Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Starfront - Humanity's last hope  (Read 5102 times)

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
The Starfront - Humanity's last hope
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:58:42 pm »

The Starfront - Humanity's last hope

The year is 2074.

The Earth will finally succumed to it's corruption.

In 48 hours, the Human race will be doomed; riots will run amok on Earth. Nearly every Government will be overthrown. Anarchists will release nuclear weapons upon almost all Government complexes' all over the world. Billions will died instantly. More will following the days to come. The diseases will mutate, the will become impervious to all medicine. Centuries of research and technology will be lost in an instant. Anything surviving that will have to deal with over a thousand years of nuclear fallout.

Even the Spokes - massive low lying satelites housing millions - will be shot down by STO (Surface to Orbit) artillery.

Humanity on Earth will not survive.

But not all hope is lost.

A scientific spacecraft designed to travel light years, the first of its kind, is being outfitted, put together and will be due to launch in just a few hours. This craft will travel over 450 light years into the Orion Spur, to investigate a planet.

The ultimate goal for this craft is to reach a planet found to have life, named:

Planet Anima Undir

5 lucky humans have been chosen to partake in this expedition.
They are skilled veterans of space exploration, but nothing has been attempted like this before.

Except one of the guys, hes just some Janitor paid 9 bucks a light year.

But the question is: how will they survive?

YOU will decide the story...

Rules/Explanation

- This is basically a sci-fi forum game survival in SPAAAAAAAAAACE...

- 5 people will take on the roles of these dudes. One will be a Janitor, fo' sho.

- Because it is a completely ficticious planet, I will be taking ideas and suggestions from the people who actually will read this. NOT the           survivors themselves, however.

- There will be a waiting list, but that is up for debate as some dudes can't just randomly appear there.

- Attempt at doing retarded things "I suddenly transform into Jesus" will result in your automatic death and your position will be passed to       the person next in the list.

- Interact with the other people, like, ask them things like you're actually talking to them.

- Stay in role, and mature themes are allowed to some extent.

- I will allow some degree of leniency... but people WILL be ripped into bloody pulps if you are not care... Scan before you plan!

Characters

Set out your Character Bios like this please:

Name <-- They aren't dwarves btw
Role <-- Something realistic... Super robot monkey is NOT.
Gender <-- Male or female. Cyborg can be a prefix. E.G, Cyborg Male
Age/Height/Weight <-- Atleast over 16 years. Height and Weight will be either Short/Skinny, Medium/Medium or Tall/Fat rspectively.
Descriptions <-- Short bio in the style of DF 1-3 lines is fine.
Features/Attributes <-- Any special attributes about your guy that you want to be listed down as a special ability... explain a bit.

Example

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Try to keep realistic please...

NO VACANCY

Undefined means that it can be any role... just as long they would be realistically on a scientific spacecraft.

Game Rules

Not much to put here...

Most things do not involve rolls, so have a 90% success rate. the other 10% is when I feel like being jackass, or its vital to the plot.

Battles... maybe not rolls, but still, quite a few things require rolls. The only modifiers to them are special statuses or items and traits, as there are no stats.

So... anyone up for this?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:32:07 am by [P]sYDoNiA »
//The Knight of PsYDoNiA\\
\\     .:JoiN The Order:.   //

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: The Starfront - Humanity's last hope
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:07:59 pm »

NAME: Mar Osridian
ROLE: Robotics Engineer
AGE/HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 47, Tall/Skinny
DESCRIPTION: Mar is a cold and distant man, more like the machines he builds and services than a paragon of human, and he see a mechanical existence as the proper and inevitable conclusion of all being.  Nonetheless, he likens his participation to that of a museum curator - while terribly un-human himself, Mar recognizes the strengths of the human spirit in a sort of artistic sense, not valuable in themselves but worth preserving for posterity.
FEATURES: Extensive cybernetic replacement of heart, many muscles, both eyes, and all four limbs, with many links into his cerebrum, although his brain itself is fully intact.  As a person, he is thin, gangly, and completely hairless, always with a severe expression on what's left of his face.

Yes, I am damn fast when I want to be.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 10:14:12 pm »

Name: Jack Herring
Role: Janitor
Age/Height/Weight: 22/Medium/Medium
Descriptions: Average Height and Weight. Jack likes working and keeping things organized. He prefers working inside. He needs soda to get through the working day.
Features/Attributes: Improvised Fighting(?) (likes to smack around a coat hanger with his mop), Good Footing (Used to slip around on puddles alot, now he knows how to stand his ground)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:08:55 pm by Jack_Bread »

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:18:48 pm »

.:Mar Osridian:.

100%
[||||||||||||||||||||]

-Information Successfully Computed-

Traits:

Extreme Cyborg Modification - Resistance to weather, diseases and bludgeon damage. Higher level of physical capabilities. No natural regeneration.

Asshat - Uncharismatic, suffers greatly from social based encounters.

