Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Worst artifacts list  (Read 10993 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst artifacts list
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 12:08:42 am »

A tower-cap blowgun. It menaces with spikes of tower-cap. $2200.

Could be worse; he could collect three logs and the only frickin' piece of black bronze (which the Mayor just happens to love more dearly than anything else in the entire universe) in the entire fortress while possessed to make a blowgun. When that happens, you get a blowgun, no legendary dwarf, and a beating for whichever hapless scapegoat the Mayor picks.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 12:11:54 am »

I got a wooden cup with leather. On the leather was embossed an image of a wooden cup. It's pretty hilarious; got a Legendary Woodcraft, woopee!
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 05:15:26 am »

My current fortress has had 4 possessions and one fey mood.

Possession One: My first stone crafter, about early fall year one. White marble cup, encrusted with white marble, encircled with bands of white marble.

Second possession: A turtle shell amulet. three things of turtle shell.

Then I had an actual fey mood, a green glass amulet. I am glad for that, cause now I have masterwork crystal glass stuff. Is nice.

Third possession: Mammoth fur toga! three things of the most expensive leather I had.

Fourth possession: Native platinum ore millstone. Just one piece. And it was my first mason who made it.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

joeyjo0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 05:19:05 am »

This dwarf took 3 adamantine wafers just to make a stupid OAKEN amulet.

He was possesed too.

At least it's worth 300k.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 08:24:50 am »

The worst artifact is most likely one that got you a legendary woodcrafter (as in the crafting skill, not carpentry).

What do you have against a vast supply of masterwork bolts?

nothing, in fact (given that I nothing but copper) all my bolts are made from wood by a  feyed up recruit who turned into a woodcrafter. No journeys to get different ammo means that going back for ammo almost never happens and my marksdwarves can respond super quickly to any threat :D.

P.S. I'm glad this thread is growing :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 11:39:05 am »

The worst artifact is most likely one that got you a legendary woodcrafter (as in the crafting skill, not carpentry).

What do you have against a vast supply of masterwork bolts?

nothing, in fact (given that I nothing but copper) all my bolts are made from wood by a  feyed up recruit who turned into a woodcrafter. No journeys to get different ammo means that going back for ammo almost never happens and my marksdwarves can respond super quickly to any threat :D.

P.S. I'm glad this thread is growing :D

Because I don't have much use for woodcrafters. Does quality really have an effect for bolts?.

Of course though, if you are in a desert and don't want to waste the wood on a legendary woodcrafter....

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 02:47:15 pm »

I've had my fair share of oaken earrings and crap, but the one I consider the worst was actually a helm.

It was a nice helm.  Decent value, good piece of armor, all that stuff.  The problem?  It was a bone helm.  Bone helms count as chain-level armor, so every time I set a dwarf to plate he'd take it off.  It was even worse than that though:  if I didn't forbid it, I couldn't get my soldiers to wear a metal cap under their helm because they'd go straight for the bone helm instead.

True, it was more useful than a 80☼ crapitite dildo, but having such an awesome piece of equipment sitting there forbidden, forever mocking me... :'(

Because I don't have much use for woodcrafters. Does quality really have an effect for bolts?.

Of course though, if you are in a desert and don't want to waste the wood on a legendary woodcrafter....

As far as anybody knows, quality has a big effect on bolts.  The quality and material of the bolts, in fact, are what are used to determine the effectiveness of a ranged weapon attack, not the weapon itself.

Of course, masterwork wood bolts still suck.  No-quality iron is just as effective, and bone bolts make for better practice ammo because bones are easier to come by than wood.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 03:02:29 pm »

Of course, masterwork wood bolts still suck.  No-quality iron is just as effective, and bone bolts make for better practice ammo because bones are easier to come by than wood.
Meh, on some swamp maps and forests wood is actually easier to come by than bones.  Weirdly.

I think the quality of the ranged weapon itself effects the melee attack.  Is this right?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 03:14:41 pm »

That's right, the melee attack is affected by material and quality just like with any other weapon.  Of course, if your Marksdwarves are smacking something with their xbow, they're already in trouble anyways ;)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 03:27:58 pm »

That's right, the melee attack is affected by material and quality just like with any other weapon.  Of course, if your Marksdwarves are smacking something with their xbow, they're already in trouble anyways ;)
Not if they also happen to be a legendary hammerdwarf!  Muhahahaha!

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 03:25:48 am »

I got a mule leather loin cloth encercled with mule leather.

thp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 10:40:03 am »

Got this one last night:

Rigoth Uremnish, Bowyer has created Imkethas Abanvush, an Oaken blowgun!

Basic value: 55200*

This is a Oaken blowgun. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of Maple and Rainbow trout bone. This object is adorned with hanging rings of Cryolite and menaces with spikes of Aluminum. On the item is an image of circles in Oak. On the item is an image of Aban Postfaction the dwarf and dwarves in Ash. Aban Postfaction is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Aban Postfaction to the leadership of the Corridors of Tin in late 210.

Now that's a waste of materials, son! Especially since I've only found four aluminum ore so far-- that's it for metal. All the rest of my metal is iron and copper from melting down kobold weapons.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 12:22:20 pm »

Magnetite mechanism, encircled with bands of silk thread--like that's gonna work in any machinery, idiot--and the jerk dwarf didn't have the decency to become a legendary Mechanic.  Great...

Worse though is reclaiming a site with a handful of artifacts, having them all shoved together in a bin, and getting the bin stuck in the trade depot because of stockpile shenanigans.  Loss of a perfectly good bin!  Jerks.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 03:17:05 pm »

My two worst artifacts would have to be a single perfect glass gem, and this golden spear that seems to have a curse on it. I neglected to forbid it, and now my champion likes to impale all my recruits.

Both were possessions, so not even a skill-up.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 03:46:21 pm »

What kind of glass? clear, crystal, or green?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8