Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Worst artifacts list  (Read 10981 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Worst artifacts list
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:05:42 am »

A child got possessed and made a chalk harp with rings of chalk.

I got:
An artifact worth almost nothing, completely useless.
Loss of a once in his lifetime event.
No legendary status.

Anyone got an even worse story?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Worst artifacts list
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 07:09:21 am »

That moron of a legendary miner who decided to make an artifact idol, which he then carelessly left outside.  Kobold stole it, and the rest is kinda obvious.

SwiftAusterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 08:41:59 am »

Worst I've gotten is a chestnut cup with spikes of chestnut.

Of course it was so impressive to the dwarves that most subsequent artifacts mention it in some capacity, and half of one of the opulent tombs is engraved with images of it.

Though, the absolute most damaging one I've gotten is last fort: I embarked with some 42 turtle and cave lobster meat, knowing full well the idiots will want shell every single fey mood. 3 artifacts down and my prediction was correct until some yahoo gets possessed and makes a toy something that uses 18 pieces of shell. So much for planning >.>

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:45:00 am »

The worst artifact is most likely one that got you a legendary woodcrafter (as in the crafting skill, not carpentry).

Anyways, one of my worst artifacts ever is a pair of turtle bone leggings made from a single piece of turtle bone, with spikes of turtle bone. It was worth 3,000 dwarfbucks. I know idols and stuff are often cheaper, but they usually have some kind of decoration and are made from more than one material. To boot, it was a possession. Frikking ghost or whatever must have the imagination of a rock. :P

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 02:30:16 pm »

I have the absolute worst luck with artifacts. It doesn't matter how much precious metals I have lying about the fort, I will always get something made from rock or wood. That's probably because the majority of my workforce are masons though.
This is to make me recognizable.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 02:40:20 pm »

Possessions still allow you to get a fey or other mood later

Chalk is an economic stone isn't it? As in a x2 multiplier

It could have been worse.

Artifact greaves are really good, I don't see why that's a bad artifact. Sucks it was possession but still.

Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Humberticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 02:46:25 pm »

Of course it was so impressive to the dwarves that most subsequent artifacts mention it in some capacity, and half of one of the opulent tombs is engraved with images of it.

Though, the absolute most damaging one I've gotten is last fort: I embarked with some 42 turtle and cave lobster meat, knowing full well the idiots will want shell every single fey mood. 3 artifacts down and my prediction was correct until some yahoo gets possessed and makes a toy something that uses 18 pieces of shell. So much for planning >.>

that would piss me off to no end.

any artifact made in a craftsdwarf shop pisses me off. You can't display it, it can't be used for anything and it just sits in a stockpile with no utility for anyone.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 02:51:33 pm »

You mean leggings, not greaves. I was mainly surprised by the fact that a bone artifact was made using only one unit of anything. Things made using only a single item (as in one unit of anything) in a mood is normal for jewellers and sometimes with things like idols and bracelets, but bone artifacts generally have at least a few more stuff on them. Hell, my next cheapest artifact went for twice that, it was some kind of bracelet or ring or something with some decorations.

I already had two other legendary bonecarvers (also from moods, with better artifacts btw) so it wasn't a big deal that it was a possession.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 02:58:28 pm »

that would piss me off to no end.

any artifact made in a craftsdwarf shop pisses me off. You can't display it, it can't be used for anything and it just sits in a stockpile with no utility for anyone.

Plus the fact that that's the most common artifact type (unless like me you've constantly got 50 masons) since it's the default for all the soap makers/rangers/random job dwarves.
This is to make me recognizable.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 05:37:02 pm »

stone detailers for thewin!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 07:29:28 pm »

Plus the fact that that's the most common artifact type (unless like me you've constantly got 50 masons) since it's the default for all the soap makers/rangers/random job dwarves.

Which is why you always have your farmers (etc) smith a gauntlet to get that dabbling armoursmith. Always. I think everyone has had an artifact craft with a single decoration, made of chestnut or mica or some garbage like that. I think there have been other threads about it. At least Chalk is flux, and therefore worth twice as much as some of the crap I've seen my dwarfs make artifacts out of.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 09:35:59 pm »

The worst artifact is most likely one that got you a legendary woodcrafter (as in the crafting skill, not carpentry).

What do you have against a vast supply of masterwork bolts?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 09:59:29 pm »

The dabbling armorsmith (copper caps is my pref) or weaponsmith (silver weapons are a natural) is something every player shouldn't have to even think about, it should just happen, immediately upon arrival.

If you want to get tricky, you can look over their preferences and choose their dabbling, moodable skill to match. If it's one of the high-end ores, it's masonry, hoping for some useful furniture.  If any dwarf likes steel or adamantine, it's armor or weapon city, but if they like silk, it's clothier, and so on.  I'd rather have an artifact silk loincloth than a silk scepter or buckler or whatever.

Possessions still allow you to get a fey or other mood later

??? Since when? Where are you getting this?

It's hard to disprove the statement, but that is completely contrary to everything I've seen.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 10:05:09 pm »

A bowyer was hit by a mood. Yay, you might think, masterwork crossbows aplenty, and an artifact one!

But no! A posession! Then, after I BUILT THE WORKSHOP JUST FOR HIM, he took a tower-cap log, and set to work.
A tower-cap blowgun. It menaces with spikes of tower-cap. $2200.

This map has no trees on it. I hadn't discovered the underground river at this point. And I was under siege by humans, in my third year, after the death of their liason. Interdicting my only chance of more wood.
And this pathetic thing WASTED one of my precious, prized logs. On a FUCKING BLOWGUN. And he didn't even get legendary on it because it was a posession.
He just deprived a soapmaker of a bed.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 10:08:26 pm »

Skorpion, you win this thread. Or lose, as the case may be.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8