Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Iron ores and volcanism (world gen/need a map)  (Read 3254 times)

ktstyle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Iron ores and volcanism (world gen/need a map)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 01:50:21 pm »

For the civ, you basically need to get lucky with worldgen wars and have "Require Playable Civilization: No" in your parameters.  There's a few threads around here with dwarfless worldgens.

Couldnt find useful information. Having no dwarf civ meant no dwarf fortress option in the start menu.

Postninja fake edit: Max pop 1?  Oooh, may have to try that.

Tried it, didn't work. Just got an outpost liason and migrants.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 03:09:52 pm »

So, I had already realized and forgotten the obvious problem of a checkerboard landscape causing too many subregions (overshot it by many thousand in the reject log) so now I'm trying to work out diagonal mountain ranges.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 03:22:52 pm »

the exact edits i made that made to the entity file was

max_starting_civ_number:1
start_group_number:1
max_pop_number:1
max_site_pop_number:1

then when i genned a world, they were all extinct, but i could still start a fortress.   no caravans (except elves and humans) and no migrants at all (nobody to migrate!)

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 05:18:07 pm »

Pfft, you don't need all that painter stuff to get a good mix.  Just jack up the number of volcanos - but NOT vulcanism - and you'll get magma pipes popping up everywhere without filling up the world with igneous rock.  Then all you have to do is look at the volcanos and the 8 tiles around them, and you're bound to find somewhere that has a pipe coming up next to sedementary rock.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 10:40:43 pm »

Pfft, you don't need all that painter stuff to get a good mix.  Just jack up the number of volcanos - but NOT vulcanism - and you'll get magma pipes popping up everywhere without filling up the world with igneous rock.  Then all you have to do is look at the volcanos and the 8 tiles around them, and you're bound to find somewhere that has a pipe coming up next to sedementary rock.
The trick is to use the mesh values.  If you bump up the lowest and highest mesh values to around fifty (or, maybe just turn the middle three to zero, although I'm not sure that works), then you will be more likely to have volcanism high enough to make a vent on the same embark as stone with no volcanism at all.  Bump the x and y-variations up as high as they go, too.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 12:03:41 pm »

But you don't even have to do that.  Just go to the minimum volcanos, jack it up to 50 or something, and there ya go.  It's a lot easier to remember "make this one number really big" than it is to figure out how to tweak a bunch of mesh values, variation values, and all that stuff.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 12:11:59 pm »

heh yeah forgot that part; kinda goes without saying for me--I do that on every map I gen.

don't get me wrong, you certainly can get good sites with just that, but it'll be easier if you use meshes.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 02:49:22 pm »

That just makes the world reject over and over until it gets that many volcanos. Thus it is easy to set that number higher than your other parameters will ever get and get infinite rejects.

The trick is to use the mesh values.  If you bump up the lowest and highest mesh values to around fifty (or, maybe just turn the middle three to zero, although I'm not sure that works), then you will be more likely to have volcanism high enough to make a vent on the same embark as stone with no volcanism at all.  Bump the x and y-variations up as high as they go, too.
They give the world some preference but they can't override variance. 50 0 0 0 50 is effectively the same as 1 0 0 0 1 but you won't get that strong a contrast.

But you don't even have to do that.  Just go to the minimum volcanos, jack it up to 50 or something, and there ya go.  It's a lot easier to remember "make this one number really big" than it is to figure out how to tweak a bunch of mesh values, variation values, and all that stuff.
Big variance mean big change from one tile to next.
Mesh be like dividing square into pieces so 16x16 mean smaller bits dan 2x2 and den it try help push big numbers over small numbers.

If you've got the time to have the world run hundreds of rejects you oughta have to time to play around with some values -_-

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 03:56:56 pm »

I've never had many rejects jacking up the number of volcanos.  I think my last world was 6 rejects.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 05:02:12 pm »

As far as I know, that setting will only lead to a reject if there aren't enough places with high enough volcanism to place a volcano.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 03:53:22 am »

Then one in six maps (give or take if 6 isn't the average number of rejects,) has 50+ volcanoes anyway.
What size worlds do you gen?

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 10:12:48 am »

I'm not really modding literate.  Is that the same line as
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 11:26:07 am »

Then one in six maps (give or take if 6 isn't the average number of rejects,) has 50+ volcanoes anyway.
What size worlds do you gen?

I usually gen the 129x129 one (Medium, I think...I don't want to fire up DF to check the name of those dimensions).

And I have never seen so damned many volcanos on maps that I gen with default settings.  They are everywhere.  And they all have visible magma pipes in at least one (and usually more) world tile adjacent to them, in pretty much any biome you can imagine.  And I don't even know how many pools or hidden pipes there are that I haven't seen.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 11:47:15 am »

I'm not really modding literate.  Is that the same line as
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
I've never gone into the text file, but I would be willing to bet that yes, that's what you want.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 11:57:51 am »

I've never had many rejects jacking up the number of volcanos.  I think my last world was 6 rejects.

I just tried this for kicks and dear lord is it taking a long time to gen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3