Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Delete the non-B12 forums  (Read 22495 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delete the non-B12 forums
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2009, 07:13:51 am »

Offtopic: Trying to be funny: OMG THE IRC PEEPS ARE HERE AND I MISSED THEM??

Ontopic: ... Emm, I sorry for my words in the IRC, guys. I think I am liable for the irc-jokes things too...

Also, sorry Akyu, for trying to *ehm* you.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2009, 07:16:28 am »

Captain : Sure, you may think that these content shouldn't be posted at all. But the recent events has proved that lots of people don't think like that, and since they also are a part of the DF community, it will be a bit rude to expel them out because we disagree with them on this point.

No ruder than the content they're posting, generally. I'm not talking about fascism here. I'm talking about maintaining civility. There's lots of outlets for random stuff on the net, we can host a fair amount of that stuff here. The VN styled stuff isn't required.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2009, 07:26:55 am »

Sure, but the fact is, a lot of DF fans actually like this stuff, as stupid and unhealthy it seems to be. And these people think that the B12 games forum community is their "home", so we're somehow forcing them to choose between their 2 err.. "passions". Creating a subforum will allow people who like randomness to do it there, and people who don't like it will just leave this subforum alone. After all, no one forces you to visit ALL the subforums, and if it's correctly labelled with an explicit warning in the subforum's description, no one will stumble on some strange 4chan-like stuff by error.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2009, 07:42:38 am »

Sure, but the fact is, a lot of DF fans actually like this stuff, as stupid and unhealthy it seems to be. And these people think that the B12 games forum community is their "home", so we're somehow forcing them to choose between their 2 err.. "passions". Creating a subforum will allow people who like randomness to do it there, and people who don't like it will just leave this subforum alone. After all, no one forces you to visit ALL the subforums, and if it's correctly labelled with an explicit warning in the subforum's description, no one will stumble on some strange 4chan-like stuff by error.

Like the old VN?
It'll start spiraling out of control, again, and again.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2009, 07:44:50 am »

It was fun for a bit but... Yeah, no more. It will just happen again.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2009, 07:53:25 am »

Having also been one who participated in the randomness of VN, which provided an outlet for our insanity I can safely say never again. It got out of control and caused harm to the forum and would do so again, should a place similar to that open up again.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2009, 07:59:49 am »

I don't think putting up a warning and then covering his ears and singing with regards to a new VN would cut it when it comes to lolicons and such giving the forum a bad name.
Shoes...

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2009, 08:00:48 am »

I guess the IRC is a kind like Various Nonsense now.

Except with more Admins and times for saner discussion.

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2009, 08:04:53 am »

Actually... Nobody apart from yourself and maybe some random folk knows what 'Klan Rally' actually means. Certainly none of the ops do, we had a meeting. If I'm piecing it together from the context it means 'pretending to be vile and racist without actually being so'.

A Klan rally is a gathering of the Klu Klux Klan, or KKK. "Playing Klan rally" would be staging a mock rally. I'm really hoping that you know what the KKK is. I'm guessing that you do and just didn't make the connection, which is understandable. If I'm wrong though, I'd really appreciate it if you'd look at the wikipedia page for the organization. A great many discussions on racism center or at least tangentially involve the KKK, for good reasons. And since it's turned into an international organization and is still active in some areas today, it's good to know what it is.

I've got to respectfully disagree with you here. The most well-moderated forums I've ever been on have been the ConceptArt.org Forums*. They do not allow illegal things or 4chan-like behavior on those forums, and the community has not collapsed. Far from it in fact. I can name other boards I've been on--Monte Cook's for instance--that also maintain strict standards of posting that are healthy and thriving, and pleasant to post in. Making a place so that people can indulge in content that the forum owner doesn't want isn't necessary.

Captain : Sure, you may think that these content shouldn't be posted at all. But the recent events has proved that lots of people don't think like that, and since they also are a part of the DF community, it will be a bit rude to expel them out because we disagree with them on this point.

