Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mandate...  (Read 1612 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Mandate...
« on: July 06, 2009, 04:35:06 pm »

Okay, so my fortress just grew from 30 to 60 dwarves in one immigration wave. And, the newly appointed mayor just mandated the production of ADAMANTIUM ITEMS.

I'm like, "Oh, balls. I don't even HAVE any adamantine." I'm having trouble feeding and housing everyone as it is.

I instantly resigned myself to the fact that the mandate will NOT be fulfilled, but I'm worried that my brainless mayor will sentence my blacksmith to hammering. (He's not legendary yet, but he's my only decent weapon/armor smith.)

SHOULD I be worried about this? What are some of the punishments you guys have seen for not fulfilling a mandate?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mandate...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 04:39:35 pm »

You don't have a hammerer yet, so don't worry about that.

If you don't ever appoint a sheriff then nothing will happen to the guy who "fails" to fulfill the mandate.

So all you'll have to deal with is a Very Unhappy mayor most likely, which depending on how many friends they have may or may not be a problem.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:43:00 pm »

Okay, I guess I'll just distract him by putting shiny objects in his room.
Thanks for your help.

Red Minjo

• Bay Watcher
  • New head of Grunty Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 04:43:52 pm »

I've seen potentially lethal beatings, jail sentences of 100+ days, and I'm pretty sure hammerings of at least 1 hit just for failed mandates.  I think that the punishments ramp up as more crimes happen though, so it could be cool if you haven't failed many mandates yet. 
Also, they seem to punish randomly from people that have a tiny bit of skill in the related failure, at least in my fortress, so telling a less useful dwarf to build some metal items might lower the chance of something bad happening to your blacksmith.

Edit: Of course, if you don't have any chains or cages assigned to jails or a Fortress/Royal guard/Hammerer, I don't think they can be punished, or at least as easily.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:45:29 pm by Red Minjo »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 04:46:05 pm »

Now would be the ideal time to start building a drowning chamber, if you don't have one already.
If you've got magma, a retracting bridge over it with a nearby lever (restricted so that only your Mayor can pull it) should also do the trick.

[edit] As always, see here for other possibilities.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:48:24 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 04:57:38 pm »

Now would be the ideal time to start building a drowning chamber, if you don't have one already.
If you've got magma, a retracting bridge over it with a nearby lever (restricted so that only your Mayor can pull it) should also do the trick.

[edit] As always, see here for other possibilities.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of the desert, and there is no magma or water.
I'm sure I could invent something else.

The thing is, the guy was one of my original 7 dwarves, and he's friends with at least 3 Legendary Wrestlers... yeah. Things could get ugly fun really fast if all my champions simultaneously started tantruming.

I'll try to keep the moron around for a while longer, but of course, Bad Things tend to happen to nobles who are a bit too annoying.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:45:18 am »

No need to water or magma to dispose them (however, the Fun may vary).

I usually go with something like this:
Code: [Select]

XXXXX
XLDBX
XXXBX
  XBX
  XBX
  XBX
  XBX
  XBD
  XBX
  XXX
X - wall
D - door
L - lever (set Workshop profile to the one dwarf you want to kill)
B - bridge that raises to the south

Order the chosen one to pull the lever, once he's inside lock  both door and have another lever somewhere that lowers the bridge. You can also start with lowered bridge and switch it two times for bonus points. ;)

And it's good to check if that dwarf doesn't carry anything useful with him (woodcutter/hunter).

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 07:09:50 pm »

I just had the same thing happen.  My mayor (who's also one of my original 7 and my only legendary carpenter, or carpenter with ANY skill whatsoever) mandated adamantine items right after I'd appointed a Captain of the Guard.  So there's no offing the mayor.

Perhaps dump/forbid the Hammerer's weapon, that way the 'hammering' is from fists.  Or I'll move the Hammerer's bedroom to the drowning chamber.

