Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 311

Author Topic: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.  (Read 478003 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.
« Reply #1455 on: October 08, 2009, 03:46:31 pm »

Well, I just started last night, managed to find myself going down river as an orphan, still not sure where I was.

Anyway, I was wondering if it was best to base your starting skills on what mutations you plan on getting later, or if there are simply a good starting set of skills to get?

Oh, the name's Flayaxxa in game, think I ran into a few people last night that said they heard about the game from these forums.

There are three really popular builds on the wiki, and while a little variation is good (I went with cool/reflexes but dropped pistols for fuck, for example), you're going to want to stick near those.

Cool/reflexes builds are powerful and flexible, but very gear dependent. The Shiver Sword does the highest damage in the game, but it requires a fuel cell and is both rare and expensive. The same goes for guns, good pistols and rifles will require crafted ammo, and while there are no direct penalties to crafting with a cool/reflexes build, they aren't slanted towards that. You may end up paying a crafter friend to make you ammo or just grinding up crafting yourself. On the bright side, pistols and rifles can't be dodged or parried and do very good damage, and there are other powerful weapons besides the shiver sword that are less expensive and rare.

It's a good build, very flexible with choices for offense and defense. There's some good room for advancement with twitchy nerves and vampire mutations, among others.

Brains/senses builds are all about utility. They usually use whips, which are the weakest weapon in the game, since it's the only weapon that relies on senses for damage.

It's a support build that will do a lot of crafting, repairing, medic, and other non-combat roles. That's not to say they can't fight, they can be quite powerful, but mostly they're there to back up the low brains/senses people. There's some good room for improvement with the empath, swollen brain, and nimble fingers mutations.

Brawn/Endurance builds are usually for fist users. These start out ridiculously strong and scale well with mutations and skills, but scaling brings the other weapons in line fairly quickly.

It's a very strong build that will scale well with the ripper, brute strength, and later the hideous freak and abomination mutations. Note that abominations, while powerful, are hated by NPC's and often hunted by players, so be careful if you decide to go that route. Read the article on the wiki (http://hellmoo.org/wiki/index.php/Abomination) if you should decide to go this route. If not, they're still very powerful as human fist users, so it's still a good choice.

Edit: and I was killed in inter-corp violence, so now I have no money because of the high cost of cloning and no nodachi. Sigh.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:01:20 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: October 08, 2009, 04:20:51 pm »

Oh, yeah, you don't need to actually kill Roshi to do the quest for the nodachi, you know. He doesn't drop it. The actual quest is AN SECRET  :o

The fine katana is better than the nodachi since it's faster and more accurate (which you want when you fight enemies that dodge alot). Also, afaik, the bleeding damage you're seeing from the nodachi isn't direct bleeding damage, it's bleeding from the enemies that you've hit with slashing damage hard enough.

The fine katana isn't the best wapanese type weapon, either. There's also the hosaka daikatana gotten from Usagi Yojimbo, rabbit samurai, in the middle of the Necropolis. YOu can only get it once, much like the nodachi. The daikatana does much better slashing damage than both of the others.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: October 08, 2009, 06:07:20 pm »

Oh, yeah, you don't need to actually kill Roshi to do the quest for the nodachi, you know. He doesn't drop it. The actual quest is AN SECRET  :o

The fine katana is better than the nodachi since it's faster and more accurate (which you want when you fight enemies that dodge alot). Also, afaik, the bleeding damage you're seeing from the nodachi isn't direct bleeding damage, it's bleeding from the enemies that you've hit with slashing damage hard enough.

The fine katana isn't the best wapanese type weapon, either. There's also the hosaka daikatana gotten from Usagi Yojimbo, rabbit samurai, in the middle of the Necropolis. YOu can only get it once, much like the nodachi. The daikatana does much better slashing damage than both of the others.

