Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 311

Author Topic: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.  (Read 477963 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.
« Reply #1515 on: October 14, 2009, 09:19:17 am »

You taught them a very valuable lesson - never trust advice from another player ;D. That's one of a dozen they'll need to learn.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 14, 2009, 09:32:40 am »

Never one to be predictable, one of the few people not in the same corp as me, nor formerly in the same corp as me, to have given me actual valid AND useful advice... was Notdeadyet.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:23 am »

You taught them a very valuable lesson - never trust advice from another player ;D. That's one of a dozen they'll need to learn.
I'd give mocking, deadly answers to retarded questions in the npc corpchat in EVE online. Some carebear got all pissy and emotional about it, which really cheered me up, because the dumb whore was just so ridiculous ;D.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: October 14, 2009, 11:42:52 am »

I've gotten some correct answers from chatnet, you just have to avoid the dipshit questions. Asking whether fists or rifles are more powerful is just asking for stupid answers (the correct answer, of course, is to max out cool and brains and then use whips). And of course, once you can actually figure out the horribly designed and badly organized hellwiki, there's a bit of info on it. Nothing like the DFWiki (which has info on everything from crops to dwarf computing), but enough that with some referencing you can eventually figure the occasional question out.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Obsidean_00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 14, 2009, 01:14:43 pm »

I've been playing online games of all types since 1995 and I have to say I've never ran into a more unfriendly group than on this game.  Heck, even back when I was getting my butt handed to me by Korean kids on Startcraft occassionally they'd offer tips and strategy to help people get better and that game is practically a national sport there.

Hell, the admins probably have the worst attitudes I've ever seen--maybe they need to drink more coffee--a player joined zotnet to ask a question and an admin told him "Ask your damned question so I can stop talking to you."  Very professional fellows.

As for the "roleplaying an ass" I've ran into one player who acts the part very well in game but the very second I ask him a question he responds very quickly with solid information, and another player who helped me get my first mutation and gave me a full set of gear and weapons.  Just because you want to kill things in a game it doesn't mean you have to treat every other player like crap.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: October 14, 2009, 01:26:32 pm »

They're roleplaying an ass because that's how they think people would behave in a post-apocalyptic world. They aren't consciously doing it, we saw the same thing in WoW when the Death Knight class was introduced. Completely normal people who had been playing other classes slowly but surely became jerks to anyone who asked for help. They were still fundamentally the same person, but the role they were playing altered how they thought of things. It's the same thing here. Also, if the people who helped you were corpmates that's different. Corps have a vested interest in helping you, as strong members build stronger corps.

As for the admins, once again let me rephrase that some are incredibly helpful and some are so bad they aren't even assholes, they're like the little hairs around the asshole with shit caked onto them (what a wonderful mental image, I know). It all depends on who you get and how you treat them, so never demand or even ask things of them, give them bug reports like gifts and ask questions like you're talking to the pope. So long as you aren't a burden to them, the friendly ones will be nice and the assholes won't bother to step on you.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: October 14, 2009, 02:09:09 pm »

I've been playing online games of all types since 1995 and I have to say I've never ran into a more unfriendly group than on this game.
It's a game that features mutilation, cannibalism, and rape as basic mechanics, think that might skew the audience a bit? As for the admins, same, also, they're goons (I assume, most of the people involved seem to be from there). Now, I haven't had any run ins with them, and I don't hope to, I'm just going off experiences I've heard.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: October 14, 2009, 03:59:55 pm »

I'm generally a helpful person, but I am actually worried about being attacked if I give helpful answers on chatnet. I can still send in the odd correct info. Someone asked if someone could teach them blade, I knew they were new. I told them to get a fork, and find an orphan.

Very strange, especially for a game that ask for donations. It seems like they are trying to curb PVP, by making it have more possible retribution. I have no idea if filling out a police report, or sending a FCPD does anything. If it does, then it as a deterrent is rather weak.

Also I declare open season on Kent. Any and all B12's please, I implore you to all go kill kent for lolz.

He is a gun users, so please dress to counter. He has a place in SP 310.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: October 14, 2009, 06:12:44 pm »

The hairless rat attacks you!
You rush the hairless rat in a berserker attack!
76Moogle slices viciously at the hairless rat with his hosaka daikatana.
The hairless rat swings around and opens its jaws as it prepares to attack 76Moogle!
tac

player 76Moogle             [ 100% ]                   (attacking a hairless rat)
   npc hairless rat           [ 100% ]                   (attacking 76Moogle)
[7###m] 76Moogle rips open the hairless rat's leg with a gout of gore.
[mv7] The hairless rat's teeth bounces off 76Moogle's lotus kusazuri.
Blood pulses in a weak stream from the hairless rat's leg.
tac

player 76Moogle             [ 100% ]                   (attacking a hairless rat)
   npc hairless rat           [ 31% ]     bleed          (attacking 76Moogle)
Blood runs freely from the hairless rat's open wounds.
tac

npc hairless rat           [ 20% ]     bleed          (attacking 76Moogle)
[7#*m] The hairless rat's body goes limp; 76Moogle carves a chunk from its leg.
[ You didn't earn any XP for that. ]
The hairless rat staggers for a second before collapsing, dead.

Sure they might be pretty tough to newbies, but Grendus, if you already have 20 blades total they shouldn't be much of a problem to you.

edit: formatting

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: October 14, 2009, 06:23:30 pm »

A hosaka daikatana is quite a bit more powerful than, say, a war saw or a fine wakizashi, which is most likely what a newbie has. Remember, this started in a discussion about how dangerous Sharpton Complex is. Mutant and hairless rats are much more powerful than the other rats, unless you badly outgear the place. They don't scare me (much) now, but back in the day they were terrifying !!GCS!! of doom.

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: October 14, 2009, 06:29:41 pm »

You're right, though I still think newbies aren't that susceptible to them, unless they aren't wearing any armour. Anyways, on the subject of weaponry, does anyone know where you get the power cells for shiver swords? And bruces still appear to be better than hosaka daikatanas, since they have more mod slots for higher dps.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 14, 2009, 06:51:07 pm »

You're right, though I still think newbies aren't that susceptible to them, unless they aren't wearing any armour. Anyways, on the subject of weaponry, does anyone know where you get the power cells for shiver swords? And bruces still appear to be better than hosaka daikatanas, since they have more mod slots for higher dps.

It does give newbie trouble with chudskin, and a rebar sword. They can be kinda of nasty.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: October 14, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »

Well, I've been playing for a while, and while messing around with some buddies I got the CSS cams after me...and then blew myself up. And now I'm in THE CUBE. As in the very BAD place.

Does anyone know how it works? Will I be freed eventually or do I have to travel through the whole thing?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 14, 2009, 08:59:12 pm »

The cube? Were you killed in corpclave? Odds are, when your stars go away your cloning location will be reset to where it was before you were arrested, that's what happens in Panopticon Prison.

What's so bad about the cube, out of curiosity?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:25:13 pm by Grendus »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1529 on: October 14, 2009, 09:02:15 pm »

I've been playing online games of all types since 1995 and I have to say I've never ran into a more unfriendly group than on this game.  Heck, even back when I was getting my butt handed to me by Korean kids on Startcraft occassionally they'd offer tips and strategy to help people get better and that game is practically a national sport there.

I actually enjoy the general rudeness, it just seems right. In corp, we are all generally very helpful and friendly, but out in the nets? fuck em all.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 311