Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: How have your dwarves surprised you today?  (Read 37755 times)

Dameleth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How have your dwarves surprised you today?
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2009, 01:34:37 pm »

A dragon decided to invade my map. I had increased the beasties to size 50 too! Well here he comes charging and completly obliterates my military... ookay >.> I have liiike 30 spears in my stockpiles and a mass of pesants. =D Equipped and they all charrrged! All of them hopping all over this dragon and doing nothinnng to it... Suddenly a blast of flame and all my peasants are now flaming, some go running others stay attached to this dragon now in a pesant bonfire of it's own making! All the peasants died but somehow their pileup combusted the dragon too. Who flaming steps out of the now pile of ashes and takes a few steps and died purely of burn damage. Course my luck! Game crashes >.> .... have to do it again! This time my hammerdwarf just runs at the giant dragon and knocks it's skull out of it's head in a single blow. @_@

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2009, 02:34:02 pm »

I had a perfectly happy and content dwarf walk underwater 20+ tiles before drowning while a valid and working ramp was directly behind him 1 tile away.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2009, 06:09:08 pm »

Your learn something new every day...  I sort of gave up on cross-Z designation when I realsied that one couldn't start-designate an up/down stairwell on one Z, move +10Z (or so) and end-designate, but had to "start-select,end-select,Z-move" multiple times.
Handy Trick: select up-down stairwell, move mouse to where you want it. Hold left mouse button and your z-up (or down) key, and it'll designate. (Some dN versions don't allow this, but works in 40d)
Other option: MACROS! New functionality = yay.

And yes, superfireimmune infamously does not grant fireimmune (though the critters THINK it does)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2009, 06:39:19 pm »

When do they think they're NOT fireimmune?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2009, 06:41:37 pm »

...good point XD
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2009, 01:27:23 am »

So I've got this awesome site with a volcano at the mouth of a valley under an elevated brook.  Wanted to make the entrance to my fortress behind the volcano, but I don't have the resources yet so I built a temporary encampment by the brook with a chasm on one side.  Long story short, I get tied up in various it-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time complicated side projects at the encampment and can't ever seem to finish any bridges across the lava to reach my dig site for my fortress entrance, due to interruptions by fire-vermin.  By now my dwarves are getting unhappy and when one goes insane I decide to just give up, and pull the lever that dumps the brook into the valley.  (One of my side projects that I built to put out grass fires at the mouth of the volcano, but if you don't shut the water off quickly...)

Anyhow the usual tantrum spiral starts, mixed with other interesting mishaps ranging from drowning to burning alive in the volcano, and eventually I get a message that my mechanic has been elected the new expedition leader.  Which is not surprising because when I look at my expedition list I see she's the only person in the expedition still alive!  Naturally I expect her to perish too (her boyfriend was one of the first casualties) but this mechanic chick is so badass, she keeps it together through the whole thing and keeps doing whatever I tell her - when I need another lever pulled she's right on it.  Dig a channel?  Gets done faster than when I had 7 dwarves.  Finally, just when I think there is no way she could go on any longer, I get my first wave of immigrants!  She actually held out long enough for me to get a fresh crew.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2009, 03:58:57 am »

Hey guys! Look what I found!

What did you find, Urist McDumbass?

Goblins! Can I keep 'em?!

o.o;;

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2009, 04:23:57 pm »

Hey guys! Look what I found!

What did you find, Urist McDumbass?

Goblins! Can I keep 'em?!

o.o;;

Urist McDumbass has adopted Sjkriiiiglud, Goblin.
Urist McDumbass cancels Sleep: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McDumbass has been struck down.

;D
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2009, 04:37:26 pm »

That's because Urist dishonored the fine traditions of goblin adoption!

Urist McCultural hs adopted Sjkriiiiglud, Goblin.
*Urist McCultural: Large Creature Bagging*
Sjkriiiiglud is now a member of the Painted Mechanisms.
-time passes-
Sjkriiiiglud has starved to death.
(Okay, so the bugs aren't all worked out yet. >_>)
Tilesets

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2009, 05:51:51 pm »

I just watched a rookie marksdwarf go to take his station with a single, solitary, steel bolt in his quiver. One.

Stuipid, Amork-cursed MORONS.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2009, 06:00:52 pm »

Sounds there like there will be a ton less of that and similar stupidity in the next update.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2009, 06:07:46 pm »

Not specifically my dwarves but some human traders that showed up.  They arrived along side a bunch of goblin ambushes.  With a speed Mario Andretti would be envious of, one of the wagons blasted past the goblins and made it into my fortress.  I have never seen anything in this game move so fast and certainly not an entire wagon.  The rest of the caravan moved at a more normal speed but were able to fight off the ambushers.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2009, 06:46:43 pm »

Ah, yes, fast wagons. They happen.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2009, 07:23:11 pm »

In my latest fort I have a cage cleaning room and archery range, which amounts to a door that can be locked and a wall of fortification for my marksdwarf to stand behind. I build the dozen caged gobos into the slaughter room, hook them up to levers, lock the door, station the military and pull the lever like I've done 3 dozen times already.

Except this time I notice a message about Urist McChild entering a rage.

It seems it was take your kid to work day and junior decided it would be fun to watch from the other side of the fortification.

The surprising thing... in the end, even after mom runs out of bolts and just stands on the ammo stockpile doing nothing for half a minute before re-loading, the kid is still alive with only one bruise. Future champion wrestler that sounds like to me.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2009, 02:36:57 pm »

I started off on what looked to be an interesting spot:  A chasm, magma, cave, underground river, all in the same place.  I figured to use the cave as a starting point, and eventually mine over to the others.  Of course, my dwarves, showing their usual level of "intelligence", embarked right next to the chasm.  Quickly ordering stockpiles and a meeting point over by the cave, I hoped to get everything out of the way before something nasty came after my dwarves.

Naturally, not five minutes in, a giant cave spider shows up.

I figure, well, this fortress is gone.  I did think to bring a hammerdwarf and two war dogs, though, and fortunately they're the only ones next to the spider.  The spider tears though the dogs, then comes for my hammerdwarf, breaking her right arm (fortunately, she's left-handed).  Unafraid and not slowed by the injury, she strikes the spider down with one heroic blow to the cephalothorax; being a giant cave spider, it takes a bit to die, but she doesn't take any more injuries from it.  She's now injured and unhappy, and I'm not sure how long she'll live since I don't have access to a safe water source, but she's a dwarven hero nonetheless.

EDIT:  Oh, and her name's Urist, of all things.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:39:10 pm by Judas Maccabeus »
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13