Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 311

Author Topic: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.  (Read 478007 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.
« Reply #1440 on: October 06, 2009, 09:29:25 pm »

Huh... I could have sworn I've rarely managed to hit while holding a trauma kit in my offhand, but then again I only notice that I've forgotten to stow it after a screen of misses :| .
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: October 06, 2009, 10:11:22 pm »

I dunno. I do know that parry class in the game is freakin powerful. I lost my lotus nodachi to the guards in the mines, so I'm using a katana til I can save up the cash to buy a new one. The nodachi kills chobos in about 4 hits, the katana takes about 2 minutes of constant parries, feints, powerattacks, etc. It's downright messy.

Speaking of the mines, where exactly is the snakeskin mut in there? The mobs aren't too scary, but I don't want to lose my backup gear again, can anyone give me more specific directions?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: October 06, 2009, 10:15:22 pm »

Alright, from the entrance at the bottom of the waterfall, you go in, follow the river the the NE, then go down the tunnel until you find an offshoot to the west. Go west, then down. Its a 30m climb, and there are giant spiders in the tunnel leading up to it. I tried to get snakeskin a half dozen times with zero climb, and never survived the fall. If you count the directions before you get out of the river, you don't need to stop till you start climbing.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: October 07, 2009, 12:14:55 am »

Alright, from the entrance at the bottom of the waterfall, you go in, follow the river the the NE, then go down the tunnel until you find an offshoot to the west. Go west, then down. Its a 30m climb, and there are giant spiders in the tunnel leading up to it. I tried to get snakeskin a half dozen times with zero climb, and never survived the fall. If you count the directions before you get out of the river, you don't need to stop till you start climbing.
If you can make a queq of move in word or something then copypaste it you can usually move through a tile before an attacking monster locks you into it.

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: October 07, 2009, 03:59:52 pm »

Don't even bother getting snakeskin unless you have relatively decent climb. The spiders aren't that bad, it's the climb from the pit that'll kill you.

Grendus - did you get the fine katana or the normal one? The fine katana is actually supposed to be better than the nodachi, modded. I know that I can kill chobos in 1-3 hits with the fine and 6 blades raw.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 04:02:17 pm by Ancient Thingy »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: October 07, 2009, 06:55:32 pm »

Regular katana, can't afford a fine katana right now. They run around 7k from Sargo's, and it's not much better from the corp stores.

I really don't know what it is, I switched to a sonic scalpel and they went down just fine. It might be that I was fighting in normal or aggressive instead of berserk, since I have less beat soak right now. In my best armor the Chobos can't hurt me, but right now the only thing protecting my head is the High Density mutation.

Anyways, I have another nodachi, now to grind my gear back up to where it was /sigh.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:02:26 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: October 07, 2009, 07:27:24 pm »

Regular katana, can't afford a fine katana right now. They run around 7k from Sargo's, and it's not much better from the corp stores.

I really don't know what it is, I switched to a sonic scalpel and they went down just fine. It might be that I was fighting in normal or aggressive instead of berserk, since I have less beat soak right now. In my best armor the Chobos can't hurt me, but right now the only thing protecting my head is the High Density mutation.

Anyways, I have another nodachi, now to grind my gear back up to where it was /sigh.
Well sonic scalpels main damage is bleed which bypasses armor as I recall so they're going down because your ignoring their armor.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: October 07, 2009, 09:02:11 pm »

You know that you can get a basic katana for about $400 in one of the corp shops, right?

zac4213

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: October 07, 2009, 09:32:37 pm »

I can get you fine wakizashis for free, hepcat ricky drops them and he's p. easy to kill.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: October 07, 2009, 11:25:05 pm »

I'll do the Nodachi Quest with ya. I need to kill Roshi anyhow.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: October 08, 2009, 09:25:59 am »

You know that you can get a basic katana for about $400 in one of the corp shops, right?

Regular katana is 400 from krew, but I'd rather use the sonic scalpel which is only 50 more. The fine katana is a different, and much more powerful, weapon. A nodachi, which is inbetween a katana and fine katana, is 2800 from the drs store, cheapest I could find.

My apartment is littered with backup weapons: two scalpels, two wakizashi's, two katanas, and a few pistols. I need a weapon rack for all the weapons, what I lack is a backup nodachi which is parry class **. It can't be parried unless your enemy is using his own parry class ** weapon (thus why many aboms use spears as a backup weapon). Combined with being higher damage since it's a 2h weapon, it's a damn powerful weapon.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: October 08, 2009, 09:47:35 am »

I picked up a fine katana from a corp store for $2000 or so a week or so ago :D . The lotus nodachi has better damage, and appears to get crits more often (also does bleeding damage), but it's also slower and less accurate, going from the numbers in gear. It also interferes with using nanite healers and trauma kits, requiring yet more things to remember to type...

I haven't played much since the server started crashing... has that stopped yet?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: October 08, 2009, 10:02:43 am »

Damn, I'd kill for a fine katana (in fact, that's where I got the money :o), especially for a mere 2000.

The server is semi-stable. It goes down once every few days, but they have it updating like every 5 minutes, so if it goes down you lose pretty much nothing. The only thing is the messages get old, but you can disable those if you want.

Obsidean_00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: October 08, 2009, 10:25:36 am »

Well, I just started last night, managed to find myself going down river as an orphan, still not sure where I was.

Anyway, I was wondering if it was best to base your starting skills on what mutations you plan on getting later, or if there are simply a good starting set of skills to get?

Oh, the name's Flayaxxa in game, think I ran into a few people last night that said they heard about the game from these forums.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: October 08, 2009, 11:29:25 am »

I just went with the blades/pistols build that the chargen page on the wiki gave, as I knew jack shit about the game mechanics at the time, and figured it was better than just guessing about what I should take.

Starting as an orphan, once you're out of the hole, enter "go u nw w w n n w w w n d", then kill (easy in berserk) or blow the npc, to quickly get past the orphan stage.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 311