130 - 139
- 58 (25.1%)
140 - 149
- 38 (16.5%)
+ 150
- 50 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: IQ of DF gamers?  (Read 19604 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: IQ of DF gamers?
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2009, 08:04:29 pm »

I'm a stay-at-home wife and professional artist. There's no way I'm smarter than her.
Arguable. I guess I'd prefer your life over hers, so maybe you ARE the smarter one  :P

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2009, 01:20:58 am »

I got 134 and I am 20?
I still find it hard to believe I am more intelligent then the average Joe , however I seem to be average for a DF player, so perhaps birds of a feather play DF together.
Thank you based dwarf.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2009, 07:37:49 am »

I have to agree with the many-pages-ago bit on standardized testing being charitably described as 'bunk'. I 'excelled' through school by merely coasting through and bothering to do the work presented to me, be it hard or busy. The only places I didn't get all A's were in math (post-geometry), as that is a discipline I hate with a passion normally reserved for telemarketers and lawyers, and a couple of goofs were I was intentionally lazy. I bring this up because somebody mentioned the woeful tendency to teach towards the lowest common denominator (see: No Child Left Behind) over the past several decades, as I understand it. (My parents were segregated into A / B / C / D classes with different curriculums. Mom was in A class, dad was in D class, and even then I believe the primary thing was an issue of motivation and not raw mental ability.)

Back on the testing thing, the state standardized test was again something I aced, without trying. I distinctly remember doing the exact opposite of most test prep suggestions (stayed up late, overslept, did not eat breakfast) for at least one of the damn things. My mind being what it is, one of my most vivid high school memories is being deeply confused when my Freshman geography teacher winds up in the lunch line beside me and congratulates me on something. When queried, he informed me of my absurdly high scores which I had completely ignored (or not gotten yet, I don't remember.) It was like being congratulated for not sucking. Which I suppose to some extent, it was.

Another vivid memory surrounds the same tests (at a lower grade level) wherein an acquaintance failed one portion of the test or another and broke down on me, which I found very awkward in that I hate being touched and I had no idea what to say. The only way I could fathom at the time to fail the thing was to either intentionally not do it, be extremely sloppy, or be able to lose a contest of wits to a box of rocks. Funnily enough, I don't remember it as having much to do with the test as being the one time I've had someone crying on my shoulder. Go figure.

Anyway, enough of that crap aside - about the IQ test! I apparently scored 134 - this in less-than-ideal conditions such as 'just woke up' and 'felt the sudden need to go to the restroom in the middle of the test'. I also reported my age as 21 because I'll be so in a few days, though I doubt that impacted it much.

Another, actually related tale from high school was in my first Computer Science class (sophomore year of HS if memory serves), we had a day where the assignment was done and we were jerking around on the Internet. This eventually turned into taking Internet IQ tests as a measure of manhood. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I do remember taking great pleasure in my good friend scoring something like a 148, gloating over it and laughing at me for taking so much time (he was always a faster mathmetician than I), and within a few moments I had pressed submit... And had something in the neighborhood of 5 to 10 points over it. He was crushed.

But yeah, enough rambling.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2009, 07:42:49 am »

I got that super cool autism that makes me super bright and super cool. Asperger's to be exact. Yes, I know, I know that you wish you were certified autistic like me, but you're not and I am and I'm super cool and super bright thanks to Aspergers. Oh yeah, only one drawback bros -- I can't talk to girls or look them in the eyes. Weirds me out bros. OK, later super cool super bright bros.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2009, 08:43:05 am »

I hate IQ tests. I could go on a full scale ramble on them if I had time.

Suffice it is to say that the smartest person in the world is apparently the person who made the test.

Pick the one that doesn't fit in.
A. Apple
B. Pineapple
C. Orange
D. Carrot

The right answer? Pineapple, because it has 3 syllables.
Well, my advanced brain says carrot, because carrot doesn't have an e.
Someone else could argue that it's carrot because it's not sweet.
Or apple because there's no such thing as an orange colored apple.

IQ tests are for nerds.

