Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: How have your dwarves surprised you today?  (Read 37735 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How have your dwarves surprised you today?
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:08 am »

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I am interested in using the Mayday graphics mod with Dig Deeper, but I'm trying to get a few questions answered first :P

I may or may not remove the orcs from Dig Deeper when I get it and merge it with Maydays graphics pack.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2009, 11:24:03 am »

I'm playing the dark dwarves mod, and I was under siege by the dwarves. Now there's a bug where the dwarves will arrive mounted on horses who are terrified of combat, so it's more of a massacre than a battle (not that it would matter, my soldiers are multi-legendary, the dwarves running is just a nuisance). My dark hammerdwarves have this crazy tendency to smack enemies very hard... at each other. I've seen my dark dwarves knocked over several times by a flying dwarf or horse corpse. I figure they're probably playing an improvised version of dark dwarf tennis. Kind of a shame they can't do that actually, it'd be really funny to watch hammerdwarves smacking around a guy who isn't quite dead yet because his mangled corpse hasn't landed.

One of them also smacked a dwarf so hard he exploded into all of his component body parts, down to the fingers and toes. They did the same thing to a horse, exploded down to his tail. If the map wasn't so heavily forested they might catch Morul's record.

Edit:just saw one dark dwarf knock a horse into the rest of his platoon. That gives me an idea for my next megaproject - dwarf bowling.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:26:45 am by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2009, 09:38:32 pm »

Because I felt like being a total jerk, I embarked on a map with HFS (using Play Now! settings) and promptly dug to it. Drafted everyone, and had them wait for demons to came out.

Spirits of fire.

My woodcutter actually took one down before dying horribly.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2009, 02:24:37 am »

That's a big swarm of flies there.

Also, since that's the Mayday graphics mod, where did you get the orc graphics?

Maybe the iron shield is one that he wrestled off of one of the orcs?

Oh yea, only champions will use artifacts, but yea it's wierd that he is holding three items in one hand.

Yeah I modded flies so that I could kill the ones hanging around in my fort, and it resulted in them generating massive swarms near all the murky pools. Thankfully none of them come inside, so it's a success in my eyes.
If I understand what the wiki says about tags correctly, they didn't actually get generated. Rather, the engine has now decided they are significant enough that it will render them with smaller densities. Normally, flies are only drawn if there are a lot of them in the area.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2009, 06:11:56 pm »

They accidentally made a tower cap farm!

So I had an underground pool, teeming with olmmen and lizardmen and all that. On the bottom level it was only two tiles wide. I wanted to empty it out to air-drown any of the nasties I could (I didn't realize they would breath air as well. Oh well.), so I dug a cistern under it. The cistern had two levels, the bottom level was completely hollow, but the second level had only every other row channeled out. I didn't need to whole thing and I didn't want to spend too much time on it. So I uncorked the bottom level, let it all flow through the channels and into the cistern. Now, about a half season later the flow has settled out, and there's muddy young towercaps springing up.

Course, all the pool nasties are still mucking around in the mud two levels up, but I think I'll use it as a live archery range.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2009, 08:34:03 pm »

I have a badass woodcutter/administrator/animal trainer/mayor dwarf. He has deforested the most plant filled area I've seen yet several times. On his latest trip one of his three war dogs is ambushed by a goblin squad. I promptly draft him and send him running to save his dog. Note that he is only carrying his steel battleax that he had while chopping wood. On the way to save his dog he himself is ambushed. He outruns this ambush and makes it halfway to the first group before his dog dies and they turn to him. They manage to hit him exactly at the same time from both directions, and I'm worried as he has no armor or shield. Then he goes into a martial trance and within about two seconds they're all dead. It was totally sweet, I guess you had to be there. The flying limbs and goblins soaring through the air was neat. My 7x7 outdoor refuse pile was entirely filled by severed limbs and heads.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2009, 07:50:28 am »

I'm playing a succession game and just got some nobles.  I send our engraver, Dusty, to go engrave the rooms so they will be high enough quality for my nobles.  What do I see?  Engraving of flies. The Count absolutely detests flies.  I had a good laugh about that one because those are the only engravings of them I saw in the whole fort.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2009, 11:39:08 pm »

If you get a migrant wave of only one dwarf, it says "a" instead of "some" in the migrant message. Never actually saw that before...
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 03, 2009, 04:04:34 pm »

a philosopher has arrived. In her personality...she "regards intellectual exercises as a waste of energy".
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2009, 04:15:48 pm »

