Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 311

Author Topic: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.  (Read 477193 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.
« Reply #2640 on: September 05, 2010, 08:05:56 pm »

Really, no input? :-\

I decided that for the time being, I'm just going to redo the brains build I was so successful with before, and then maybe experiment with an alt once I have enough money to pay rent in the meantime.

I'm also curious about the current corps (and damn well smart enough not to ask in game), namely what, if any, are the current pariah/scrub corps, like the DSI and WHORE/SLUTS of old (ENEMA doesn't count, being the semi-default starting corp instead of an obnoxious corp consisting entirely of the noobiest noobs and run by a universally despised pariah (not that I joined it, since it sounds like it's mostly for new players and has a shit payrate)), and what the current griefercorps are. I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to give accurate advice on what corps are helpful and have nice payrates (unless they happened to be in one), but knowing who to avoid joining/persecute and who to avoid being noticed by for the sake of my skin would be quite helpful.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #2641 on: September 05, 2010, 09:19:06 pm »

KREW seems solid as always.
I got nothing

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: September 05, 2010, 10:46:52 pm »

I didn't think KREW was still around, since I haven't seen anyone with a KREW tag listed under who... That's also less useful than knowing who to avoid... :-\

I love HellMOO. I've left it several times due to losing interest in the grind, but keep coming back to it. In what other game can you get rad poisoning because some asshole left fuel rods lying around the city, then develop cancer because of it (what does that do, btw, and can I deal with it in a better way than just letting it kill me? (only downside to that is cloning costs and the cost of a new cocoon))?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: September 05, 2010, 10:53:55 pm »

Actually, ENEMA is very good for new players. The whole point of the corp is to tide you over until you can handle a real one. This is why it's composed universally of newbs and the few managers who stayed on for the purpose of helping newbs out.

If you do join ENEMA you should not stick with it once you manage to lose your N-tag. Also the pay is crappy.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: September 05, 2010, 11:05:08 pm »

Even in a corp with a .9 payrate you barely make enough killing shit for early contracts. Given their .5 (or whatever) payrate there's no financial incentive to join it (I'd be better off scavenging junk than killing crackheads for $35 a piece, since scavenging doesn't (usually) leave you needing medical gear...), and if someone is already acquainted with the game, or at least the part they're playing, I see no educational benefit either...

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: September 05, 2010, 11:07:07 pm »

True.

You could join hbarn or FLEX or something. Hell, I'd join FLEX. The owner is goddamn terrifying, which is always reassuring.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: September 06, 2010, 02:00:37 am »

True.

You could join hbarn or FLEX or something. Hell, I'd join FLEX. The owner is goddamn terrifying, which is always reassuring.
Yes, NDY is a cool dude.

If anyone catches me while I'm on, or just has some questions about the game or anything like that, feel free to ask for help!!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: September 06, 2010, 09:55:02 am »

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more people here who play HellMOO. I suppose a 177 page thread doesn't exactly entice new readers, does it?

Wait, NDY? Would that be Notdeadyet, the founder of the old BF1? Er, "who NDY" confirms it's notdeadyet, though it lists him as the holder of USA.

I'm still curious what "cancerous tumors" do. Am I just going to drop dead at a random moment, can I cure them, would I be better off just suiciding now?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:59:08 am by Sir Pseudonymous »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: September 06, 2010, 10:10:22 am »

NDY handed FLEX to Logle, apparently. Logle just got banned, so I guess they're headless for now. Maybe I should move out of ENEMA soon.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: September 06, 2010, 10:44:57 am »

lal hellmoo
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: September 06, 2010, 02:15:09 pm »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: September 06, 2010, 09:26:20 pm »

Hmmm... Build Idea: Start with 14 brains and cool, and 10 brawn and reflex, and tag repair, medic, blade, and rifles. It opens up versatility later, though it would be a bit gimped until brawn and reflex could be gymed up, though the cool partially alleviates that. It leaves a character that can maintain their own equipment and give themselves medical attention more or less off the bat, has crafting sort of open to them, can learn hack (meaning easy early money, and a lot more for the skill requirement than grinding crackheads and/or chobos) and locksmith without as much trouble as a pure combat build, but starts off with lower weapon-relevant stats.

Great idea, or greatest idea? :P

I'm considering rerolling with that, because what the hell? It's just a game, so I may as well dick around with something more novel than a brains/senses whip using crafter. (When you erase your clone, do you lose your money and equipment? I seem to recall being assured that you don't... Not that I have anything particularly valuable, but still...)

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: September 06, 2010, 09:37:43 pm »

I remember playing this aeons ago but was never really good at character building and always felt inferior to everyone else who had more money and better connections and could destroy me without hesitation and in a moments notice if they so willed it. Usually without provocation. I always tried to be helpful, but eh, I can't deny that it was hilarious and that I had a good time playing.

Playing with Bay12 people would be awesome. Too bad we all seem to be strewn about instead of in our own corp. I don't really get why that is. C'mon guys, we're dwarves! We can conquer any foe, overcome any obstacle with our combined might and wit. We just need to build up decent characters to support ourselves first.

And on that note, is anyone willing to hold my hand whilst I play this? I'm not all too great at character builds but I'd like something fun to play that will be helpful in a corp and I'll be able to make cash with. I don't really want a tank character like my last one, that was waaay too much grind.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: September 06, 2010, 09:47:43 pm »

Medic/Crafter, maybe? You'd be much loved for making neat items and patching people up.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: September 06, 2010, 10:04:33 pm »

Yeah, the support build here is pretty good. (It took me forever to find that page, because I forgot it was "Character creation" and the name had nothing to do with "starting" or "builds"...)

I suppose the issue for my build idea is just how gimped it would be. It would never reach the power level of a pure combat build, and with senses as a dump stat it would never be a top-tier crafter either. But it would be self-sufficient, and have a very easy early source of money in cams. It would just be harder getting it up to even the level a pure combat build starts at... Implants could partially mitigate its drawbacks, though it would probably never be able to go toe to toe with end-game pvp builds (not that there are ever that many around, nor am I necessarily going to keep interest in it long enough to get there)... It wouldn't necessarily even be as good as a pure support in combat...

I'm tempted to make it an alt, but I've only spent a few hours with my current character, so it's not like I'd lose much work...

Gah, why am I worrying so much? If it's shit, what do I lose? Nothing but a little time. If it's awesome, what do I gain? Everything.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 311