Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 311

Author Topic: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.  (Read 477132 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.
« Reply #2805 on: September 18, 2010, 01:21:39 am »

Dude, the police warp through doors. They don't care if you're logged out inside, they will teleport through and eat you.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: September 18, 2010, 01:24:17 am »

The two main problems I see with it are armor/clothing restrictions on aboms coupled with the cold of flight, and the increased food requirements of flying (since aboms already have increased food reqs). Otherwise it sounds quite cool, and more practical than the telefrag-prone blink.

With flight can you land anywhere in an area, or is it predetermined/random?

Yeti Skin for the cold, and food is no problem, kill an npc, devour, heal.

Lots of predetermined locations.

Hmm, do flybombs get shot down by the necropolises anti-air turrets?

They did when I was one. Dunno about now, but I suspect it's the same.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: September 18, 2010, 01:36:25 am »

Dude, the police warp through doors. They don't care if you're logged out inside, they will teleport through and eat you.
Astral Complex is far enough away that they don't tend to do this at lower levels; it's in Gangland, and they don't travel out there often.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: September 18, 2010, 02:34:39 am »

I notice that Gangland seems to be the property of COPS...  Damn cameras are everywhere.

Does anyone here actually have experience with (un)life as a zombie?  I brought up the Stubbs project with Nowu ingame (Scrub continues to be a truly inspiring individual...  Ran into him again while we were talking), and he said that splitting between clubs and fists wasn't really a great idea, saying I should just go for fists because Zeds are good with that kind of thing and I wouldn't be relying on a gimped reflex stat for clubs.

At first I was crestfallen, because I really wanted to splatter people with severed limbs.  Turns out though, you can only attack people with the predefined weapon-type items, so legbashing is out of the question.  Plus, zombiefisting means initiating more faithful into the fold, so to speak...  And that's always fun (supposedly).

However, the wiki claims that zedclaws are only marginally effective weapons, and should be used as a last resort rather than a first assault.  But, hey, at least they're better than squishy humie mitts, eh? 

I have to wonder if NPCs are scared off by zombie players...  If not, can you just imagine the delightful scene of a Zed shambling up to someone on the street and scamming them right then and there?  And then coming back to eat their brains?  And then having the mark rise up and become a brother of the wandering dead?

Also, what exactly is picked up on by camcorders?  I was thinking it might be fun to get a load of people together to do a feature flick.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: September 18, 2010, 03:04:42 am »

The two main problems I see with it are armor/clothing restrictions on aboms coupled with the cold of flight, and the increased food requirements of flying (since aboms already have increased food reqs). Otherwise it sounds quite cool, and more practical than the telefrag-prone blink.

With flight can you land anywhere in an area, or is it predetermined/random?

Yeti Skin for the cold, and food is no problem, kill an npc, devour, heal.

Lots of predetermined locations.
The problem with yeti skin is it eats up a valuable soak slot that could be spent on something that protects against a damage type players do, rather than something that only appears under certain rare conditions. I've heard firewalker and rubber skin are the ideal ones, since fire, electric, and acid are pretty common damage types (and aboms can't wear armor that soaks them), and I already have high density... I don't want to demute (even if I could reach the demuter), and I sure as hell don't want to reroll... Well I suppose leather does add slight fire, acid and electric soaks, more than enough to fuck up mod kits at least...

Something worthy to take note of (that I heard from a corpmate, and had confirmed by three more): If you log out in your apartment, you are effectively 'safe' like you would be in a cube hotel, regardless of security. Nothing other than a roommate can get in/out. Meaning your valuables (and you) are protected from harm, more or less.
It's specifically if everyone that's keyed into the lock on the door is logged out inside that no one can hack the door and come in. Roommates are a terrible idea for that reason in particular: if you're logged out inside, and your roommate is up and about, or logged out somewhere else, anyone can just break in and kill you.

The exception is that after two months of inactivity, you lose this protection, and anyone can come in, take your shit, and kill you.

I don't know if the Astral Complex is far enough away from FC for the police to not follow you to it. Broham used to be, but they changed that recently.

I notice that Gangland seems to be the property of COPS...  Damn cameras are everywhere.
It's because they're diligent about keeping them under their control, and because whoever's hacking them has a ridiculous hack total, so their all nearly impossible to hack for low-level players (who are specifically the players who would benefit most from the cams... >:().

Does anyone here actually have experience with (un)life as a zombie?  I brought up the Stubbs project with Nowu ingame (Scrub continues to be a truly inspiring individual...  Ran into him again while we were talking), and he said that splitting between clubs and fists wasn't really a great idea, saying I should just go for fists because Zeds are good with that kind of thing and I wouldn't be relying on a gimped reflex stat for clubs.
Lolwut. Zombie doesn't have a penalty to reflexes as far as I know (at least according to the wiki, which isn't properly maintained because the most knowledgeable players have their own private wiki that's only available to goons and the few they feel like allowing to view it >:(), though it does have a penalty to brawn, which (along with endurance) contributes to fists. But aside from that, zombies have their speedcap set at a minimum of 4.5, which is two seconds slower than for non-zombies, and one of the big advantages to fists is their speed.