Ok, thats my interpretation of Aquizzar's character traits. In going to put up soon the "encounter tree" which basically charts how well you can do in interactions... n' stuff.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:21:42 pm »

Name: Gaweir Orsidious
Role: Expedition Leader
Age/Height/Weight: 27/5'11''/Medium Strong Build
Descriptions: Black hair, gray eyes, strong build, he got rolled into the operation for the high fatality rate. He's got good leadership skills, and he realises its pretty dangerous, but he's willing to try and get everyone through.
Features/Attributes: Close Combat Skills/Weapons Training/Charismatic/Steady Hands

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »

Perhaps one of us should change our surname?

Psydonia: Looks good!  Does my Role actually pertain to anything?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 10:25:41 pm »

Name: Desmond M. Orange
Role: Social Scientist/Psychologist
Age/Height/Weight: 31/Medium /Medium
Descriptions: Average guy-brown hair and eyes, pasty white skin from working indoors. Married with no children. Known as an avid Bibliophile, chess pro and science fiction geek.
Features/Attributes:
Out of shape (Barely qualifies for space travel, but not near peak physical performance)

Game Master (bonuses when special encounters involve anything to do with games of skill or strategy)

Science, Psychology (bonuses when special encounters involve anything to do with studying the minds of sentient creatures or determining how they would react.)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:15:29 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 10:35:58 pm »

.:Jack Herring:.

100%
[||||||||||||||||||||]

-Information Successfully Computed-

Traits

Resourceful Fighting - Large variety of wieldable weapons. (DF style!)

Sure Footing - Less likely to trigger movement based traps. Moves faster on unstable terrain. (Shifty sands, sloppy water)

Unsophisticated Whelp - Suffers in intelligence based encounters. Reduction in social encounters with older, sapient lifeforms.

[[INCOMING TRANSMISSION]]

Damnit, I gotta get a haircut. I'll be back in about... 40 mins and I will also upload the "encounter tree."

Basically it details the physical, social and intelligent encounter options...
Each encounter will have one of each "branch," including possibly one based on your traits/items/abilities and one based on the plot...

Sorry guys I'll fill you in when I get back. Check back in about... an hour.

At Aqizzar: Yes, it does quite a bit. This planet holds sapient lifeforms... and I do believe it holds some science behind this.

By the way, you guys will want to probably log what happens to your dudes. You may need to check back and refer to figure out what to next.. *wink*

AND we need some females people...

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 10:41:19 pm »

Okay, science question: How is there hope for humanity if there are exactly five living people in the universe? Is there a huge cryo-facility on the ship or something?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 11:02:41 pm »

Name: Sally L. DeFreeze
Role: GeneSplicer/Field Biologist
Age/Height/Weight: 25/Short/Thin
Descriptions:
A thin little thing.  She has aqua green skin which has multicolored patterns upon it like tatoos, except they slowly morph into different shapes and colors over the course of the day.  Jutting out from her bright blue hair is a pair of horns about 4 inches long.  She has a long, prehensile tail she usually keeps hidden.  Sal tends to quickly lose interest in most things but loves nature and is enthralled by her beloved splicing, obsessing over a modification or new species until it's done.  She tends to work odd hours.  She has an extensive collection of science fiction including holovids, 2-D recordings and written stories.
Features/Attributes: Sal didn't engineer herself a bunch of ugly muscles.  But she did splice herself a regime that left her with wicked good reflexes and immaculate poise.  She is "all natural" in that she has no implants.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 11:05:57 pm »

dang, too late

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 11:13:51 pm »

Hmm, we don't need 2 biologists blah
I'll be a psychologist then.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 11:17:52 pm »

It is a mission to go investigate life, I don't think 2 biologists is overkill.  I figured they wouldn't be too similar if I made Sal more of a field worker and less of an academic.  But if you think two biologists is overkill, I can revise my character, since you had the idea first.

Name: Sally L. DeFreeze
Role: Astrophysicist/Mathematician
Age/Height/Weight: 25/Short/Thin
Descriptions:
A thin little thing.  Sal had extensive gene splicing done back on earth and dabbles with the stuff herself.  She has aqua green skin which has multicolored patterns upon it like tatoos, except they slowly morph into different shapes and colors over the course of the day.  Jutting out from her bright blue hair is a pair of horns about 4 inches long.  She has a long, prehensile tail she usually keeps hidden.  Sal tends to quickly lose interest in most things but loves the stars and can become enthralled by studying a strange new system.  She tends to work odd hours.  She has an extensive collection of science fiction including holovids, 2-D recordings and written stories.
Features/Attributes:  Sal didn't engineer herself a bunch of ugly muscles.  But she did splice herself a regime that left her with wicked good reflexes and immaculate poise.  She is "all natural" in that she has no implants.  She is a promising young scientific experimenter and can bring this mindset to situations beyond astrophysics.

Feathweight
Quick reflexes
Graceful
Analytical
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:54:33 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 12:08:19 am »

Hmm.. I recon there is not a place/role for a floating head representation of the complex spaceship AI? (shown only on the holographic screen ofcourse)
If there is, I call dibs on that.  ;D
I'll make the char sheet (or whatever it is) if it's accepted.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:11:04 am by Ultimuh »

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 12:17:08 am »

I'd prefer someone witty would be the A.I if at all, thank you very much. I would like SOME intelligent, witty banter throughout the voyage. :P

Also, hope he gets back and adds everyone to their places, now that all the spots are taken up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4