I'm autistic too. bah
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2009, 08:46:38 am »

Id say carrot cause its the only one that you eat the roots of.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2009, 08:54:17 am »

According to that test, 150. (3cubes that is)
According to two credible tests, 144 and 142.(Real life)
Sig to be updated momentarily.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2009, 08:59:13 am »

I voted 138, scored 140 on the OP's test, and generally score 99% on standardized tests that don't involve Literature(where my score drops to 97%).  I also have about a 2.5 GPA.(that's "barely passing," for those of you too lazy to think about it.)

Yesterdy, my mom suggested I should take an IQ test to quantify exactly how smart I am.  The last official one I took was about 15 years ago, I pegged it, and being smarter than everyone else just made them hate me.  I'd prefer not to know, and have all of my friends admire me for being smart than hate me for knowing I'm smarter than them.

I've never trusted standardized tests for measuring intelligence . . . not since I was little anyway. You see, my older sister is the smartest person I know. She read the complete works of Shakespeare by the age of 12, got straight A's all throughout her school career (and her school career included such topics as Astrophysics, Biochemistry, and Molecular Virology at the most advanced prep school in our state), and found a vaccine for a virus that causes cancer in chickens as her high school project. Not to mention that she recently graduated magna cum laude with a dual degree in Biology and Chemistry and is currently working with autistic children in helping them communicate with the outside world. (One of her charges began to speak for the first time in his entire life under her care.)

And I have always, always scored higher than her on standardized tests. Not by a small margin either.

The fact of the matter is that I'm not nearly as smart as she is, nor do I have the excellent track record she has for accomplishments. I've never read the complete works of Shakespeare. I almost flunked out of AP Biology, and my school project wasn't a practical application of science. I'm a stay-at-home wife and professional artist. There's no way I'm smarter than her. So if the standardized tests say that I'm smarter then they're wrong.

*gets off the soapbox* :D

EDIT: Though I would like to make it clear that I don't begrudge anybody a feeling of pride for having scored well or taken the test or anything. Whatever makes you feel smart/happy is a good thing! I just don't trust standardized tests.
You are not your sister.  Don't compare yourself to what she's good at.  You're good at different things.

To be fair, I wouldn't have guessed Areyar wasn't native to english- you're certainly better in text than most of the people on popular forums.
Most non-native English speakers are.  They take more care with what they type than native speakers do, because they had to work to learn it, and don't take it for granted like Squeakers do.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2009, 09:09:34 am »

I got that super cool autism that makes me super bright and super cool. Asperger's to be exact. Yes, I know, I know that you wish you were certified autistic like me, but you're not and I am and I'm super cool and super bright thanks to Aspergers. Oh yeah, only one drawback bros -- I can't talk to girls or look them in the eyes. Weirds me out bros. OK, later super cool super bright bros.

I've heard of that.  Makes you real smart, right?  *starts grinning

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2009, 09:16:12 am »

I'm a stay-at-home wife and professional artist. There's no way I'm smarter than her.
Arguable. I guess I'd prefer your life over hers, so maybe you ARE the smarter one  :P

You are not your sister.  Don't compare yourself to what she's good at.  You're good at different things.

That would be true if she hated her life, but luckily she doesn't. :D

Okay, I'm just being difficult now.

I get what you're saying (both of you), in that there's an inherent cultural bias on what we consider to be genius/excellence based almost solely on whether people are working in careers that are seen as "good" or "beneficial" or "hard." Scientist working with autistic kids? Totally hard mode. Stay-at-home wife (soon to be mother!) who doodles and does fractals all day? Totally not.

I just really don't know how else to explain how much smarter than me she is than reciting things which are seen to have an inherent cultural value. Of course, you could then make the argument that I'm basing my evaluation of her intelligence on these culturally biased things, in which case I don't know how to respond to that and will just shrug my shoulders. :D To me it's a question that doesn't really have any meaning except to explain why I hate standardized tests. I'm happy with my life, she's happy with hers, we get along great, and I'm proud to death of everything that she's accomplished. I love to hear her talk about her work, and she loves that I am giving her a niece or nephew soon. I also feel like she's smarter than me, but that feeling doesn't cause me any angst or unhappiness; it's just a statement of fact. I guess it must sound really self-deprecating and negative, but to me it isn't.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, thank you for your concern over my self-esteem, but no worry needed! :D

Pick the one that doesn't fit in.
A. Apple
B. Pineapple
C. Orange
D. Carrot

Well, my advanced brain says carrot, because carrot doesn't have an e.
Someone else could argue that it's carrot because it's not sweet.
Or apple because there's no such thing as an orange colored apple.

