Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 311

Author Topic: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.  (Read 477446 times)

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
Re: HellMOO: Go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company.
« Reply #2025 on: December 23, 2009, 07:18:48 am »

Yeah, I've realized this. Since I ended up building up blade from scratch
Yeah yeah yeah!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: December 23, 2009, 12:01:41 pm »

If you get stressed, I would recommend makin' a little love. Sounds to me that logically, that would remove stress, though I don't know for sure.

I'm the support class, so I started with whip; should I use that as my weapon, or just use blade? If the latter, why did I get a whip in the first place?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: December 23, 2009, 03:13:38 pm »

What were your starting stats Cheddarius? Whips are pretty weak compared to most weapons and should probably only be used by brainy characters since they usually have the stats needed for them (reflexes and senses). Blades use reflexes and cool.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: December 23, 2009, 03:39:09 pm »

I had 14 senses, 14 brains, and 10 reflexes.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: December 23, 2009, 10:01:39 pm »

So does your age increase as you get stronger?

I rerolled and I got a blade-centric character now, killing orphans seems to be my best bet in order to get badass at the moment.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: December 23, 2009, 10:05:54 pm »

I see lots of brain characters getting some cool and reflexes along the way to use guns. Guns beat whips by far and are pretty powerful, and they let you [aim] at people and fight from cover, but need ammo, constant maintenance and you can't powerattack with them.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: December 23, 2009, 10:41:32 pm »

So does your age increase as you get stronger?

I rerolled and I got a blade-centric character now, killing orphans seems to be my best bet in order to get badass at the moment.
The stress of dieing is what makes you age as I recall. Though certain *ahem* "parts" of your character will grow the more xp you have as well.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: December 23, 2009, 10:54:24 pm »

You age with the passing of time. Dying makes you a bit older (by a few in game months, I think) and using the machine in stormfront island makes you age a whooping 10 years. You don't get strong as you age, your description just changes slightly, and if you're considerably old, you get periodical heart attacks.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: December 24, 2009, 05:34:00 pm »

Ergh. I can't believe I've done this, but I've rolled up a character. Deadlycairn, a fistfighting-build. This is my first foray into the world of MOO, so please, no violating :P
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

thebmw94

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: December 24, 2009, 10:11:44 pm »

Well, I'll certainly keep away, but good luck with the other players.  Although, to be honest, I've hardly ever been griefed ingame.  The closest I've gotten was being caught inside the crack mansion when it was bombed, and that was only because someone wanted some decent cash.

Anyway, I've decided to get back to it.  I've lost all my lotus armor, as well as my katana, but overall I'm doing well and getting back on track.  No corp though.  Any decent ones I should look into?  I got kicked out of Nexus for inactivity, and it appears the entire corp is dead (or Zero_Ziat just doesn't play anymore).  I'd appreciate any help, getting money isn't so easy when you can't just grind crackheads for awhile.

If you guys need any help, or just need a place to crash, I'm BigB ingame.  I log on at a bunch of different times though, so don't expect to see me too much.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: December 24, 2009, 10:48:25 pm »

So far I'm just killing innocent orphans, figuring out the interface, getting my bearings etc. etc.

EDIT: So how do I know when to stop killin' orphans? I'm generally a very cautious gamer, but this is compounded when I don't know what I'm doing. What skills should I raise? When should I move on to crackheads?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 12:43:17 am by deadlycairn »
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: December 25, 2009, 05:08:51 am »

There are two ways to move onto crackheads.

1) You kill them so fast that their attacks mean nothing.
2) Your defense is so good that none of their attacks can harm you.

Some combination of this can be achieved with a decent total in a weapon and some Armordillo Plate armor, which specializes against blunt damage, the crackhead's only angle. They aren't very expensive; the KREW corp store in the galleria is an ideal first place to look. It's not a WIN button, but it's pretty close.

What skills depends on your stats and what you want to do. In general, as a newbie, you're gonna want a weapon skill, and you're gonna want it good. You're gonna want to find a good weapon for that skill and hold onto it like it's enchanted with the souls of all of your relatives or failing that, people you like.

A popular first mutation is High Density. It has no drawbacks (besides being one of your selected skin mutations) and provides amazing blunt damage resistance. Crackheads can still get in a nice shot here and there but it's usually a cakewalk. Combine it with armordillo armor and they probably can't even damage you when they're lucky.

It's been so long that I can't tell you what weapon total to have. [14] to [16] is probably the minimum, I'd guess. (Not RAW, the x.yz number; the total in brackets!)

