Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Site symbol  (Read 1516 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Site symbol
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 10:25:04 am »

My standard answer to the "no sense" crowd

Not that I disagree... just... sense is where you find it

Taelzos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 11:05:19 am »

I'm having to issue a lot of self restraint not to rage at OP.

I'll bite. Why?

People who whine and groan instead of plainly state what should be changed must be on the receiving end of a slap.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 12:07:28 pm »

People who whine and groan instead of plainly state what should be changed must be on the receiving end of a slap.

Well, I tend to assume they are being overly dramatic for the sake of being dramatic.  This is the 'net, so I tend to presume folk aren't as serious as text might indicate.

Plus, this is DF after all. ;)
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 02:44:29 pm »

It wouldn't make sense to change civilization symbols every time you start a new fort though. I'd be nice to have a little description paragraph for each civ, available from the embark screen, so you can avoid the ones with weird symbols, etc.

They're already called Syrups of Bellowing and Wind of Posterior, seeing the civ symbol seems meaningless at this point. I was talking about the site symbol

I'd love the ability to edit generated worlds but as long as we don't have that, this feature wouldn't help much

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 08:52:53 am »

I must heartily agree with choosing your own site symbol.  If you're starting a fortress, choose its name, and choose the name of the group going, you should be able to choose the symbols that this group will rally under, perhaps from a list given for each Civ - you know, to avoid some poor group's symbol being the aforementioned Elf.  Or a unicorn.  Or the purring maggots I got for my first fortress.  I mean, sure, the maggots are useful (kind of?), but they're still vermin.  How many of my Dwarves detested purring maggots?  About half.  I'm surprised they didn't get unhappy thoughts just walking through my carved hallways.

And yes, any language-based thing you choose should also have a random option.  This has, after all, been the precedent.  You can name the world or use a random one, name your fortress & group or use a random one, I would think the same would go for the symbol.  Of course, you only see the symbol at all if you have a habit of looking at your engravings and sewn images, but for those of us that do it would be a nice touch.

I'd also like to see the Civ symbol, too, just for when I get the cool-sounding ones, but I will also admit that it's much less important to me to be able to control that symbol.
... At least until my fortress becomes the capitol.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!
Pages: 1 [2]