Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Delete the non-B12 forums  (Read 22596 times)

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delete the non-B12 forums
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2009, 01:20:29 pm »

So here's a suggestion. How about we elect moderators? On the last week of each month, there will be a poll in every forum section to vote who gets to be a moderator out of a list of people Today or ThreeToe pick. If we're unhappy with a moderator, we just vote him out.

The biggest problem I see with this is the overhead time that it would take for them to mod and un-mod people. In fact, it would probably take more time and create more work than policing the forums does right now. Combine this with them having to come up with nominations regularly, make sure that the nominees actually want to be mods (I know I, for one, want to have nothing to do with modship--I've been the admin of a big forum before, and I have no wish to do so again), keep an eye on voting to make sure nothing unkosher is happening ("vote this guy in for the lulz!" or "ugh, no way I'm going to be under this guy"), etc. . . . It would become a nightmare quickly.

EDIT: Not to mention, getting everyone who is modded familiar with the admin tools of the forum and making sure they don't break anything in the process, keeping track of who breaks what (because something WILL break), and making sure no sabotage happens . . . etc. etc.

Whilst I'm not against the deletion of new various nonsense It would be a shame to lose all the old stuff in there, how about a new (locked) forum called archives, or similar, containing the threads from before VN started going down hill. I can't remember the exact date but round about when the new forums came in would be a reasonable cut off point I think, maybe a little later.

Similarly: this would require them to go through, if not every thread, then most of the threads from early on, to figure out "where it started to go downhill." Then they would have to decide "does this topic have specific relevance, and are people likely to want to look at it again?" and then once that's done, they'll have to move each of such threads to a different subsection--after locking them--before nuking the rest. It would be nice if this wouldn't take a horrific amount of time, but sadly it does require a great deal of time and effort. If you want to preserve specific posts, then by all means--save them onto your computer, I have done so with threads that I loved in the past.

As for banning proxies--just remember that, to a server, a proxy looks EXACTLY like just a different computer connecting to the server.  There's no useful way to tell if someone is using a proxy, unless you really want to start playing with slightly cutting edge physical-computer-identification techniques...which you don't.

I believe you can ban proxies via the methods they use by altering your .htaccess file. It is always possible that I am wrong though, so if you would do me a little favor and look over that link (second section of the post) and see if there is anything wrong with it, I would be very much obliged. I have started blocking proxies on my personal site using this method due to some harassment issues I've been dealing with, so I depend a great deal on that script and I need to know if something will break it. Of course, if you don't have time or are otherwise not inclined to look over the link, I totally understand. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:43:54 pm by Ohaeri »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2009, 01:31:33 pm »

As for banning proxies--just remember that, to a server, a proxy looks EXACTLY like just a different computer connecting to the server.  There's no useful way to tell if someone is using a proxy, unless you really want to start playing with slightly cutting edge physical-computer-identification techniques...which you don't.

I believe you can ban proxies via the methods they use by altering your .htaccess file. It is always possible that I am wrong though, so if you would do me a little favor and look over that link (second section of the post) and see if there is anything wrong with it, I would be very much obliged. I have started blocking proxies on my personal site using this method due to some harassment issues I've been dealing with, so I depend a great deal on that script and I need to know if something will break it. Of course, if you don't have time or are otherwise not inclined to look over the link, I totally understand. :)

*stares*

Okay, never mind, I'm entirely wrong.  That looks awesome and probably workable, as long as people use legitimate proxies.

It won't work for non-legit proxies, that exist for the sole purpose of lulz, but it'll work great for this.  However it DOES look like it might be very effective against people at work, too...I don't know!  Worth a try!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2009, 01:34:15 pm »

*stares*

Okay, never mind, I'm entirely wrong.  That looks awesome and probably workable, as long as people use legitimate proxies.

It won't work for non-legit proxies, that exist for the sole purpose of lulz, but it'll work great for this.  However it DOES look like it might be very effective against people at work, too...I don't know!  Worth a try!

Phew, now I can stop sweating. :D I just gotta hope that my "admirer" doesn't find one of the proxies that breaks the script. ::)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2009, 06:36:20 pm »

Soooo...

We all cool down naw?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2009, 07:59:07 pm »

I guess? I just hope that we don't have a subscription fee. That would drive away a butt load of people, including me.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2009, 08:15:48 pm »

That would NEVER happen though, EVER.

err... Right?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2009, 08:25:21 pm »

No, no fees.  I collect bug reports using the forum.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2009, 09:37:11 pm »

Not to mention suggestions.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2009, 10:11:54 pm »

This thread scares me, I know it's Toady's right and such but it still feels like I am likely to be thrown out or censured from a place I have always thought of as a safe heaven and a home...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2009, 10:16:13 pm »

Well, what is it you feel you will be unable to do?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2009, 10:48:14 pm »

Armok, if there's any rule you need clarification on I'm sure Toady will explain it for you, rather than risk you causing trouble out of sheer confusion. Otherwise just follow the rules and you won't get banned.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2009, 11:00:52 pm »

Whit the exception of linking to the new VN, nothing that I couldn't live without doing, really, but it's the principle, and the fact that I am very very bad at determining what is allowed (social incompetence, clinical and diagnosed by professionals) so I'll live in constant fear of misinterpreting/being misinterpreted and banned, I didn't intend for that CP topic to have the effect it had after all, something like that could happen again. Even ignoring for the moment my emotional attachment to these forums, I have several friends that I only have PMs here as a reliable contact whit because they wont give their Email addresses for various reasons, so a ban would be a big blow to me, whit real world consequences.

I'm not asking to be allowed to post yuri or anything like that, althought I do have that incident of being to specific when specifying my race in that one BotG game (that was also just a misunderstanding (I put black censure boxes in to MANY locations, not realizing what was implied by it)), so I'm really not secure in anything.

And then it's the fact I tend to forget sleeping, and in the haze of the dysfunctional brain caused by that post things I later regret...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2009, 11:12:25 pm »

Whit the exception of linking to the new VN, nothing that I couldn't live without doing, really, but it's the principle, and the fact that I am very very bad at determining what is allowed (social incompetence, clinical and diagnosed by professionals) so I'll live in constant fear of misinterpreting/being misinterpreted and banned, I didn't intend for that CP topic to have the effect it had after all, something like that could happen again. Even ignoring for the moment my emotional attachment to these forums, I have several friends that I only have PMs here as a reliable contact whit because they wont give their Email addresses for various reasons, so a ban would be a big blow to me, whit real world consequences.

I'm not asking to be allowed to post yuri or anything like that, althought I do have that incident of being to specific when specifying my race in that one BotG game (that was also just a misunderstanding (I put black censure boxes in to MANY locations, not realizing what was implied by it)), so I'm really not secure in anything.

And then it's the fact I tend to forget sleeping, and in the haze of the dysfunctional brain caused by that post things I later regret...

Some ideas on how you can help yourself be careful:
1) Don't post about CP at all
2) Before posting threads, PM somebody better equipped to judge whether you should
3) Use an alarm clock or something to remind you that it's time to go to sleep.  Whatever condition you have, irregular sleeping habits won't help it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2009, 11:23:23 pm »

Don't post when tired and try not to start any controversial topics. It's a bugger, I know, but it seems you'll have too.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2009, 11:50:52 pm »

I make a habit of posting very, very carefully, if at all, when really sleepy. I've had to come back in the morning and edit things that couldn't have been deciphered by a team of linguists and cryptologists. It's like new, modern takes on the Voynich Manuscripts.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14