Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 311

Author Topic: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.  (Read 476784 times)

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
Re: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.
« Reply #3045 on: September 25, 2010, 08:46:18 am »

Not to t'mention it can help you escape the cube.
kinda.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Fritz

• Bay Watcher
  • Hallo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: September 25, 2010, 08:49:08 am »

The proton pack is a very good weapon when used with ectoblast cells! But is is usually too slow to be of use in a practical fight, unless you have good brawn, which reminds me...

You can be both a nerd and a brawny person, and still come out pretty well in combat if you do your math right! There have been a few powerful nerds who have used clubs and pistols to great efficiency with a good amount of brawn. Pistol have a powerful gun known as the Super Shotty that requires quite a hefty amount of brawn to use, but the damage (as well as speed) of the gun is amazing~

With clubs, getting reflex, brawn and brains in a pretty decent range isn't all that hard. Although you will lose a bit of doge for not going senses, the damage and speed of the mighty club will more than make up for it. As unpractical as it may sound, a brawny nerd is a pretty good fighter! Stank, one of COPS' nerds, is a pretty good club user who can take out dangerous critters quite often. There was also Squeek, who did pretty good pre-wipe using clubs and proton packs, due to his high brawn.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:53:57 am by Fritz »
While beneath the rest, I will best them with zest!

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: September 25, 2010, 09:09:20 am »

Freezer kits are much more expensive than refrigerators, but they have the quirk of giving you an extra room, and every container inside that room acts like a refrigerator. Well worth it, imo. It will probably freeze you to death though, unless you have warm clothing. Yetifurs can also craft in there due to the extra brain buffs.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: September 25, 2010, 09:13:57 am »

I locked about 4 idiots in my freezer once.
Good times.
Yes, they froze to death.

Granted I lost that apartment on my 2nd extended hiatus but heh.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: September 25, 2010, 10:15:50 am »

About to reach my 5th raw in grinding craft, any idea what would be best for that last grind stretch?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: September 25, 2010, 12:50:16 pm »

Refrigerators are $6K, that's basically nothing for an essentially permanent object that you need.

It is, however, a slightly difficult acquisition when your liquid assets amount to a little over $3.5k.  Yes, I really do hate blackjack right now.

A note about the clubbing nerd that Fritz detailed is that clubs are remarkably versatile.  If your third stat is Brains, you can hold up your end with medical assistance, hacking, repairing, crafting, and even the occasional bomb.  If you pick Senses, you get crafting again, plus a bonus to dodge, scavenging and tracking.  You even get an extra bonus to throwing, which I've heard can be quite useful under certain circumstances.

And if you pick Cool as the third stat, you've got the triumvirate of gun-based stats.  Brawn, Reflexes and Cool.  At that point you may choose to be a knife user instead of clubs, but clubs can still be used well and they're not bad weapons overall (from what I can tell).  I still have no idea why a sagebrush is supposed to melt people, but I guess that's just my ignorance talking.

I actually hadn't even thought about taking Yeti Fur on this character...  But the cold brains bonus might be handy, and it's always good fun to bunk out in a place that other people have great difficulty with.  But I am a bit cautious about the penalty to being in a warm place.  Might have to take Chiller as well, then I can even preserve food without a cooler, which is an added bonus.  An added-added bonus would be that it mitigates the Cool penalty of snagging Swollen Brain.

At the moment I've got 3-4 mutation slots and nothing in 'em.  Been a little unsure how to proceed on a number of fronts.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: September 25, 2010, 01:03:22 pm »

I made my char last night- Toaster.  I read two help files and had to disconnect, though.  I haven't moved from my starting spot, though.  I'm still waffling about which way to go with my char.  Craft (and by extension brains) are a given, but I'm waffling over several possibilities after that.  Bombs will probably something I just do on the side and not focus on.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Fritz

• Bay Watcher
  • Hallo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: September 25, 2010, 01:21:50 pm »

About to reach my 5th raw in grinding craft, any idea what would be best for that last grind stretch?

If you have a boat, you can make some food (or buy some tandoori kebabs) and sail on over to Coventry Island and hand some of the locals there some food. You get craft IP if you bring them around 5 or so pieces of food. Remember to bring a kidney cooler, because it's a long trip unless you have a speed boat! You can only do the delivery job once every 4 HellMOO days, but it should still help out with that last raw.

This is HellMOO's boatmap.
http://hellmoo.org/~dionysus/boats/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:25:17 pm by Fritz »
While beneath the rest, I will best them with zest!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: September 25, 2010, 01:41:40 pm »

I still have no idea why a sagebrush is supposed to melt people, but I guess that's just my ignorance talking.
Do not insult the might sagebrush!
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: September 25, 2010, 04:56:32 pm »

Alright, yet another decision to be made...  I've got around $8,000 now thanks to a couple jobs and selling four dishes of bacon-wrapped lobstro to Weyland-Utani ($975 a pop, booyeah).

A fridge costs $6,000, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just buy a cooler and hold off on the fridge until some other time.  As it is now I could buy a kidney cooler along with either a sewing machine or a chem lab.

Sewing would mean I could make the occasional junk pants or loincloth or chudskin jacket, and it also means I could open up this lovely production line for grinding craft.

However, a chem lab would allow me to grind up chemistry, not to mention churn out the ever-useful Mortilex hypos and large trauma kits.  I don't know if you can just improvise molotovs or if you need a lab for some reason...  But I think the sewing machine would actually make it easier for molotovs.

So yeah.  I think I'd rather go for another workbench at this point than splurge on a fridge which, honestly, isn't going to get a whole lot more use than a cooler.  And I can drag a cooler around with me when I'm 'shopping'.  Now it's just a question of which workbench to get.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: September 25, 2010, 05:22:02 pm »

But I think the sewing machine would actually make it easier for molotovs.

What kind of molotovs are you sew... brewing?

Take a look at the stuff you have available, or what you easily can get, and buy whatever bench you can gain most IP from with what you have.
You'll probably have enough for another bench soon enough anyway.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: September 25, 2010, 05:43:12 pm »

Where do you get/How do you make flame chains, anyway?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: September 25, 2010, 05:45:18 pm »

Rednecks i think.

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: September 25, 2010, 06:01:10 pm »

Karns will very occasionally drop flame chains.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: September 25, 2010, 06:02:21 pm »

GOKU!!! >:(
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 311