Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: How have your dwarves surprised you today?  (Read 37759 times)

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
Re: How have your dwarves surprised you today?
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2009, 09:57:03 pm »

My miner, who is apparently superdwarf, flew three z-levels UP in a cave-in. He landed and broke his leg, but why did he go up? I was just a one z-level drop, too.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2009, 10:45:06 pm »

Once again, not my dwarves that surprised me but a goblin.  Goblin sniper, that is.  I had three marks-dwarves up in a short tower.  From 20 tiles away, the goblin shot directly through the fortifications and killed two of my marks-dwarves dead before they could even react.  I'm stumped as to how to build a defense against such an enemy. 

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2009, 09:26:28 pm »

You need to find that goblin in Adventure Mode, tear out his eyes, break his legs, and throw him on top of a tree.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2009, 10:01:07 pm »

was working on an obsidian factory, misread and only had 2 levels (hot magma level and cold water level above it, no inner channeling level between them) after realising why my factory only worked once (I dug out the obsidian rather than channel it.) I set out to retfit the factory to function properly.

One of these task involved the moving of some pumps. So I'm removing the blocks and stuff where my old pumps are, and there is one floor  that is dangling out over the small channel I put in to supply the pumps with water (the water being diverted from a nearby river) So I get this message that a part of the cavern has collapsed, I zip over to the site and I find not 1 but 3 dwarves in the drink. The tax collector, a miner, and a furnace operator.

Now I'm thinking, "well crap there goes some exprienced dwarves... oh yeah and I'm losing my tax collector..." when the miner and the furnace operator swim over to a nearby ramp that had been put in when I was channeling out the redirect for the river, and they climb out okay.

So it wasn't a total disaster.

Edit: the reason this is so surprising is up until now none of my dwarves have been in any kind of water that one would think they could learn swiming from.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2009, 02:21:13 pm »

Today I learned that dwarves consider large gems as "finished goods". This means the jewelers took the large gems and encrusted them with more, smaller gems.

Needless to say, they are horrifically valuable and worthy of the dwarfiest of nobles.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2009, 04:26:06 pm »

I designated a dumping zone near a chanel that was about to be filled with magma and my dwarves deside to just dump all the designated stone in to the hole.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2009, 05:08:47 pm »

I was having a floor built over a fish infested river when I saw some blood and think oh well another dwarf dead but when I zoom in on the dwarf she's unhurt! how odd I thought so looking around making sure no ones drowning I notice that the dwarf has a baby so I zoom in on it and low and behold on unconsouise badly hurt baby!

baby's, not just a shield but a fish shield as well!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2009, 01:33:12 am »

My miner, who is apparently superdwarf, flew three z-levels UP in a cave-in. He landed and broke his leg, but why did he go up? I was just a one z-level drop, too.

Conclusion: Dwarves are rather bouncy.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2009, 02:52:08 pm »

Today, I found this off a goblin ambusher.

Goblins not only were able to kill batman, but they skinned him and made pants out of him.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:53:50 pm by Hortun »

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2009, 01:16:40 am »

Today, I found this off a goblin ambusher.

Goblins not only were able to kill batman, but they skinned him and made pants out of him.

I almost HOPE that's the case. I mean, I wouldn't put it past them to strip him and prance about with his clothes.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2009, 04:37:20 am »

I just had a siege, with a group of hammergoblins and wrestlers attacking my forge and magma pump. I sent my two teams of champion wrestle soldiers to deal with them. The first two to arrive managed to get behind the goblins and rip them to shreds with their copper training swords. I couldn't work out why the siege wasn't lifted, so I checked the list to see a crapton more goblins, with bows, attacking from the other side of my fort.

Dang. I don't want to risk getting my champions killed by arrow fire, so I send in the team of rookie marksdwarves to try to thin them out. They get brutally mown down. Bugger. Last recourse, to save the fortress, is to send my champions in.

The champions proceed to CIRCLE STRAFE the goblins. They don't run in close - just close enough for the goblins to start shooting. Then they run parallel to them, dodging the hail of arrows. The gobs run out of ammo and start running, then the champions absolutely lay into them - chase them down and stab them in the backs.

That just dropped my jaw. The little guys are smart enough to dodge the goblins till they're out of ammo! That's amazing! I wonder if that's all the wrestler training, or something.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2009, 06:21:22 am »

Wow, good tactics. If only all the dwarves are so smart.

Mogul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2009, 08:01:35 am »

So I just got seiged by Orcs. It's a big siege with lots of bowmen, so I order everyone inside and prepare to my champions to jump them in the entrance corridor after the traps soften them up.

However, 2 of my champions decide they want to be heroes, and charge out into the orcs as they easilly finish off the caravan guards. One quickly gets his hand mangled by a stray arrow, and realizing his folly flees for his life.

The other champion is made of sterner stuff. He quickly goes into a battle trance and charges into the swarm, a massive cluster consisting of 27 armed orcs and 2 local leaders, one a hammerlord, the other a pikemaster, while under a hail of arrows from 8 bowmen and an elite sniper. He maims about 1/3 of them, and starts retreating after a minor knee injury.

Wondering how he could possibly have survived all of that, I checked his inventory only to find this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2009, 08:26:44 am »

That's a big swarm of flies there.

Also, since that's the Mayday graphics mod, where did you get the orc graphics?

Maybe the iron shield is one that he wrestled off of one of the orcs?

Oh yea, only champions will use artifacts, but yea it's wierd that he is holding three items in one hand.

Mogul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2009, 08:51:32 am »

That's a big swarm of flies there.

Also, since that's the Mayday graphics mod, where did you get the orc graphics?

Maybe the iron shield is one that he wrestled off of one of the orcs?

Oh yea, only champions will use artifacts, but yea it's wierd that he is holding three items in one hand.

Yeah I modded flies so that I could kill the ones hanging around in my fort, and it resulted in them generating massive swarms near all the murky pools. Thankfully none of them come inside, so it's a success in my eyes.

The orc graphics are a simple conversion I did myself, using the elite goblins from mayday as a base, and bulking them out and giving them the coloured shoulder pads. Normal Orcs have gold, Elite Orcs have red. I could upload them if you'd like.

It's very possible, since the () indicates it wasn't made by my smiths, but I did loot a big pile of shields from the previous goblin siege, so I can't be sure. He's also wearing a silk mitten and a carp leather glove on his right hand as well.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:54:09 am by Mogul »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13