Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Escape  (Read 920 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Escape
« on: July 06, 2009, 12:14:17 pm »

I just had an image come unbidden to mind that I thought I'd share, here.  Most of it's component parts[1] already feature in suggestions (it seems) but I don't think this unholy union has ever featured...

Consider the scene: Urist McDwarf awakes from slumber to the sound of battle.  Hears the cries of colleagues and the wails of... what?  Goblins, Monsters, something bigger and badder?  But, it does not matter, for the awakening was prompted by the sound of a klaxon.  The klaxon.  All is lost.  When that alarm goes, those who are not already drafted will not be called upon to save anyoen other than themselves.  Quickly checking the bauxite door and examining the bauxite walls, floor and ceiling, Urist heads at last to the bauxite levers.

The first lever shuts the hatches that have been supplying his anteroom's cistern with a constant supply of snow-melt water.  The second lever secures the outer and inner doors to his apartment, after withdrawing the small bridge between them.  The third lever will, after a small delay, sever the support holding the room to the edge of the overhanging cliff cut out to form the main appartment complex's core, underslung by many similarly equipped accomodation units.

Almost immediately after returning to the bed and gripping the edges in well-drilled anticipation, the inevitable sense of weightlessness arrives.  Urist does not pray, for the rationalist within has long since pointed out that the deities concerned already knows one heart and inner nature.  To pray would only spoil the possibly final moments, or else bring upon a wave of wrath for daring to repent a long-spent apathy.  All this and more goes through Urist's mind as the rush of descent sends brain and body on its way.

SPLASH!

Urist is personally unfamilar with the concept of concrete, though would recognise its similarities and differences with some of the rocks encountered over the years since first taking a pick in hands.  If hitting water from a great height can be compared to striking concrete, though, the slight but significant mitigation arising from the room-pod's landing in boiling river of magma probably tips the balance towards survival, in addition to the bed's specially scored legs giving way immediately after.

Crunch!  Oh well, a chamber pot is replacable, if anything is.

And now the magic of enhanced magma-safe materials comes to life, as the cooling cistern collapses and a shallow wave of ice-cool water floods across the underfloor of the room, before venting above.  For a short time, this will keep Urist comfortable.  But with a history in the magma furnaces it should be no hardship.

Gloopily, the room settles higher in the liquid.  The weight of its building materials offset by the density of the magma stream itself, causing it to ride high as it drifts along, driven by the slow but relentless current.  And eventually to reach the secured lower reaches of the magma cavern.  While awaiting the arrival, Urist inspects the integrity of the Escape Pod, and ponders the fate of those whose wooden quarters are set adrift in the rivers.  Lighter, yes, but more unreliable, and that third-placed liquid, water.  Suitable only for invalids, filled with Carp, far less reliable with its constant freezing and evaporating.

With a mumfled 'Clunk!', the drifting motion stops.  A slight wallowing motion remains as Urist considers.  Having lost track of time, during the musings, it doesn't really seem long enough to have made the full journey to the Hot regroup point, but with high Imagination and Intellectual quotients such a time-slip is nothing new.  Here goes, then.  Put on the spare leather armour.  Equip the backpack.  Fill the waterskin with some of the remaining snow-melt supply, and darn to heck the rules regarding flammable alcohol storage in Magma Escape Pods.  And having drunk his last illicit cask two nights beforehand.

Now to break the seals on the upper hatch.  The future awaits.  Urist's skills may now be tested to the limit in the creation of a new Moutainhome over the next few seasons.  Or almost immediately merely in order to survive whatever unknown threat lies in wait outside this refuge.  Can you hear faint tapping?  Pull the final lever and see...

[1] Moving architecture, floating, mega-engineered magmaducts, new migrations, etc, etc...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Escape
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:57:38 pm »

Well, eventually floating (and therefore, currents) will be implemented, and everything you describe will be doable. It's on Toady's list, I'm sure.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 07:18:40 pm »

I thought he was against boats, as such motion doesn't work well with tiles. Also, cave-ins would have to be modified to allow such a structure to fall without falling apart.

If this is just a story, it should go in the DF Community Games & Stories section. If this is supposed to be a ThreeToe-style story/suggestion combo, I don't know where it goes. I put mine here.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 07:54:11 pm »

He's all for boats.  He's just against rotating boats.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:43:11 pm »

He's all for boats.  He's just against rotating boats.

He's not even unconditionally against rotating boats.  He recently discussed boats in another thread -- here's the first of several in-depth posts.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 01:47:13 am »

The magma escape pod is a bit far fetched for my tastes but the key insight in this thread is that of Escape itself.  Currently you can abandon a fort and everyone it it just 'dies' in a sense.  In the event of enemy attack no one can flee from the map, their all stuck their until their slaughtered to the last soul.  The idea of abandoning the fort and fleeing from it as a group of refugees is really a very original idea and it is consistent with a great deal of dwarven lore.

Presumably you could take command of the largest group of refugees in an adventure mode kind of search for a new home.  You would try to link up with other refugees and try to reach a friendly dwarven settlement (which you would just walk into single file with a bunch of blinking X's on yourselves).  Kind of a partial restart using a portion of your old population.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:07:45 am »

What kind of undwarven nonsense is that?

Running away?  PFFFFFFT