Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 311

Author Topic: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.  (Read 477258 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.
« Reply #2520 on: April 11, 2010, 03:03:34 am »

Decided to give it another go at the behest of some friends. Handling it much better now, dunno why I didn't manage to get into it before. name is Athame

Samuel Clemens

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: April 11, 2010, 08:59:16 am »

Yeah, Z-LYN is the worst Robot. In fact I have composed a list of robots in order of how good they are.

1.Shezbot2100      - Best Robot, noone can ever top.
2. Berrik - Newest robot, still pretty awesome and actually does things.
3. MKII - Me, also a robot who does things. - Griefed the most with decals until an admin(Jed, I believe) realized this was hilariously overpowered and nerfed it.
4. Z-LYN - Stayin in the apartment forever and whinin on zotnet. Master of verbal PvP. Kinda sucks.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: April 11, 2010, 05:19:50 pm »

Meh remembered why I got sick of it rather quickly. For some reason I cannot stand the dying bit, and I'm not really finding any direction or goals to shoot for that I can actually achieve without megagrind. So probably dropping it again.

Samuel Clemens

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: April 11, 2010, 06:23:19 pm »

Welp, I feel like a job well done.

Booted from chatnet, banned for a day from zotnet and banned from *gr and *chatter.

MKII hi5s hellmoo.

dorkface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: April 12, 2010, 11:23:27 am »

Hellmoo's a social game, first and foremost. If you can't find a way to connect with people, you're gonna have a pretty lousy time of it! I can see how the hazing most newbies have to put up with might turn some people off, but in my experience its how the hazee responds to it that tends to indicate how successful they'll be.

Having a laugh at your own misfortunes and getting chummy with your oppressors works wonders at improving what people think of you. Sure, those losses are harder to recoup as a newbie, but you're vastly more likely to have people help you get on your feet and find your bearings than if you freak out about MY ITEMS and swear eternal revenge on those that wronged you.

Heck, some of the chillest Hellmoo players I've met were the ones that broke into my apartment as a newbie and started incinerating everything; a little small talk as I helped them destroy all my possessions that weren't in my inventory, and the next day they're paging me to accompany them on Shenanigans. Hellmoo's a funny place like that.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: April 12, 2010, 01:19:46 pm »

Hellmoo's a social game, first and foremost. If you can't find a way to connect with people, you're gonna have a pretty lousy time of it! I can see how the hazing most newbies have to put up with might turn some people off, but in my experience its how the hazee responds to it that tends to indicate how successful they'll be.

Having a laugh at your own misfortunes and getting chummy with your oppressors works wonders at improving what people think of you. Sure, those losses are harder to recoup as a newbie, but you're vastly more likely to have people help you get on your feet and find your bearings than if you freak out about MY ITEMS and swear eternal revenge on those that wronged you.

Heck, some of the chillest Hellmoo players I've met were the ones that broke into my apartment as a newbie and started incinerating everything; a little small talk as I helped them destroy all my possessions that weren't in my inventory, and the next day they're paging me to accompany them on Shenanigans. Hellmoo's a funny place like that.

Yes, I'm comparing you to this
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: April 12, 2010, 01:40:27 pm »

It's not the playerbase that gets to me really, so much as random failure at mundane, non-PvP tasks and the lack of progression I'm seeing from my grinding. Of course I was a bit grumpy when I made my last post because I hadn't taken my meds for the day

dorkface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: April 14, 2010, 02:09:40 pm »

Well hey, I'm not EXACTLY collaborating with the Nazi-equivalents! Perhaps if only because you can't put players inside incinerators yet...

As for getting frustrated with comically failing at mundane tasks, well, any good corp will help you with that. Grinding, however, is a thing of misery to be shunned when possible! I've had much more fun going on stupid adventures and trying to find bizarre things to do that the admins hadn't even thought of than wasting time watching a number slowly tick up. Sure, you'll have to do it to be numerically 'good' at the game, but what's the rush! Get a few ip here and there while you go out and get killed trying to find out if Mr. Landmine and Mr. Remote Mine can be friends.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: April 14, 2010, 02:21:42 pm »

What dorkface says is true. If you play for mucking around etc, it's way better than if you grind 24/7
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: April 14, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »

If i stick landmines in a toybox will it explode when the box is opened?

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: April 14, 2010, 04:51:21 pm »

Try it, find out.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #2531 on: April 24, 2010, 12:16:00 pm »

... really considering giving this game a while.

Any /beginner/ advice? Mostly about joining with other people in the game if that's the done thing, or if ganging up with other B12ers isn't, what is?

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: April 24, 2010, 05:14:51 pm »

Max reflexes, and train dodge. Also, there's no B12 corp, as far as I can see. We're spread out all over the place.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: April 25, 2010, 03:51:27 pm »

Max reflexes, and train dodge. Also, there's no B12 corp, as far as I can see. We're spread out all over the place.
Yeah, we are. There was a semi bay12 corp, but its long gone.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: April 27, 2010, 03:33:31 am »

What does first half of the title of this thread refer to? I remember the first time I read it I thought it was some sort of global warming ARG.
Benzene on steam.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 311