Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I drained my magma pipe...  (Read 3112 times)

Jostain the Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I drained my magma pipe...
« on: July 05, 2009, 06:59:57 am »

I was going to built a super structure and made myself a "obsidian watt" by digging down to the bottom of the volcano and making several channels leading to steel pumps that propelled the magma to the watt.

I used the watt like this to train my miner under the impression that magma pipes were infinite now ive reached the bottom and its completely dry. the dwarfs can now walk on the bottom tiles called "magma flow" and build stuff directly on it. this is the first time I encounter this and ive done extensive testing on the design and the pipe always refills.

is this some kind of bug or a certain type of volcanoes?

/Jostain The Green.

Ps. I used a world gen from the forum called plane of cool that makes tons of pipes if that has something to do with it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 07:04:35 am by Jostain the Green »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I drained my magma pipe...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:13:30 am »

Is it possible that it's refilling very slowly? AFAIK magma pipes always refill, albeit slowly.

Also, I believe magma pipes refill from the top. Although the top of "nothing" is also the bottom of nothing. Not sure if that helps.

Jostain the Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 09:07:30 am »

from the top?!
only in DF...

thanks for the tips.
does the magma always replenish at the same rate or does it change from pipe to pipe. if its constant what kind of figures are we talking?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 09:24:25 am »

I'd say at 100 FPS(mostly constant) we're talking about 10/15 minutes for one level to fully refill.
As for the whole magma pipe refilling from the top, this is due to the way that magma works, say you're working with magma on a purely horizontal level, magma cannot push other magma 'up' like the way water works, so the only way for a magma pipe to really refill would be to have it "simulate" a refilling from the bottom, by just generating magma on whatever level is currently the "top" level...
This is making less sense the more I try to explain it.

Jostain the Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 09:55:42 am »

ah... So its basically possible to drain the volcano if you drain it from the bottom most tile. so theoretically i can re-ignite the volcano by refilling the final layer with magma.
I think ill make a new map to perfect the design rather than modifying.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:13:52 am »

An obsidian what now? It must be some kind of obsidian farm if you're training miners with it, but I have no idea what a watt is in this context.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 02:18:18 pm »

Build a fort in there before it refills!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Angellus

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 03:14:06 pm »

Build a fort in there before it refills!
Haha, only on the DF forums XD

Jostain the Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 03:34:22 pm »

I started doing that in a earlier fortress but i never got around to filling it up. should work tough.

and i meant "vat" earlier not watt. im a terrible speller.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 07:35:46 pm »

Wow you used up an ENTIRE PIPE? Are you sure it's not a pool? How hard was it?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 07:38:46 pm »

Just to be on the safe side, you are sure this is a "pipe" and not a "pool"?  (You do know the diff?)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 09:11:54 pm »

^
^
magma flow

I'm pretty sure the bottom of magma pools is just normal ground, magma pipes however are magma flow, last I checked.
So he'd either be pulling our legs, or there's a bug.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 09:15:20 pm »

Missed that, my bad.   :-X

Jostain the Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 12:41:21 pm »

to be clear. It was a pipe reaching to the surface and I drained it by placing 10 bauxite pumps with smaller tunnels gathering into a large tunnel going to a large room 2 Z-levels high. The lowest portion of the pipe was much larger than the one above so all I had to do was building the pumps on the level above and when i was done channel the parts where the lave comes out the tunnel filled fast and reached the Floodgates that controlled the magma flow. I made one slight error in that i forgot to seal a part of the tunnel running over chasm and due to being one level lower than the pumps (bottom level that is) the magma leaked out of the tunnel into the chasm and draining the entire pipe. noticing that the magma didn't regenerate i dug into the bottom floor and found the ground to be walkable. the ground said "magma Flow" but produced no magma. it was like solid ground in everything but towards falling objects that disappeared. I had a theory that you might be able to "jump start" the magma by refilling the bottom floor but i didn't have enough magma left so i gave up and started over.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 01:53:25 pm »

So, for this underwater obsidian city I'm making, best to tap from the  top, then. And, probably best to fill the ground level with the lake first, and use a bunch of hatches to control the outflow level of the magma.

And I thought you meant something like Angkor Wat.
Pages: [1] 2