Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me find the ultimate challenge  (Read 1869 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Help me find the ultimate challenge
« on: July 05, 2009, 02:24:14 pm »

So in my usual style, I've decided I want to go OVEBOARD.

I refuse to use tilesets, but other than that I wil add any mod to my game that is posted here.
Currently, I have orcs installed on vanilla, and nothing else.

SO yeah, choose the fate of my dwarves.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find the ultimate challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 02:51:55 pm »

Search for ender goblins. The only thing that can reliably kill an ender is a sneaking level 300 shield user throwing ballistae ammo.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:05:28 pm »

Will do.

Anything else?

Is it possible to have races that come to trade at the same time, but fight each other if at war?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 03:27:03 pm »

Will do.

Anything else?

Is it possible to have races that come to trade at the same time, but fight each other if at war?
It's possible to have traders that will randomly breath fire and smash your depot even if they are friendly with you.  And a ceiling collapse will take out an ender.

Angellus

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 05:29:28 pm »

Orcs, lots and LOTS of orcs.

((Do ender goblins spawn at sieges?))

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:31:36 pm »

insane fortress is a pretty good start, new, stronger enemies, and all units are much more likely to score critical hits/smash things into unrecognisable lumps.

first time playing in adventure mode a groundhog tore off my arm and then ate my face
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:48:06 pm »

Just give your dwarves DAMBLOCK: -100
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:29:46 am »

Will add in all these.

Anything else?

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 03:05:09 pm »

Give all hostile civs [SPEED:1]
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Angellus

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 03:32:16 pm »

Good one.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 03:35:13 pm »

They wouldn't be enemies so much as denizens that move around on wings of fire and tear dwarves to pieces before they even have a chance to give you a spam retreating message.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:14 pm »

you would get x number of death messages (with x being the number of dwarves in your fortress) all in one second. I bet that any civ with speed of 1 would be able to bypass any traps that you have and the trap wouldn't even trigger. It would be the quickest defeat of a fortress in history ;D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 03:55:29 pm »

you would get x number of death messages (with x being the number of dwarves in your fortress) all in one second. I bet that any civ with speed of 1 would be able to bypass any traps that you have and the trap wouldn't even trigger. It would be the quickest defeat of a fortress in history ;D
Still wouldn't be able to open doors though.  So there'd be some hope, although dwarves running to collect the socks of the fallen would move nearly as fast.

Oh, and I've had a faster, 1 frame defeat, using these two lines of code.

[HEATDAMN_POINT:0]
[SEVERONBREAKS]

The only shame was that the game ended before I got to see the epic explosion.  And I only got one death message before my fort crumbled.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 03:59:22 pm »

and give them [FIREIMMUNE], [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER], and [FIREBREATH]. [FLYING] optional, but potentially helpful. [trAPAVOID] is almost required, but the orcs (and I believe the ender goblins) already have them. Ender goblins > Orcs, by the way. A siege of Orcs were made to be reasonably defeatable by a fortress defense force, an Ender was made to be undefeatable by a multilegendary adventure mode thrower. Though that was proven wrong, the current "exchange rate" for Enders seems to be around 80 well-trained dwarves per dead Ender. If you give them a civilization you'll get local Ender leaders, who will be essentially invulnerable.

Off the top of my head, [NOPAIN], [NONAUSIA], [NOBLEED], [NOBREATH], [NOSTUN], and [NOEXERT] should help quite a bit, especially if you are using [SPEED:1]. [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] will make them immune to drawbridge-smashing, leaving only cave-ins as instant kills.

Greatly increase the [GROWDUR] of all plants. Give all animals at least size 8, multiply the group numbers by 5. Good luck hunting and growing plants for booze.

Embark-wise, choose a 2x2 metamorphic mountain with no aquifer. Try to find an undead-filled area if possible.

Check the "insane difficulty" thread for some more ideas.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 04:02:47 pm »

Giving goblins a high homeotherm will also make their wrestlers rather dangerous, as in "They'll start fires just by touching clothing".