Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Wooden cudgels/staff?  (Read 8737 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden cudgels/staff?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 01:48:51 am »

To simplify:

Obsidian: Can make swords, spears (with wood)
Flint: Can make axes, spears (with wood). Less damage than Obsidian, stronger than Wood or silver by a smidge.
Wood: Can make cudgels (mace) and spears.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 04:55:31 am »

Yeah, I don't know what the point of the rock swords is. They weren't very good for actual killing, seems like a really obscure thing to include. And why the fuck do they have a crit bonus? It's a baton with wide shards of glass in it, you can't stab with it!

You will be able to make chalk hammers but they'll shatter easily and the density makes them do crappy damage

Of course you can't stab with it, but that's not what crit-bonus means. For a slash weapon like a sword, a crit will lop something off, not cause EPIC ORGAN AMAGE.
The weapon the wooden sword was based off of was a decent weapon, but it was crap against armor. Toady has already said it's supposed to be fairly fragile, he just hasn't implemented wear yet.

And I tried modding the weapon in. Making it a "blowgun" (the common workaround) causes it to be made at a bowyers workshop off of crossbow-making skill and causes dwarves to treat it like a ranged weapon (though that's not a problem as blowgun ammo usually isn't available). Modding it as a reaction makes it weigh several tons (a known bug, but nobody but a superdwarvenly strong dwarf could actually use it).

Specify a material. If you don't it defaults to the ridiculously heavy generic version.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 05:54:53 am »

You can make blunt weapons out of stone though I am not sure if Obsideon is a good stone for that.

I know Jade or Greenstone is. You don't want to get hit by one of those.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 08:05:09 am »

There's a LONG list of rocks I don't want to get hit by

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 08:05:56 am »

There's a LONG list of rocks I don't want to get hit by

Like Talc

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 08:06:45 am »

Talc is #245

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 05:21:11 am »

Of course you can't stab with it, but that's not what crit-bonus means. For a slash weapon like a sword, a crit will lop something off, not cause EPIC ORGAN AMAGE.

If so, why do the swords have the crit bonus and not the axes?

Wonder how the new materials will work. Balance between materials as is is pretty terrible. Iron statues are better than bronze etc

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 10:32:34 am »

If so, why do the swords have the crit bonus and not the axes?

Because game balance. Axes do more raw damage, so swords get crit boost.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 03:02:35 pm »

Not much of an excuse.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 03:12:07 pm »

Can we at least agree that it's a silly discussion to have given the imminent changes?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2009, 05:33:51 pm »

Give me half an hour fifteen minutes, I'm going to mod all this in so you can shut up (except that throwing spears won't be usable in fortress mode 'til next release).

So:
More stones that can be sharpened
More stone/wood-able weapons
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 05:37:39 pm »

Couldn't we just rip out a dead guys organ,tie a sharp rock to a branch and call it an axe?
Random stone won't do much like copper,flint and obsidian are like steel.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 05:51:14 pm »

Done! Maces and spears are now CAN_STONE, various stones are [SHARP] (which doesn't prevent them from being in blunt weapons), staves have been added, all gems are [SHARP] so you can have Ruby Swords, which makes limited sense but is cool.

Any suggestions for a quick file upload site?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 10:30:54 pm »

I don't necisarily won't to make the game much different, could somebody direct me to a raws tutorial or decribe how I would create a dwarf-compatable low-damage weapon made of 1 log in the carpenders workshop?

P.S. I was forgetting the obvious answer this whole time, a crossbow without any ammo....doh!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 10:33:27 pm »

Done! Maces and spears are now CAN_STONE, various stones are [SHARP] (which doesn't prevent them from being in blunt weapons), staves have been added, all gems are [SHARP] so you can have Ruby Swords, which makes limited sense but is cool.

Any suggestions for a quick file upload site?

Now, if you can mod it so dwarves can make wooden spears and maces with no stone without locking them out of metal weapons, I'll be impressed. Oh yea, and the blowgun ammo tag is a cop-out, it's more of a bug than an actual fix

This will probably be done later in the development arcs, as Toady plans to migrate more of the hard code into the raws, but currently it's impossible to my knowledge. Besides, this should really be something dwarves can do anyways, if Toady wants us to do anything but burn, drown, or smash the elves they need to sell something useful aside from training weapons.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5