I read you're a fist fighter? You probably want to forego the knuckle busters; the fist's higher hitrate is preferable, and longer battles will result in more IP acquisition toward your fist skill. Plus, it feels much more awesome.

thebmw94

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: December 25, 2009, 12:50:04 pm »

Keiseth is correct for the most part, at least if my experience is any indication.  You'll only want to move up to crackheads when orphans are a cakewalk.  However, I'm definitely gonna say that his requirements are a bit too high.

High density only deflects around 1-3 Blunt damage, which is the amount that an unarmed fist does.  Since crackheads don't use any weapons, that's all the damage you need to account for.  If you can't get High Density (which I doubt you could get without any help), you only need armor that blocks that amount of Blunt damage.  Which should be easy, considering that a pair of leather pants can stop a good amount of fist attacks on its own.

My first set of armor was a pair of kneepads, football shoulderpads, and some leather pants.  That pretty much stopped all of the crackheads' attacks, at least if they didn't land a hit on your arms or head.  You can probably even drop the kneepads, although that might make your legs vunerable.  My offer still stands too; I'll gladly outfit you for free, although the equipment won't be extravagent.

Also, with Blades, I only need a total of 12 to kill crackheads.  Hell, my Blades is only at 14 right now!  But Fists and Blades are two different things, so I can't say for sure what amount you need.

Also, as Keiseth said, definitely get a knuckle buster.  That will give you a lot more killing power than you already do.

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: December 25, 2009, 01:00:27 pm »

Get a corp with a crackhead contract to earn you dough while you're at it, too. After crackheads don't give you xp anymore, you'll want to try chuds/chobos who both live in the sewers. Beware, there's no cams in the sewers, so a grief-happy guy might try and attack you there.

Chuds do slashing damage, but other than that they're around the same difficulty as crackheads. Get snakeskin and some lotus armor, I guess.

Chobos are like upgraded chuds, except with pimped out pipes. They do beating damage like crackheads, but they do it harder and they'll be considerably tougher for newbies. Armordillo gear + HD will still probably be enough for them, just get at least 15-17 hit with your weapon? (dunno, it's been a long time since i was at that stage)

And then after THAT, try arachnos. They're in the subsewers below the bug queen. She does slashing damage and she's not too hard, but she has pretty good soaks and she will try and eat you. In that unfortunate event, light a cig and smoke it or if you have Writhing Smoke then just 'spew' and she'll vomit you out. If you don't have either, then you'll just have to die from her stomach acids/wait for a corpmate to cut you out. Keep in mind there's a nest there filled with bug eggs that you can sell to Avram for a good chunk of money. They're also used in the BrundleChud quest, and they're a trophy too!

On to the actual arachnos: these beasties are tuff and buff like you've never seen before. They have small soaks, but the main problem with them is that they do a truckload of slashing and stabbing to the unprepared newbie. I would advise having 20+ hit on your weapon to deal with them. In all honesty, for defense, when I was a newbie I just got snakeskin and layered leather jackets + pants, got a riot helmet, layered lotus tebukuros, and got a pair of combat boots to defend against their attacks. (They also have parry class 2 pincers, so only player characters with parry class 2 weapons will be able to parry them! People with parry class 1/0 weapons will have to rely on dodge.)

There's so much after arachnos that I won't even bother to list them here, but what I did was yetis in the mountain pass (they can powerattack), ice yetis in weezer (they do unsoakable psychic damage), karnivores in nukem academy (they do a FUCKTON of bullet damage, get caballero gear for these guys!) and then bootleggers in Glowstiller (they can either do a FUCKTON of bullet damage (even more so than karns) where you need caballero gear, or they might have melee weapons like sledgehammers/chainsaws/baseball bats etc.)  which is where I am currently right now. If you need help just page 76Moogle in game.

EDIT: @ thebmw, HD actually defends against 3-5 beat damage which is more than the untrained fist does, but crackheads still might score a 1-3 damage hit against you. Get some lotus gear just in case. They won't hurt you at all with armordillo gear on.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 01:04:58 pm by Ancient Thingy »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: December 25, 2009, 01:29:34 pm »

You overestimate the average crackhead. With a bit of medic, and a decent weapon, they don't need HD. Indeed, if your a fist user, FM is a much better choice, or constant trips to Hellfire. Keeping yourself horribly horny will give you an extra 3-4 total to fists, I forget how much. Or if you get IL, you keep yourself drunk and you heal constantly, which helps you against every mob, and not just beat damage guys. I would say Iron Liver is better then High Density, at least for long term solutions.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 311