My answer to that would be carrot because it's a vegetable and the others are fruits. But the point still stands: all the answers given here are valid, so the question needs to be rewritten or discarded. Incidentally, this is why IQ tests are given in supervised environments. Your reactions to questions like this are much more indicative of intelligence than happening to pick the right answer because you think the same way that the test writer does. In an actual IQ test, you'd be monitored and reactions such as this would be taken into the final score if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:20:14 am by Ohaeri »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2009, 09:23:33 am »

I picked them at random, giving me a score of 123.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2009, 09:25:42 am »

I picked them at random, giving me a score of 123.

That's explains everything!   ;D  It must mean that if you pick at random on a test you get a higher score then the average joe (who most likely picked wrong answers on purpose to support this theory).

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2009, 09:41:39 am »

I just really don't know how else to explain how much smarter than me she is than reciting things which are seen to have an inherent cultural value.

Please bear with me a bit, I've been watching The Big Bang Theory lately.(hilarious!)

Anyone who's seen the series knows, Sheldon and Leonard are a pair of PhDs working in a physics lab, and a pretty farm-girl moves in across the hall.(and if you haven't seen the show, there's your premise.)  In the pilot episode, Sheldon mentions that he and Leonard have a combined IQ over 360, and Sheldon is the smarter of the two.  And Sheldon is arguably "smarter" in the "inherent cultural value" you're talking about.

But anybody who's watched the show also knows that Sheldon is a complete and utter moron.  He can calculate dozens of dimensions in his head and is obsessed with String theory, is basically given to be the brainiest character on the show, but he has no social skills whatsoever, and if given a task which doesn't involve theoretical physics, he chokes.(He's also violently OCD and a spineless mamma's boy, to boot.)

Penny, the attractive neighbor, is actually top-tier intelligence for the show.  Most of what the "genius" characters say goes whizzing right over her head, but she handles it just fine, often talks it down to normal-speak on her own, and more importantly, is fairly well-adjusted.  "Oh, why didn't you just get a universal remote at Radio Shack?"

"Hey look, it's raining you!"

Or without the pop culture references, who's smarter: the graduate student still living in his parents' basement, or the high-school drop-out five-star chef who never needs a recipe?

Answer: neither.  They're both geniuses, just in different fields.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:50:34 am by Volfram »
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2009, 09:51:29 am »

I just really don't know how else to explain how much smarter than me she is than reciting things which are seen to have an inherent cultural value.

Please bear with me a bit, I've been watching The Big Bang Theory lately.(hilarious!)

Anyone who's seen the series knows, Sheldon and Leonard are a pair of PhDs working in a physics lab, and a pretty farm-girl moves in across the hall.(and if you haven't seen the show, there's your premise.)  In the pilot episode, Sheldon mentions that he and Leonard have a combined IQ over 360, and Sheldon is the smarter of the two.  And Sheldon is arguably "smarter" in the "inherent cultural value" you're talking about.

But anybody who's watched the show also knows that Sheldon is a complete and utter moron.  He can calculate dozens of dimensions in his head and is obsessed with String theory, is basically given to be the brainiest character on the show, but he has no social skills whatsoever, and if given a task which doesn't involve theoretical physics, he chokes.(He's also violently OCD and a spineless mamma's boy, to boot.)

Penny, the attractive neighbor, is actually top-tier intelligence for the show.  Most of what the "genius" characters say goes whizzing right over her head, but she handles it just fine, often talks it down to normal-speak on her own, and more importantly, is fairly well-adjusted.  "Oh, why didn't you just get a universal remote at Radio Shack?"

"Hey look, it's raining you!"

Seen the show (entirely thanks to my sister, actually), so I get what you're talking about. :D I'd argue that the show has characters that seem to have inversely proportional IQs to Emotional IQs. Seems like in the show the higher your EIQ is, the lower your IQ is, and vice-versa.

I haven't seen much of the show though. I think I've seen up to the episode where they sneak into Penny's room and clean it while she's sleeping. :D

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2009, 09:55:36 am »

I hate IQ tests. I could go on a full scale ramble on them if I had time.

Yeah, this was about the time I gave up on standardized tests.  I believe in intelligence, just not in tests to measure it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14