Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Site symbol  (Read 1523 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Site symbol
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:45:07 am »

While we are currently allowed to name our embark group and site, the symbol of the site itself is randomly chosen. I'd like that oversight rectified, preferably sooner than later

If Toady wants it to be random, at the very least the species' artistic tendencies should affect the choice. It's frankly ridiculous that anything other than a dwarven prison colony would have the symbol of Naked Mole Dogs. Choosing such a hairless creature is completely out of character for a race pricing their beards! This is an outrage!

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Site symbol
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:06:33 am »

Well, if such is the case, it's clear your group is a bunch of shamed outcasts, and so deserve the terrible things that shall be done to them.

While they are on fire.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:10:47 am »

Well, if such is the case, it's clear your group is a bunch of shamed outcasts, and so deserve the terrible things that shall be done to them.

While they are on fire.

This statement is a logical fallacy as you are not on fire once submersed in magma.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:21:07 am »

I assume you'd be dead by the time you're actually submerged.  So you could probably be on fire for the painful part.

As for the site symbol, I agree.  If we should be able to name our group/fort, we should be able to choose the symbol as well.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 10:32:46 am »

While they are on fire.

This statement is a logical fallacy as you are not on fire once submersed in magma.

I never said it had to be magma.

And, technically speaking, you'd have burst into flame prior to contact, you know, just long enough to set off every pain receptor you have before you start to melt.  Otherwise, you'd die to quick to feel the pain, and what's the point of it then?

My fort's symbol is a Char.  My civ's is a pair of leather armors.  Not so bad, but I haven't had any good sieges, any megabeasts or found HFS, so half my engravings are of fish and pairs of leather armor.  That and some dude who killed a bear 100 years before my fort started.
is he okay?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:59:46 am »

While we are currently allowed to name our embark group and site, the symbol of the site itself is randomly chosen. I'd like that oversight rectified, preferably sooner than later

If Toady wants it to be random, at the very least the species' artistic tendencies should affect the choice. It's frankly ridiculous that anything other than a dwarven prison colony would have the symbol of Naked Mole Dogs. Choosing such a hairless creature is completely out of character for a race pricing their beards! This is an outrage!
It can be worse. I had a fortress with as symbol: Elves.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 01:24:25 pm »

I don't see what's such a problem about having a site symbol be a creature that's known for digging. Relatively few of those in the DFverse, so it's actually quite appropriate to pick one as your symbol.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 02:47:32 pm »

It can be worse. I had a fortress with as symbol: Elves.
You poor bastard, seriously. That is horrible.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Taelzos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 03:33:15 pm »

I'm having to issue a lot of self restraint not to rage at OP.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 06:16:16 pm »

BLASPHEMER!

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 09:20:14 pm »

BLASPHEMER!

Tut.

Firesnake/Fire Imp/Magma Man, caged, surrounded by a booze stockpile and pressure plates.

Magma may be the most pure form of cleansing, but one should not ignore the lesser forms either.
is he okay?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 09:37:29 pm »

I'd be okay with this, as long as we had the option of randoming it as well.

I don't like it when I get a symbol like cows.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 03:55:24 am »

I think it'd be best if it went the same way as the fortress' name currently does.

You're given a random symbol to start with, but if it's something that completely offends your sensibilities, or you want something specific, you can change it.

It wouldn't make sense to change civilization symbols every time you start a new fort though. I'd be nice to have a little description paragraph for each civ, available from the embark screen, so you can avoid the ones with weird symbols, etc.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 06:55:54 am »

I'm having to issue a lot of self restraint not to rage at OP.

I'll bite. Why?

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 08:44:27 am »

It wouldn't make sense to change civilization symbols every time you start a new fort though. I'd be nice to have a little description paragraph for each civ, available from the embark screen, so you can avoid the ones with weird symbols, etc.

Perhaps the civs on the civs list should show their symbol, like they do in the Legends screen.

Supporting the choose-your-group-symbol, by the way.
Pages: [1] 2