Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mandate...  (Read 1613 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Mandate...
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 02:16:49 pm »

Agreed.

Imprisonment often can be traced back to unhappy thoughts, so unless you want the process to repeat itself, you need to try to break it before they're released.  "Being released" generates a moderately happy thought, so that's one thing, but often not enough if they've had deaths in their inner circle or lost their only masterpiece or whatever, something truly large.  You need to get them off the ledge and back to being productive, so they can generate more happy thoughts on their own.

A chain can access the 8 tiles around it (it occupies the center), and should be highest quality/value and well decorated.  Your highest quality bed, table and chair take 3 of those, booze stockpiles might take another 3.  If you want, you could overlap the booze with the next chain over, and let the dwarves hang out together a bit (maybe even get some social skills? mixed blessing.)  Maybe a well if you really are ambitious.

If you really want to go for pro-active correctional policy, take a look at their profile for preferences, and install what they like - a cage with a cow "for their haunting moos", or a stockpile with a great sceptre (manufactured to order, one would think), whatever they will appreciate most.

Also, having your leader available for meetings (few other labors turned on) is advisable to avoid this in the first place.  (Don't know the mechanics of meetings while caged/chained.)

Iirc, thoughts last about a year or so*; if so it may take a while to wait for that one deal-breaker bad thought to wear off, and they might repeat their tantrum during that time.  But if they don't kill anyone new, they should break out of the cycle.

(* Not in the wiki, but thought I read that somewhere - anyone confirm/correct?)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 04:35:49 pm »

Iirc, thoughts last about a year or so*; if so it may take a while to wait for that one deal-breaker bad thought to wear off, and they might repeat their tantrum during that time.  But if they don't kill anyone new, they should break out of the cycle.

(* Not in the wiki, but thought I read that somewhere - anyone confirm/correct?)

While it's reliability is always questionable, the wiki states under Thought that the effect of any given thought, whether positive or negative, halves after half a year has passed from receiving said thought and disappears after another half year(for a total of one year from receiving the thought).

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 04:53:27 pm »

(* Not in the wiki...

Lies.  ::)

Thanks! 

And I'd tend to believe this - seems about right.  The general reliability of the wiki is good - it's perfect accuracy is never "perfect".

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 04:58:51 pm »

*Back to the original question*

Okay, I ignored the stupid mandate completely. But the mayor sentenced my blacksmith to a beating. (I don't know who doled out the beating.) But my blacksmith wound up with a broken leg.

Now she's lying in the Barracks, dying of thirst. (My fortress is in the middle of the desert and has absolutely no water source.)

Any idea who could have performed the beating? I don't have a Sheriff, but I do have a few fortress guards...
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 05:06:49 pm »

And this is why you shouldn't embark without water.  I think you're screwed.

You're options:
1) Let your blacksmith die of thirst
2) Set aside the save until Toady releases the next version.  I think he said something about letting injured dwarves drink booze for the next release

And if you don't have a hammerer or a Sheriff/Captain of the Guard, then clearly it was one of your Fortress Guards.  Create a prison system or eliminate the Guard to prevent further occurrences.  Or get used to horribly murdering nobles.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 06:28:39 pm »

If a beating is assigned, it's done unarmed by a Captain or Guardsdwarf. These usually aren't dangerous, unless you get something like your situation where he's maimed and dies of dehydration. If you don't mind cheating, DwarfCompanion will heal your blacksmith's broken leg so he can go drink some booze.

The hammerer is, to my knowledge, sent when the other forms of justice aren't carried out swiftly enough. As long as your Captain or a Guardsdwarf arrive in a timely manner, he'll never be needed. My guess is his only purpose is to force you to activate justice at a certain point, since other than the hammerings failing a mandate has pathetic consequences.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 06:41:48 pm »

except if you don't have a guard at all, the hammerer continues to do nothing. He only acts if the assigned guard doesn't do their job. If there's no guard assigned, he doesn't have a job to not do. And the hammerer spends his whole day getting drunk and partying.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 07:44:54 pm »

he doesn't have a job to not do. And the hammerer spends his whole day getting drunk and partying.

I want his job...  BADLY....  who needs a hammerer?  I'll be in the meeting hall, looking for booze...
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 07:10:54 am »

2 of my nobles occasionally mandate the creation of glass items, and I'm in a map without sand.  I've had something like 7 lethal hammerings by the time I've got to 220 dwarves.  I guess my police system is pretty harsh, they rarely get imprisoned and usually go straight to hammerings!

And the nobles pick really strange people to blame.  They've blamed a trapper and a milker before  ::)

(I do have guards too, they seem really lazy about chaining up people.  Except that one time they chained up a guy and let him deyhdrate  >:()

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 07:13:07 am »

I just thought of something...

If a dwarf ends up on the justice list, if I recruit him so he armors himself, does that usually prevent instant death from the hammering?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 08:28:44 am »

I've heard that usually works, if the victim has enough time to get it before the hammerer arrives.

I've had random dwarves unrelated to the mandate get punished, I guess they do it out of frustration.

Urist Mcstupidnoble: *fuming over missed mandate*
*random dwarf walks by*
Urist Mcstupidnoble: "HEY YOU! I declare you punished for missing the mandate!"
Urist Mcrandom: "huh?" *gets grabbed by guards* "Hey WTF!?!? I don't even have skills related to the mandate!" *gets clapped in irons*
Pages: 1 [2]