At first I was crestfallen, because I really wanted to splatter people with severed limbs.  Turns out though, you can only attack people with the predefined weapon-type items, so legbashing is out of the question.  Plus, zombiefisting means initiating more faithful into the fold, so to speak...  And that's always fun (supposedly).
You could always suggest being able to use severed limbs as clubs on *ideas.

However, the wiki claims that zedclaws are only marginally effective weapons, and should be used as a last resort rather than a first assault.  But, hey, at least they're better than squishy humie mitts, eh?
I seem to recall something about zombie+ripper giving zombieripper claws (ripper claws that can inflict zombie rot), though they might have changed that since they announced it.

I have to wonder if NPCs are scared off by zombie players...  If not, can you just imagine the delightful scene of a Zed shambling up to someone on the street and scamming them right then and there?  And then coming back to eat their brains?  And then having the mark rise up and become a brother of the wandering dead?
As far as I know zombies are treated exactly like ordinary players, without even any hunters trying to kill them a la aboms and failpires.

Also, what exactly is picked up on by camcorders?  I was thinking it might be fun to get a load of people together to do a feature flick.
I believe they capture every action performed in the square they're in while running, but they have a memory limit of 100 actions.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: September 18, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »

Lolwut. Zombie doesn't have a penalty to reflexes as far as I know (at least according to the wiki, which isn't properly maintained because the most knowledgeable players have their own private wiki that's only available to goons and the few they feel like allowing to view it >:(), though it does have a penalty to brawn, which (along with endurance) contributes to fists. But aside from that, zombies have their speedcap set at a minimum of 4.5, which is two seconds slower than for non-zombies, and one of the big advantages to fists is their speed.

Yeah, sorry, I wrote that late at night and didn't explain it properly.  I was still thinking specifically about the character I had in mind, which would be a high-cool zombie.  Splitting between Cool, Brawn and Endurance isn't too bad, but trying to add Reflexes onto that just isn't going to work.  That's why I would end up with a low Reflex stat. 

And while zombies do have a (puzzling) penalty to Brawn, they also have a +2 to Endurance (this again according to the wiki of peons.  I hadn't heard anything about a secret goonwiki), so it kinda evens out.  And fists apparently don't rely on Reflexes for their +tohit, so that's fine.  Especially seeing as Reflexes wouldn't do much good even for speed due to the low cap.  Unless... 

Unless it's not just a lowered cap, but is actually a 2-second slowdown across the range.  Then it would be pretty damn nasty.

I haven't heard anything about zombieripper...  The wiki states that people would override the zombie claws by getting the ripper mutation afterwards, but again, that's not exactly the most trustworthy source of information.

Shame to hear about the 100-event limit.  Could've been fun, getting people together and arranging costumes and lines and whatnot...  Make up a whole lil' story.

Anyways, I've just been tooling about FC as my brainiac, doing the little oddjobs that I'm capable of.  Just recently succeeded in finally getting to a power transformer that needed fixing, and found out that I get $350 for every item fixed up to four, when the job is completed and I get a payout of $1500.  After that, they only seemed to give repair experience (which is still nice).  Bit of a nice change of pace from the standard medic jobs.

Also, I'm not really sure what to do with this, but...  I daresay I have within my collection a potentially quite valuable artifact.  I don't know if they hand this thing out multiple times or if it's just the once, but regardless...

I've got Scrub's certificate of etiquette training.  That one they hand out when you read the help page on etiquette.  Thought it was a nice souvenir, all things considered.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: September 18, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »

I've got Scrub's certificate of etiquette training.  That one they hand out when you read the help page on etiquette.  Thought it was a nice souvenir, all things considered.

For future reference, dont do that until you really need to. Its basically a free clone update that can be done from anywhere. And you'll need that later on. Same with the socializer job
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: September 18, 2010, 08:48:12 pm »

Yes, zombie + ripper gives claws that can also give zombie rot. If you want flight, yetifur is good, as it gives you complete immunity to cold and a passive +1 brawn, +1-2 beat resist. Not only that, you get buffs from being in a cold room (max +3 brawn, +3 brains in the sky) which can be good if you want to be a crafter in a freezer. Not only that, you get fucked over by heat! (dishdashas can counter this slightly)

Keep in mind there are nasty chupacabras in the sky which often will aggro, as well as Chambocabra, who wields an AK and has a trophy headband. They deal mean fire and slash damage through considerable soaks. Say hello to [s###] The soaring chupacabra's large pincer rips a bloody chunk out of 76Moogle's abdomen! Running away is a great idea if you can't handle them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:55:21 pm by Ancient Thingy »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: September 18, 2010, 09:50:19 pm »

Presumably by the time one reaches abom one could handle chupacabras, and yeti fur would be a rather silly thing to take if yeti skin is enough to cover the basic hazards of flight, when one could take a different soak to help cover for the weakness of being unable to just slap on heavier armor that can soak it (probably firewalker, especially since chupacabras do fire damage; of course, there are several high-end weapons that do electric, so rubber skin might be better after all...).