Is it possible to undo the justice system?  As in, can I vacate the Captain of the Guard post and the justice system will stop?  I've got some chains assigned to be a jail, but nobody's yet punished the Wood burner for not doing something some years ago.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 07:25:12 pm »

i've never had a bad thing happen from missing the mandates, and never having a police force to enforce them. It's a minor unhappy thought that the dining rooms and gourmet food totally obliterate.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 08:40:39 pm »

A Sheriff/Captain of the Guard is useless to a fortress early on, all they do is lock up useful dwarves to stop a tiny unhappy thought from your mayor. It's when you get the hammerer you want a captain and some metal cages/chains, since even 150 days in a cage is preferable to having your skull caved in by the hammerer.

Justice will activate itself, no need to rush it. The baron brings all sorts of unpleasantness with him, which is good considering that by the time you meet his requirements the fortress will become terribly boring.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 11:08:28 pm »

A Sheriff/Captain of the Guard is useless to a fortress early on, all they do is lock up useful dwarves to stop a tiny unhappy thought from your mayor. It's when you get the hammerer you want a captain and some metal cages/chains, since even 150 days in a cage is preferable to having your skull caved in by the hammerer.

Justice will activate itself, no need to rush it. The baron brings all sorts of unpleasantness with him, which is good considering that by the time you meet his requirements the fortress will become terribly boring.

I didn't bother with a Captain until the Baroness and Hammerer showed up.  Let's hope it's some random person, I wonder who'll get blamed for it, since everyone has some dabbling in one of the metalworking professions.  I hope it's a recent immigrant.

For another suggestion to Ethnar's bridge-smash, why not build a 6/7-story tower with a retractable bridge?  That way, you can keep anything they might have one them.  Although, you'd have to bury the body, instead of it just vanishing.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:11:22 am »

An alternative is to wait until it is time for justice to be dispatched. Find out who the officer handing out the punishment is and try to keep him contained long enough for you to issue your finest armour to the 'criminal'. If he is just being imprisoned then don't bother. A lot of people also confiscate the hammerers hammer using forbid to reduce him to punching his victims (I've never tried this though but I think it works).
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 04:04:06 am »

One thing I've never worked out to my satisfaction is wherther it's better to have cages or chains in the jail.

I know that with chains it's a good idea to set up food & drink stockpiles & a bed within reach of each chain...  to prevent the victim from becoming too depressed/starved/dehydrated.

But with cages?  Do dwarves jailed in cages even need food & water?  Other caged things don't.  Perhaps just cages in a heavily engraved room would be the best choice?

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 06:02:59 am »

On cages vs. chains:

I almost exclusively use cages instead of chains, I guess because I like the idea of my criminals being behind bars (and also because I tend to use my chains in my large cattle ranches).  I seem to recall seeing a Dwarf cancel a water/feeding job several times when I had no injured Dwarves.  So I thought, "Oh.  I guess caring for prisoners is part of caring for the injured!"

... But perhaps I did not look around as I should have.  Maybe I had a soldier with nerve damage I didn't know about.  It was a few fortresses ago, and I don't remember well.

Although now that you've mentioned stockpiles near the chained prisoners, I may start re-thinking my prison levels.  On the other hand, each prisoner's stockpile, to remain full, would likely have to take from a different stockpile.  And that will only work if there's some sort of central food/booze stockpile ringed by chains.
... Hmmm...
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 01:03:01 pm »

To my understanding, you want chains.  Preferably, chains that you've decorated.  Dwarves get a large unhappy thought from being imprisoned.  The idea of giving them a bed, personal food and booze stockpiles, etc, is solely to give them happy thoughts to counter the large unhappy thoughts that got them arrested in the first place and the imprisonment thought.

Cages are bad.  Dwarves in cages DO need food and water.  Dwarves need food/drink no matter water.  Everything else in cages don't need food/drink because they don't need them outside the cage either.  All that stuff that gives happy thoughts to chained prisoners, I don't believe any of that applies to a caged prisoner.

As a general rule based on my understanding, chains are best because you are capable of placing your prisoners in reasonably comfortable circumstances for the time they are imprisoned.
Pages: [1] 2