Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 311

Author Topic: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.  (Read 477306 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.
« Reply #2355 on: January 31, 2010, 01:00:27 pm »

As funny as that is to hear about...man that just sounds annoying to play through. I still don't get the attraction here.

Oh Piecewise, Hellmoo isn't about grinding crackheads forever, it's a SOCIAL game. The vast majority of the entertainment comes from the interactions with the playerbase combined with the roguelike elements of autonomous forces creating unexpected situations that can be capitalized on with clever thinking.

If all you find yourself wanting to do is grind in order to be able to grind more, then congratulations on being completely and utterly oblivious!

Oh, I tried to be social, it got me murdered a half dozen times. Personally the only people I really see talking or messing around are the endgame players. Every time I tried to strike up a conversation with someone they would either ignore me, tell me they were too busy to talk or just tell me to give them my armor. Also my interactions with my corp basically boiled down to the leader telling us to grind more because he spent all our money or a few sentences worth of talking with a corpmate because he was too busy killing to talk. I gave up on talking in AP because of the massive spam, so really There wasn't alot of social fun for me.

The times when I did have fun where when I was exploring the world, looking at items and people, trying to fiddle with things and put them together into other things, those were all fun. The problem once again goes back to the fact that you can't really explore too far without grinding or you constantly risk death and loss of everything you've done. So it pretty much seems like you have to at least hang around a pretty good amount of time to become social in a way besides mugging and exploration again relies on grinding. Once again, I just don't feel like spending months just to become friends with people who find it funny to waste hours of my time by killing me.

Personally I prefer these forums for social interaction, because it seems as though DF attracts people with a bit more restraint and intelligence then a game which encourages you to rape orphans.

Thats all I'm gonna say on that matter though, because I don't want to detract from people who do enjoy the game or get this thread horribly off track.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: January 31, 2010, 02:38:01 pm »

Is there a *comedy of this cocoon hold up?

I don't know Twerp, not many people shop there anyways with all the overpriced stuff. If you want to keep it open there could be a niche for moderately price high-end armour, that's usually what other stores overprice. This is Mason btw.

dorkface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: January 31, 2010, 03:10:47 pm »

Apparently you were either in a terrible corp, or you're just too Serious Business for a game in which newbies get paid for killing rabid orphans while elsewhere in the world somebody is on live tv sitting on the blade of a revving chainsaw while a third arm erupts from the torso of their co-host as he's dying from the plutonium rod he inserted into his rectum. Why're so you upset about getting killed and losing stuff and whatnot? I thought you Dwarf Fortress folks were all about the "Losing is fun!" business.

also saying things like people who play dwarf fortress are inherently more intelligent than other people doesn't speak well for you but perhaps i digress !! (not really)

And as for the corpstore, I'm just considering whether there's useful things that other corpstore tend to neglect that would be in demand that wouldn't require me to spend all my time restocking the dang place. Stuff like mortilex hypos and contracts from distant npc shops.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:14:35 pm by dorkface »

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: January 31, 2010, 04:06:10 pm »

I stock mort in DYNE.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: January 31, 2010, 04:25:49 pm »

Found the powersquirt in 77Jack's store. Wasn't too hard to get in, but it was hard to leave without a ton of hardware. He's got some good shit in there.

Edit: My beretta blew up in my face, so I switched to hunting ghosts with my powersquirt and spent some time grinding rifles for fun. I like rifles better, honestly, but I think both (as well as possibly some blades skill) could be very useful. In particular, I picked up a rusty ak-7 off a dead wastelander. I finally found a replacement beretta and a 44 from Sargo. So I'm back in business, with a way to get money now, which is good. After rerolling pistols I went through almost 30k, pistols are ridiculously expensive.

Best thing I think you could sell would be mid range armor. Players used to grind their weapon skill until parry or raw power let them kill stuff for good money, now we have to use good weapons, which means grinding things that are more dangerous. We're going to need the soaks. Weapons that grind past 4 would be a good idea too. Patterns, even if you price them high, would be good, maybe sell patterns for the things you don't sell so you don't drive yourself out of business.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:40:56 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: February 02, 2010, 01:20:54 am »

Yeah, these new grinding rules are kind of bull. I've got relatively high exp, so I don't get any exp on easy enemies. The enemies i DO get exp on, however, are most likely going to kill me if I don't finish them quickly. How am I supposed to grind pistols?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Charlatan

• Bay Watcher
  • you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: February 02, 2010, 01:36:00 am »

So I know Crowbar's Basement is supposed to be unrobbable and whatnot, but as it turns out it's not and we did that. Credit goes to Datfukkenpig for the most excellent idea. I've pastebinned a synopsis, log, the loot inside, etc:

http://pastebin.com/f4d5ce78e

You are all cordially invited to try and top that badass caper because I don't think you can. (also nothing involved in this heist actually involved high stats or XP whatsoever, which is funny considering our current conversation.)
when all you have is a knife, everything looks like an old person

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: February 02, 2010, 01:44:11 am »

That was AMAZING.
I don't think anything can top that.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: February 02, 2010, 01:52:10 am »

HOLY BLOODY FUCK THAT IS AMAZING. Also, dammit, if i had been on, i could have supplied you with everything you needed when you ran out. I have some sheets/servomotor/etc lying around.

Charlatan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: February 02, 2010, 02:04:55 am »

I maybe would've asked except for that for 90% of you guys I don't know who you are in-game.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: February 02, 2010, 02:10:15 am »

That is... Awesome. I am amazed at you. You have made history. And now, millions of potential newbs will want to do the same.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Charlatan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: February 02, 2010, 03:04:25 am »

When I was new, the thing like that was that someone had done the Colossus Silo quest that launches the giant nuke at Maas, and used a portal to direct the nuke so that it killed everything in Freedom City. There are probably many more of these things to be done, we just have to think of them.

Fritz

• Bay Watcher
  • Hallo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: February 02, 2010, 06:24:36 am »

That is some brilliant work there. I caught the paste-bin ingame a little while ago, and I gotta say, that was some damn good A-Team'ing you folks pulled off! Very awesome.
While beneath the rest, I will best them with zest!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: February 02, 2010, 11:10:05 am »

That was brilliant. Abso-fucking-lutely brilliant. And now that it's been done, you can bet that the admins will enjoy playing with the first copycat. Probably start removing items they bring. Still, brilliant.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: February 07, 2010, 12:19:10 am »

So, to hopefully revive this thread somewhat, I just noticed that for the second time I was able to grind to one point past the grind cap on a weapon. The first time was with a beretta, now with an american 180. I'm wondering if this is intended or if I should report it (or not). The grind cap on rifles is ridiculous,  a $4000 gun only goes to 2, the american 180 only goes to 3. Absolutely ridiculous.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 311