Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Worst artifacts list  (Read 10991 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Worst artifacts list
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 09:53:08 pm »

Dogikkal, "Wadsmiles", a Alder toy hammer

This is a Alder toy hammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of Alder.

Basic Value: 2400☼

First artifact in my current fortress. At least it was a fey mood, so the guy got some experience out of it. Too bad it was in Woodcrafting...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 09:57:36 pm »

i'll upload proof when i can access it this weekend, but i have a 1 dwarfbuck stone bed made of generic "stone" material.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 10:19:38 pm »

my child made a bone grate  :-[. Only good thing is now I can subsitute wood bold with bone bolts.
Hello Hunam

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 11:42:12 pm »

i'll upload proof when i can access it this weekend, but i have a 1 dwarfbuck stone bed made of generic "stone" material.

Sounds like a bug or a glitch from modding maybe.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 12:16:06 am »

A rope reed thong, with an image sewn into it with... wait for it... pig tail cloth. Two pieces of undyed cloth in an artifact, yea, the value sucked. On the bright side, it was a fey mood, so now my legendary clothier likes to sew images of his rope reed thong into everything (he sewed an image of the thong into the thong, that's how obsessed he is with it).

Later I got two floodgates, both from posessions. They're both fairly valuable though, so I set them in my dining hall. Kinda out of place, but it almost doubled the rooms value - a fair task considering my legendary mason (trained, not mooded) filled the room with masterwork furniture.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Ignem

• Bay Watcher
  • formerly known as slemsvamp
    • View Profile
    • My own music
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 03:32:15 am »

Playing a map without any trees and I rely on trading for wood, first fey mood is a Carpenter and he makes a worthless flute or was it a lute from my really sparse pile of wooden logs. It was worth somewhere close to a whooping 1200 dwarfbucks. The legendary status was appreciated though, the few wooden things i do are atleast really good quality now.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 05:06:07 am »

I swear, if my dwarves EVER ask for silk thread again I will have them led into the firing zone of my ballista and shot. I've lost 2 good dwarves due to possessions requiring the fecking stuff, and no-one has any!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 08:03:28 am »

I swear, if my dwarves EVER ask for silk thread again I will have them led into the firing zone of my ballista and shot. I've lost 2 good dwarves due to possessions requiring the fecking stuff, and no-one has any!

The elves might have some and both the dwarven and human caravans usually carry some with them.

Seriously, it's a good idea to at least embark (or buy as soon as you can) with some silk and plant fiber cloth just in case.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 08:32:36 am »

Plants useable for thread and cloth can be easily made yourself and cs/gcs thread/cloth is readily available as well. Both can be ordered from human and dwarven traders.

In short, there's no real reason to complain about this shit being hard to supply, because it's exactly the opposite. The same can be said about shells. Turtles are cheap so you can just as well take some with you on embark and in most - perhaps even all - cases traders can supply them.

I swear, all this complaining about silk (and sometimes shells) is total bullshit.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 09:01:50 am »

Sounds like a bug or a glitch from modding maybe.
no mod. proof later.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 10:17:48 am »

yeah, but the point is that this is my first fortress, I embarked with some good stuff, but no silk. There are no CS or GCS around, and no traders have it. None! Out of 4 friendly civs nearby, no-one has any. I've dug all the way down to the bottom of the map, got no underground river, no chasm, no magma, no GCS. I'm rolling in flux and iron/copper so economicaly I'm fine. Basically I've got all the necessaries, but none of the extras.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 10:32:31 am »

yeah, but the point is that this is my first fortress, I embarked with some good stuff, but no silk. There are no CS or GCS around, and no traders have it. None! Out of 4 friendly civs nearby, no-one has any. I've dug all the way down to the bottom of the map, got no underground river, no chasm, no magma, no GCS. I'm rolling in flux and iron/copper so economicaly I'm fine. Basically I've got all the necessaries, but none of the extras.

Rather than have that happen to an established fort, I would prefer to cheat a bit and make a reaction to either a) create shells from nothing (or bones if I'm feeling less cheaty), or b) add webs to a common creature, like bats or squirrels. It counts as silk just like spiders.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 12:04:29 pm »

No possibility of ordering silk cloth or thread either? You should make sure, because that's something I've seen every time I've ever checked and hence thought that it would be guaranteed the same way, for example, domestic animals are.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 02:56:25 pm »

update on worst artifact- a chalk mug...
Hello Hunam

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 03:28:35 pm »

I had a fort where I got only craft artifacts. No weapons, no beds, no furniture, no armour. Just shittin' crafts. At about the...9th artifact craft, I decided to kill the fort. Clearly it was cursed.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8