 06:12:41 pm »

He should rebuild it. It was a fun game; I actually thought it could be quite good. Especially human vs. human.

Incidentally, I found the game on some cheapo compilation CD of "1000 great games for Windows" or some such that I had as a kid...well I still have it, so next time I go home (it's at my parents' house in a different state) I could pick it up and fire up the game again. I somehow doubt Toady, or the maker of any other game on that disc, ever knew their works were on it. Most of the games were shit, about 50% just never worked or wouldn't start in the first place, and then there were a few good ones...I considered Loserball one of the good ones. An old version of vanilla Angband was on there too, which is how I got into that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:14:52 pm by Jude »

Oh Jesus

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:13:26 pm »

I played all of them yesterday. So wrong. I felt guilty at getting a high score at F*ck You. Damn you, censorship :(

F*ck you actually has some gameplay though.  Its probably the best of all the subgames.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 09:18:07 pm »

i prefer the subgame that you based your icon on.

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:30:33 pm »

I don't really consider Liberal Crime Squad to be a subgame.  I mean, thanks to its source code being released, it's still being developed, and has sort of taken on a life of its own.  I haven't actually played any of the subgames, though, so that may affect my opinion. :P

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 11:00:58 pm »

his icon is a stumpy wumple.  a liberalized one, sure, but a stumpy wumple none the less.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 02:10:35 am »

I don't really consider Liberal Crime Squad to be a subgame.  I mean, thanks to its source code being released, it's still being developed, and has sort of taken on a life of its own.  I haven't actually played any of the subgames, though, so that may affect my opinion. :P

Ah, that explains it. It's in another world of its own. Those games made me feel dirty :P

LCS is a great game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 10:11:31 am »

his icon is a stumpy wumple.  a liberalized one, sure, but a stumpy wumple none the less.

Hehe, whoops.  His icon wouldn't load for me yesterday, so I went by the filename "crimesquad.gif" and the "We need a slogan" text underneath.  That'll teach me to assume things. :P

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 11:04:16 pm »

This is as good a place to mention it as any, but did anybody play some old game called Loserball that was by "Toady One Productions?" I don't see any mention of it on the website but it was a sweet board game with actually a lot of strategic depth. I can't imagine there's more than one Toady One so this had to be the same Toady, right?

http://cd.textfiles.com/superozsw/FILES/06/

it's listed as lball.zip, no idea what it would take to get it working though
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 12:33:53 am »

http://cd.textfiles.com/superozsw/FILES/06/

it's listed as lball.zip, no idea what it would take to get it working though

Maybe Dosbox? I forget if it was for Dos or not. I still have (somewhere) the CD that I originally found it on.

Oh Jesus

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 01:18:10 am »

I can confirm that it is a DOS game, and that it works great and with sound in Windows!

The mouse interface is a little weird.  You have to click things to make anything work, you usually get nowhere at all with keyboard (except for entering a player name).  Except that 'Esc' is also often necessary.

And I think right clicking is what actually starts the game, from the player select menu.  o.o

OH MAN, I loved 7UP Spot so much, this game really is awesome and I love it.  The different AIs, with expressions, lend a classic Hoyle-like feeling to it.

And I want to punch Aeshlus in the face.  I haven't even fought him yet, but he still pisses me off.

I think Le Chat has some of the better AI.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:48:01 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 02:28:37 am »

Kobold Quest is a personal favorite, and someone even managed to add some basic AI so you didn't have to control everyone yourself.  I think that game could really be made into something big, with the proper additions...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 12:09:14 pm »

Aeshlus, Boris, Le Chat, Gary, were the best AI if I remember right. It took some real skill and hard thinking to beat them. Then there were the OK characters, and then the terrible ones, like Mumford, that you felt stupid if you didn't get a complete wipeout playing against them.

Oh Jesus
Pages: [1] 2