My dwarves actually handled an emergency, without casualties, while I was away from the computer. I've been having magma man problems, some times I still got to go to the vent to make channels and activate my various magma powered thingies... so I have to open my triple rienforced/trapped/major death hall into the magma vent and send a miner through. Now all my miners have wardogs, just in case. Lost a wardog (doesn't count as a casualty in a fort where I'm more worried about a dognarok than a catocolypse) but my fortress guard somehow managed to kill it...without dieing, I have no freaking idea how... since they're all wrestlers... they should be on fire and dead, but they ain't... bug?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2009, 04:25:03 pm »

Aside from a few specific situations, temperature doesn't convect very well in DF.

If the wrestlers were on the same tile as the magma man long enough, they might have caught fire, but apparently there were enough of them to take it down before that happened.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2009, 04:31:37 pm »

Well the fortress guard has 12 or so dwarves, almost all wrestlers... and 7 of them champions... so yeah... probably right.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2009, 08:16:58 pm »

Two things.

1. Just had an orc siege. One of the dwarves is now carrying around a mangled baby. I'm surprised the kid survived, the baby was mangled from combat with an orc spearmaster, I'm amazed it was only the child's leg that was damaged.

2. I mod my dwarves weapons to do 1 damage for sparring purposes. I forgot to unmod when the orcs came. Granted my marksdwarves killed probably 15-20 of the orcs, but most of that killing was done with 1 damage hammers. That is pretty damn impressive in my book.\

Edit: I now have two children in beds recovering from pre-childhood maimings. They have 10 more years to recover from the wounds.

Oh god, there are two dwarves in my fortress who have never tasted alcohol! The horror!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:43:35 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2009, 08:38:48 pm »

that kid is going into the military. there just isnt any other option..

speaking of military some goblins (and a human crosbowman) found out that you dont wake Ochal when he's sleeping.

Ochal was an elite marksdwarf i had guarding a weak point in my defenses while my civilians worked. well a goblin siege appeared and I did my usual, everybody in, lock the back doors, and ready defenses at my main entrance.

that wasn't what Ochul had in mind, he was blissfully snoozing away at his post, unaware of the encroaching goblin army. Well not wanting to loose a highly trained dwarf, I decide to abandon my front posistion and send all of my marksdwarves at the army. Sure they're on open ground, but most of them are elite, and I reckoned the first salvo of bolts would send them running.

course in typical dwarven fashion they took their sweet ass time getting there.

So Ochal is laying there probably dreaming of Urist McBarmaid with two kegs of ale, when he gets a bolt to the arm. Its a minor injury but it wakes him up, where he proceeds to mow a nearby goblin down with his crossbow, then proceeded to chase the human crossbowman down and beat him to death with the butt of his crossbow.

the rest of the goblin siege saw this, and promptly hauled ass the other direction.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:55:42 am by SquirrelWizard »
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2009, 10:28:21 am »

Some more Dwarf vs Goblin comedy: :)

In my current game, I think I went at almost a year (the norm is about two or three sets per year) without ambushes and I know it wasn't pathing issues because I had my dwarves outside working on my outer walls and stuff when three (I think, could have been 2 1/2) ambushes popped up right about the time the caravan came, one on the west area, another which hit my cage traps at the only crossing point over the brook turned stream and another to the east. A couple dwarves and a bunch of animal. Actually, there was a part of the ambush on the caravan, but they took care of that easy.

There was some funny moments though when my mayor kept running around and the goblin liason (yes you heard me right, goblin) kept following (both somehow escaped injury) with the bowgobs chasing and firing away and then chasing after they ran out of arrows/bolts. The funny part was when I activated my mayor to make her get inside, she chased those gobs.

Its like the bowgobs were like "KILL THE DWARF!" and then when she went at them "ACK! DWARF IS ATTACKING, RUN!". Neither the target nor the goblins got killed. It was more comedic than anything.

BTW, the goblin Liason is from a goblin civ that got defeated early on, but it was more of an assimilation rather than destruction. She was alive at the time of the conquest I think, although she may have been wandering the wilds at the time. I checked worldgen info and the two goblin towers involved still have large goblin populations, actually, one has just goblins, the other has a mix of dwarves and goblins plus a few goblins scattered among the mountainhomes. I guess there were alot of noncombatants.

Also, the king of this civ is still around and I'm at war with that guy, he is the only unit for that civ. I guess there are still a few loyal to that civ.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13