I don't think anyone here is saying "if you like that content, then you have to leave." It's more that such content isn't wanted by the owner of the forum and by at least some of the community. If someone's day is not complete without posting such content, they will have to find an alternate place to post it. It will not be tolerated here. Now, if someone is very fond of the community they can post as much as they want, so long as they follow the forum owner's wishes. Will they be able to be completely free? No, no they would not. I don't see this lack of freedom as something inherently bad or wrong; choosing between two passions if one conflicts with the other requires self-restraint and good judgment, but I believe that most if not all of the community here can handle the challenge. In any case--I've not seen anyone in this thread who isn't up to snuff in one way or another.

*EDIT: A quick look at the CA.org forums shows 1427 active users this morning.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:29:29 am by Ohaeri »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2009, 08:10:02 am »

By my estimate, there's five or six people that spam hentai and stuff. Most of them have promised to reform after they realized it's disrupting the community, so I really don't see a reason to make a new VN. It would just encourage the "LOL RANDOM" behaviour throughout the boards, and result in more threads getting completely derailed. I hate it when a good thread gets destroyed by these posts, and I think 90% of community feels the same, so I say we shouldn't cater to these interests.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2009, 08:18:39 am »

Well, ok, I guess that if everyone agree, there's no problem. But that's not what Toady seemed to think, regarding his latest posts.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2009, 08:25:48 am »

Well, I guess he'll tell us.

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2009, 08:29:01 am »

I guess the IRC is a kind like Various Nonsense now.

No. No it's not. It's more like a general discussion chat plus DF questions.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2009, 08:32:10 am »

Actually... Nobody apart from yourself and maybe some random folk knows what 'Klan Rally' actually means. Certainly none of the ops do, we had a meeting. If I'm piecing it together from the context it means 'pretending to be vile and racist without actually being so'.

A Klan rally is a gathering of the Klu Klux Klan, or KKK. "Playing Klan rally" would be staging a mock rally. I'm . . . really hoping that you know what the KKK is. I'm guessing that you do and just didn't make the connection, which is understandable. If I'm wrong though, I'd really appreciate it if you'd look at the wikipedia page for the organization. A great many discussions on racism center or at least tangentially involve the KKK, for good reasons. And since it's turned into an international organization and is still active in some areas today, it's good to know what it is.

What Captain Mayday meant was that it was difficult to gauge what, exactly, it meant in that context.

While Toady meant it as an easy and simple way of saying someone was pretending to be homophobic and racist, the simple fact is that even here in Australia, accusing someone of KKK-like behaviour is a massive insult - almost as bad as calling them a gay nigger.

I may have overreacted in response to his comment to that effect, if only because the negative connotations associated with the Klu Klux Klan are not something I wish my name besmirched with. I'm not going to bother with pointless statements like 'I'm not racist', because those in the channel know that my actions speak for themselves, and it's their call as to whether I am or am not racist. However, the KKK have long had a history of racism and intolerance, and 'playing Klan rally' just brings up all kinds of imagery which is then associated with the channel, and by making only vague allusions as to who, exactly, was doing it, there could be enough confusion amongst newcomers to the situation as to whether this was a one-off thing on my part, or if the ops as a whole agree with me.

So while the intention was never to offend, or to paint a negative picture of anyone, even obliquely bringing up the KKK can have extremely unintended effects.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2009, 08:36:50 am »

What Captain Mayday meant was that it was difficult to gauge what, exactly, it meant in that context.

Yeah, I'm Australian, so if there's some more US-centric meaning to that term, I'm unaware of it. I'm aware of the KKK, but if there's slang regarding them, I have no idea what it is. Thus I was unaware of Toady's exact meaning. I'm not trying to be pedantic here, I am actually trying to understand the meaning here, since I'm quite certain Makrond isn't racist at all.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14