Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: How have your dwarves surprised you today?  (Read 37761 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How have your dwarves surprised you today?
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2009, 09:30:21 pm »

Embarked on a haunted mountain infested with zombie mountain goats. So as I'm emptying my wagon, the goats get a little too close and I decide to take care of them. I draft all six of my miners (for carving out the early fort I have all my dwarves mine) and send them after the goats.

End result - six mining picks stuck in the mountain goats. One of the goats is killed, but now my dwarves don't have the brains to try to regain possession of their weapons, they just sit there wrestling a zombie. Hopefully some day Toady will fix combat AI to be marginally intelligent.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2009, 01:58:35 am »

Piercing weapons vs undead = foolishness
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2009, 12:57:29 am »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but after a recent siege I wound up with a bolt sitting on top of a tree.  The tree was in the inner bend of an L shaped bend in the wall, and goblins were shooting at dwarfs on the top of the construction.  I wound up with an arrow sitting on "open space" one z-level above the tree.  Now if only we had frisbees, this game would be perfectly true to life.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2009, 04:59:45 am »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but after a recent siege I wound up with a bolt sitting on top of a tree.  The tree was in the inner bend of an L shaped bend in the wall, and goblins were shooting at dwarfs on the top of the construction.  I wound up with an arrow sitting on "open space" one z-level above the tree.  Now if only we had frisbees, this game would be perfectly true to life.

Kites!

Yrs,
Charlie Brown.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2009, 03:54:06 pm »

Piercing weapons vs undead = foolishness

I've done it before. I'm mostly amazed at my dwarves managing to stick all 6 picks in the goats and not having the AI to realize that the only way they're going to kill them is to pull the picks out of the goats and try again.

In retrospect, I should have just trained the dogs with my remaining dwarf and had them kill the goats. Oh well.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2009, 07:51:05 pm »

I just started a new fortress using the Dig Deeper mod.  My plan for this fortress is to use magma for defense - trigger plate activated pumps to fling magma at enemies, retracting trapdoors over magma baths, and eventually some kind of flood the world with magma doomsday device.

While checking the engravings my engravers are putting down in the dining room, I see repeated renditions of "a image of a charred goblin corpse".  Apparently that's the symbol of my civilization.  Awesome.  Couldn't have planned that better if I'd picked it on purpose.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2009, 10:59:06 am »

While checking the engravings my engravers are putting down in the dining room, I see repeated renditions of "a image of a charred goblin corpse".  Apparently that's the symbol of my civilization.  Awesome.  Couldn't have planned that better if I'd picked it on purpose.

If you've killed lots of goblins with magma already, that might just be renditions of individual goblins dying hilariously horribly.  Whatever the case, though, your dwarves have an excellent aesthetic sense.  ;D
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2009, 12:14:57 pm »

One of the fey children went insane (Needed Glass ), he actually tore up a recruit UNSCATHED before getting shot down.

Soon after, a failed mandate kills off another dorf, one of my masons (for a bismuth bronze item FFS).

It turned out that those two dwarves were the kids of two champion marksdwarves. Mom went emo and jumped into a lake, dad was munching cold mushrooms in the mess hall; and who else would come in AT THAT EXACT MOMENT but that magnificent bastard that ordered the mandate.

Dad goes off the deep end and shoots his entire quiver of copper bolts into the guy IN SECONDS, who somehow is still able to crawl out of the mess hall. At that moment, a few more marksdorfs come in, and in a fit of loyalist rage, start firing at him. Dad manages to run up to the fallen noble, and bashes his face in so hard, that he flies 6 tiles into a wall and EXPLODES. He then gets swiss cheesed by the rest of the squadron.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2009, 12:19:13 pm »

My handful of champions were taking on a goblin siege party.  They tend to send enemies flying away.  After smacking a few around (or off into the distance) the goblins panicked and started to retreat.  The dwarfs busied themselves with the wounded left behind, but one particularly zealous dwarf picked up one of the injured goblins and hurled it at one of the fleeing goblins, knocking it over and stunning it for a second.  Which was long enough for the dwarfs to catch up and hack it to pieces.

Okay, so the dwarf didn't really pick up and aim the goblin, it just knocked it back into another one.  But still, seeing for the first time a flying goblin stun its mate is all :D.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2009, 01:34:19 pm »

(for a bismuth bronze item FFS).
Cool story. Handy tip though: smelting bars of (mandatemetal) count for mandates, so you can get double your noble mileage if you hold off on certain metals 'til your Royal Highnesses decide they want some of their favorite alloy.

Then again, sometimes you just get that Adamantine Baron (my 'ery first) Him, you give the lever t'pull.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2009, 03:46:03 pm »

I have a jailed metalsmith who must have been neglected for a while, and seems to have decided to demonstrate his misery by becoming hungry and dehydrated (despite the booze next to him). He's currently hunting for small creatures in his cell.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2009, 09:09:19 pm »

I hadn't encountred the 'unconscious dwarf = immortal' bug until this troll decided to take an unskilled guy by the throat.

IT's been three six nine months. He's still unconscious(and ecstatic !?) The troll is o'erexerted most of the time.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:31:51 pm by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2009, 01:42:31 am »

Then again, sometimes you just get that Adamantine Baron (my 'ery first) Him, you give the lever t'pull.

Wait what.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2009, 01:58:47 am »

Wait what.
Hey now y'missed one 'lynndar ::)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2009, 09:49:25 am »

How come you keep doing the comma in place of a v? Just wondering.

You also missed one v yourself. :)

To stay on topic:

In my current fortress some while ago, I was using some hauler dwarf to channel away the last tile to collapse a floor section, he managed to escape (he simply got pushed away from the hole as there was a wide passageway), while that is not unusual in itself, I had the same one do it a second time. This time it was collapsing a 1x1 slab of rock and he was standing in a 5X5 chamber with the 3x3 portion channeled out. I wasn't expecting him to live, but he somehow landed on the edge just below and didn't get sucked in. Pretty damn lucky.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13