130 - 139
- 58 (25.1%)
140 - 149
- 38 (16.5%)
+ 150
- 50 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: IQ of DF gamers?  (Read 19579 times)

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
Re: IQ of DF gamers?
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2009, 09:55:56 am »

I'm rambling, ignore me.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:42:46 am by SniHjen »
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2009, 10:11:44 am »

Dear reader, if you are offended here, then it was on purpose.

Please no trolling, I'm really enjoying this thread. :( Please?

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2009, 10:19:31 am »

It was not ment as trolling, but more of: "I am taking the time to make it sound nicer, if it sounds like I offends you, then thats my fault, (and yours too)"

as in: please be aware that I might/might-not-be saying hurtful things, please do not take them personal.

I suck at explaining.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2009, 10:21:22 am »

By abuse of my skills as a former starcraft player, software cookies and previous knowledge of the questions, i managed to glitch one timed test into awarding me a 250.

For the poll i picked 142, which is the highest i ever got on a test that didn't involve adds for naked ladies or "free" mortgages in the sidebar.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2009, 10:30:41 am »

I would say that apple pineapple and orange all grow on trees.
They don't.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2009, 10:34:34 am »

It was not ment as trolling, but more of: "I am taking the time to make it sound nicer, if it sounds like I offends you, then thats my fault, (and yours too)"

as in: please be aware that I might/might-not-be saying hurtful things, please do not take them personal.

I suck at explaining.

I feel like I can't answer your post because I fail at not being offended by it. I like to avoid arguments so, this is probably where I check out of the thread.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2009, 10:42:08 am »

ok if we are going to talk about questions that are flawed but are in tests:
what is hotter, boiling water, or steam?

talk it over and i'll give you the answer in a day.

Anonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2009, 10:46:23 am »

From what I've seen in my time on the Internets, you can post this same poll on any forum and get the same results.

I don't really have the patience to do the math, but I'll bet if you looked at the number of people in this thread who have received genius level scores compared to the number of people who have been online since it was posted, you'd see a percentage of geniuses far above the statistical norm. Which would be fine, except you'd see the same thing on any forum. So maybe people who post on internet forums are more intelligent than average? LOL, I think we all know that's not true. The only other explanation as far as I can tell (and I'm a genius obv), is that the test is flawed.

I did some playing around with the 3cubes test, and it seems that the worst possible score you can get is a 90. How does it make sense that you can only score as low as the 25% percentile, but you can score as high as the 99.9xxx percentile? I'll admit that I don't have the first clue as to how these tests actually work, but that seems odd to me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2009, 11:34:59 am »

Well, um, isn't boiling water steam?  When water boils it evaporates into steam.

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2009, 11:49:38 am »

Here's a good, reliable intelligence test:

If you believe what an internet site tells you about your IQ, you're not intelligent (but not dumb either).
If you actually buy their certificate, you're dumb.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2009, 01:13:52 pm »

Well, um, isn't boiling water steam?  When water boils it evaporates into steam.

depends on what the air pressure is (water boils at different temperatures at altitude), what the purity of the water is(Salt = less boil).  In general though, changing states takes energy, so the boiling water will be hotter and releasing energy by going up a state into steam.  On the other hand, steam can get hotter yet, while boiling water is as hot as it gets.

Like most questions, it's bullshit.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2009, 02:12:14 pm »

I think it depends on which one is hotter.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2009, 03:26:31 pm »

Actualy i abandoned these test when i saw thet most questions are grammatical ( i am not english, and i migth not have too much IQ cause i don't find on those pages how to change to hungarian ...) or flawed (honestly they just don't think on all possibilities so many answers can be rigth ...)
so maybe i will just chose -80 (it could be funny to have negative IQ-s like op suggested in his poll) to say i don't really belive in such things as IQ (really astrology is much more reliable then those questions ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2009, 03:36:52 pm »

One good reason why people are getting high on IQ tests is because the school system has been restructured specifically to allow students to score high on IQ tests. (Thanks IQ tests...

Mind you Internet IQ tests are structured around making you feel good about yourself while not allowing you to get a score high enough to seriously doubt your results. I've specifically aced some Internet IQ tests and found that they stop at the 130-140 range. Afterall, you wouldn't like an IQ test that says your average, no you want one that says your much smarter then everyone else.

MANY of the questions I seen on IQ tests were copy and paste from actual school work I have done in elementary. A^2+B^2=C^2

I've taken Non-IQ tests outside the internet before... but I can't actually translate it into an IQ. For example I have WAY below average number short term memorisation but amazing cause and effect logic.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »

Seen the show (entirely thanks to my sister, actually), so I get what you're talking about. :D I'd argue that the show has characters that seem to have inversely proportional IQs to Emotional IQs. Seems like in the show the higher your EIQ is, the lower your IQ is, and vice-versa.

For a very, very narrow definition of IQ (focusing around math/science/etc. aptitude, which that show seems to focus on from your descriptions), I've found that to be true in real life as well: people very far off in that kind of intelligence tend to have trouble relating to people who can't make the same kinds of mental leaps that they can, and (in some cases, particularly around aspergers/autism) have trouble understanding that other people don't think in the same terms, or at the same levels, that they do. Thus, low EIQ.

IQ was originally to measure logic and pattern recognition. Used for that, it does a fairly good job. I've taken professional "IQ" tests that had several different sections that tried to measure different areas, and I can see those being reasonably valid as well. Of course, the tests were three hours or so with a trained observer taking notes, not multiple-choice tests on the internet. No multiple choice at all, if I remember correctly, and no math/grammar/general knowledge questions either.

That said, the idea of IQ, EIQ, etc. are kind of bogus. I'm a programmer, good at math and logic. My brother is poor at math, excellent at linguistics and music. How can you even compare those two skill sets and their underlying natural aptitude? Some people are good at thinking about certain kinds of problems (how to make a program to do X), some people are good at thinking about other kinds of problems (what notes will sound good together?), nobody short of brain damage/development issues is bad at thinking about all kinds of problems, and it's all modified by mood, persistence, focus, competing interests, and outside stimuli. Trying to generate a single number to encompass all of that is not only pointless, but misleading.

And that said, and not to derail the thread, but I wonder how many DF players are (officially | self-diagnosed) out in the abnormal range of the autism spectrum?
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14