I know that Roshi doesn't drop or hold the nodachi. I've already done the nodachi quest. I'm still debating weather to do the enlightenment quest. I've heard that can take one to three hours, and you either answer each time when spoken to, or never. That potentially six hours of sitting.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: October 08, 2009, 10:01:10 pm »

I tried to do the enlightenment quest, but I had no idea how to do it. After about 2 hours of idling there, I just gave up.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: October 08, 2009, 11:21:08 pm »

Yeah, I checked and the lotus is slashing/stabbing damage, it's the chainsaw that's slashing/bleeding I believe (the lotus did seem to leave enemies bleeding though, or perhaps I'm thinking of the chainsaw again... killed so many crackheads with that wonderfully retarded piece of awesome :D )
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: October 09, 2009, 03:44:47 pm »

AFAIK chainsaw doesn't do slashing/bleeding either, it's just slashing, but dealed out in large amounts. It's FAR too slow for me, though, so the katana out dps' it quite easily.

zac4213

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: October 09, 2009, 04:25:55 pm »

The murderous karnivore punk opens his eyes.
The murderous karnivore punk exclaims, "Die!"
The murderous karnivore punk attacks you!
The murderous karnivore punk exclaims, "Shit!"
The murderous karnivore punk exclaims, "Fuck you!"
[h###m] Hellkor hammers his fist into the murderous karnivore punk's abdomen with a crunch.
The murderous karnivore punk fires his .44 magnum wildly at hellkor.
The murderous karnivore punk looks stunned.
hellkor flashes a deadly punch at the murderous karnivore punk!
The murderous karnivore punk exclaims, "KARNIVOOOO-- gllrraauugh!"
[ You earned 13 XP! ]
The murderous karnivore punk crumples to the ground, gasps out his last breath, and dies.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: October 09, 2009, 04:38:01 pm »

From the gear screen:
Code: [Select]
Weapon                  Hit Spd Par DType base  effec crit%  eDPS
fine katana             19  5.3 *   slsh  6-15  6-15  22%    2.39
sonic scalpel           18  4.5     bled  3-5   3-5   15%   
                                  + slsh  1-3   1-3   5%     1.52
chainsaw                15  9.0 **  slsh  3-13  3-13  35%   
                                  + bled  2-4   2-4   0%     1.52
The sonic scalpel is there just because I happened to be carrying it at the time. But yeah, the (fine) katana is much better in terms of to hit and speed, the chainsaw is just a nice, fairly cheap crackhead/orphan killer. Nicer than combat knives anyways.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: October 09, 2009, 05:29:00 pm »

Also appears that the chainsaw is a two star parry weapon. That gives it a touch of use as well.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: October 09, 2009, 06:58:04 pm »

Julian is employed once again.

zac4213

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: October 09, 2009, 08:00:55 pm »

I'm considering restarting the idea of a bay12 corp, if we still have dudes. I have plenty of money, 100000 at any given time, and my character is pretty strong.
EDIT: Holy crap I have the 10th highest threat level, sweet.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:15:36 pm by zac4213 »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: October 09, 2009, 08:12:43 pm »

Alright, from the entrance at the bottom of the waterfall, you go in, follow the river the the NE, then go down the tunnel until you find an offshoot to the west. Go west, then down. Its a 30m climb, and there are giant spiders in the tunnel leading up to it. I tried to get snakeskin a half dozen times with zero climb, and never survived the fall. If you count the directions before you get out of the river, you don't need to stop till you start climbing.

I don't know where that entrance is. I went through the main opening, following the path west out of lurleen and climbed the cliff. Is the waterfall following the river under the bridge in the chemical plant?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: October 09, 2009, 09:34:14 pm »

From FC, if you keep following the path, you get to a river you have to jump down into that crosses a washed out bridge. Take that river west, then when you find the Bloodhound mut spot, go nwish then NEish then e. Its been a while, but that leads to an entrance that doesn't require climbing.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: October 09, 2009, 11:23:51 pm »

I'd be up for joining a bay12 corp, I suppose, assuming there were enough other people interested (however many that may be in a game that rarely has more than forty-something people online...).

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: October 09, 2009, 11:28:21 pm »

So would I, though i'm rather poor and weak since I resetted last time (fresh character just out of the bunker, but at least i have my stuff).
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 311