Scavenging in sharpton is pretty profitable (I made 10K in two and a half hauls, including the rats I killed for the animal control contract). But it is not something that new/weak players should be doing, on account of the rats. If you can't handle crackfiends trivially, I'd advise that you stay the fuck out of sharpton unless you enjoy being eaten by rats.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: September 18, 2010, 10:07:07 pm »

Well, just made meself a whip from the flayed skin of orphans...  On the first try, no less.  I'm quit proud of myself, actually.

Had my first encounter with zombies recently, too.  One of the random patients in Princeton General was generated as a zombie.  Fun stuff.

After I'd killed him, some player wandered in and started having sex with the corpse.  I was still just monitoring the thing to see if it would come back to life.

So, having lately been a little unsure as to where I should take my character next, I've been thinking about getting picked up by the cops and working the license mill in jail so I can work on my crafting talents (which have been sorely neglected thus far).  Is there anything else I should be focusing on instead?  Are there any particular dangers with getting put in the slammer?  Do I lose any of my seriously awesome stuff?

...should I have dumped all that soda into the gin tub?

Also, while I was sitting in Any Port getting insulted by Care Dog ("For you, we have milk carton"), a couple chaps wandered in from the street and started talking in hushed voices.

Apparently, TLE is dissolving.  Fast.  Vayra has left the corp and some other doofus has run in and installed himself as grand high chieftan of the HQ, but not until after they'd been raided/mucked about with by another player getting snuck in.  A number of people are planning to jump ship and find other corporations, or potentially start their own.

I have no idea if this knowledge is of any use to anybody.  But, hey, it was cloak-and-dagger enough to be supremely interesting.  Also, one of the guys reads the forum here, so hello.

Hmm...  Do zombies suffer from heart attacks?  I've got so many questions about various mutations and gameplay aspects that I'm even starting to get on my own nerves...  But I'd really like to know this stuff.  Because if they don't, I can't fathom any reason why zombies shouldn't get the fibrocartilege mutation (aside from taking up another slot).

Oh, yeah, and I dropped my (N) tag just recently.  Didn't even notice.  I now expect to get repeatedly savaged by most folks, in hilariously nasty ways.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: September 18, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »

Apparently, TLE is dissolving.  Fast.  Vayra has left the corp and some other doofus has run in and installed himself as grand high chieftan of the HQ, but not until after they'd been raided/mucked about with by another player getting snuck in.  A number of people are planning to jump ship and find other corporations, or potentially start their own.
Yep.
I was expecting this for quite a while, as scrubcorps like this usually dissolve.
Let anyone in, you get moles, who open up the HQ for theft.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: September 19, 2010, 03:52:06 am »

Where is the Cave of All Souls and how does one get there?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: September 19, 2010, 07:04:37 am »

After I'd killed him, some player wandered in and started having sex with the corpse.  I was still just monitoring the thing to see if it would come back to life.
That was done for science, I had to confirm that zombie rot wasn't sexually transmittable.

So, having lately been a little unsure as to where I should take my character next, I've been thinking about getting picked up by the cops and working the license mill in jail so I can work on my crafting talents (which have been sorely neglected thus far).  Is there anything else I should be focusing on instead?  Are there any particular dangers with getting put in the slammer?  Do I lose any of my seriously awesome stuff?

In regards to prison, You should definitely put all your stuff away somewhere before attempting to get arrested, since you don't actually get arrested but just killed and cloned in prison. Grinding craft in there requires finding that damn shiv making diagram in one of the cells, so you might have to be in there a long time. Alternatively, just make a ridiculous amount of license plates while in prison, then bring them to the book store to buy the recipe when you're out to make those shivs. If you don't particularly want to go to prison to grind craft, you can also strip the clothes off of horny citizens and improv bandages with <clothing>.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: September 19, 2010, 08:59:20 am »

Where is the Cave of All Souls and how does one get there?
Bad directions are bad, but I seem to remember being able to get there by going to Lurleen (down the western road out of slagtown, keep going until you hit the village), going south from the main intersection, then southeast/east. There'll be a new area; it's in the northwest. Lots of spiders, making it a pain in the ass if you're trying to get a mutation.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: September 19, 2010, 09:16:55 am »

The cave of all souls is in adamant canyon, past chem plant, lurleen, mountain pass, weezer dam, and just about everything but necro. Bring the ability to kill maybe yetis if you don't run past, some EMP weaponry, warm clothing, and good climb. You have to climb up to luskentyre and then get past Zebediah, either by killing him (and getting weak enforcers on your ass + a hit to your luskentyre rep) or signing a lamprey contract and shoving one of the buggers into his same square. Wait for the lamprey to aggro and then when Zeb's dead, climb down. Kill the ghost with your emp stuff and then mutate.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 311