Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Game Over with Luke_Prowler  (Read 5953 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Game Over with Luke_Prowler
« on: July 05, 2009, 04:46:45 am »

After a string of a midnight surfing and constant reruns, I decided that it wouldn't hurt to try to do some reviewing/ranting on the local fourm, and since this is one of the few fourms I can get on that doesn't crash my modem, this is the place to be.

Most reviewers would usually take some new game, and give it a sound review on the pretty graphics and nice gameplay, but I have neither job nor driver's licence, so you're going to have to sit through whatever old thing I have around. I figured I would start with the newest thing, but I wouldn't play Animal Crossing: City Folk if there was a gun pointed at my manhood, so we move on to the next one: Dead Space.

Seems simple enough

Most gamers would have saw either the nice title or the disembodied arm and figured that the game is some sort of horror game, which probably made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside for solving that all by yourself. Experanced gamers would have seen the EA logo on the bottom right corner and jumped in real horror. OK, obligory Electronic Arts joke done. I mean, they do okay on their own. They made the Medel of Honor series, and...uhm
I'm sure I'll think of something later
The sign of mediocracy since 1982

The game revolve around the main character Isaac Clarke, engineer (not Space Marine, although you're still the most armored person in the game) , sent out to fix the Ishimura, a big mining ship that seems to have a busted commucation unit, although it's rarely that simple. Shortly after landing (read: crash) the ship, you and your group run into the Necromorphs which are, say it with me, ZOMBIES IN SPAACCCCE.
It just wants a hug
The red shirts are killed off quickly, you are seperated from the people that can actually help, and now you have to going back and forth through the ship, wading through fugly monstrositys as you still have to fix the place before it crashs into the planet surface, despite the fact that there is no actual time limit. Most of the plot involve the now undead crew of the Ishimura, and that most were a part of the "Church of Unitology", who worship aliens or some such (remind you of anything?). A sub-plot revolves around Isaac's girlfriend Nicole, who is also on the Nostromo, her fate unknown. She is ment for you to feel sad for Isaac, but fail utterly because the game never actaully makes a point to humanize him.

The game itself handles very well, mostly because the game rips off the gameplay of Resident Evil 4 amost exactly (with a few improvments). It also copies RE4's "survivor horror but actually action shoot-m-up" style, which is disapointing to say the least. The weapon are cool, but most of them are piss poor. One can complete the entire game with the plasma cutter alone, and the Ripper is the only real good one (although only the machine gun is an actual gun, the others are modified tools. The setting is scary, but predicable. I would be much more sacred if the Palomino was in bright colors, well lighted and completely clean, as you would never expect something with an extra pair of limbs to attack you in that kind of setting, but instead we get the regular 'Gun metel gray, flickering bulbs, grime and blood everywhere" motif that seem standard in horror games.
Seen it a million time

After playing the game, one must wonder how much better Dead Space would have gone if given an extra oomph. I've play Army of Two recently as well, and it seems a pattern that EA makes the game good enough to sell, but not enough to put it into fame. But Dead Space has proven itself good enought o get its own sequal. As a rail-shooter. On the Wii. At this rate, Nintendo well become the Lifetime Channel of the gaming world.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 05:01:25 am by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Game Over with Luke_Prowler
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 05:08:22 am »

sarcasm rules, especially on the internet!

you, ummm, rock!

I didnt even read it, but i get the gist of it, the game sucks. As do all new games because we are elitist fans of deep game like DF. yeah i get that.

fuck EA! yeah!
(i dont really care)

eat my shorts?
my pee pee hertz.
I got nothing

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 05:58:25 am »

I simply love how people think that startled = scared.

First of, fear is a useful evolutionary trait allowing us to avoid danger.

Startling is the first phase of fear when your blood gets a hefty dose of adrenalin and your senses sharpen. However that doesn't last long if there's no actual FEAR involved. Having a monster jump at me and then I just kill it is NOT SCARY. It's just STARTLING. You know what's scary? F.E.A.R. Especially the 2nd one. Mindfuck horror = scary. Doom 3 horror = startle.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 06:00:13 am »

I hate startling games overall. <_<

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 06:01:07 am »

I simply love how people think that startled = scared.

First of, fear is a useful evolutionary trait allowing us to avoid danger.

Startling is the first phase of fear when your blood gets a hefty dose of adrenalin and your senses sharpen. However that doesn't last long if there's no actual FEAR involved. Having a monster jump at me and then I just kill it is NOT SCARY. It's just STARTLING. You know what's scary? F.E.A.R. Especially the 2nd one. Mindfuck horror = scary. Doom 3 horror = startle.

Yeah, kittens can startle me, but I don't think they're very scary.

The first worm attack was cool, at least.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 06:49:55 am »

It also gets boring when you look at a hole and you KNOW there's going to be a necromorph there.

As he crawls out slowly, THE MUSIC CHANGES TO "OH SHIT STARTLING!" When it's not even that startling. Besides, it gets boring when you're constantly combat ready. They forgot to use mindfuck horror like in F.E.A.R.

Remember. People are scared when something unexpected happens.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 06:52:55 am »

At first it was creepy, almost scary. then after the first few enemies you notice the change in music when anything appears and after that you know when something is going to pop out.
Then we have the problem that they send too many foes on you which only makes you used to it, like "oh another one. *blam* And continuing on."
Othewise, good work

-Edit- Yanlin got ahead of me.

Commenting on the other things;
Doom 3 wasen't even startling, I was constantly annoyed while playing and quite soon the game gave me a pounding headache. I mean, whats scary about a black screen with 2 red dots?(in some occasions, the rest of the time it was just black.)
Only played FEAR 1 (did not like it, hate when opponents requires 3-5 hs to die.) and as far as i remember the 'mindfuck' was spread to far apart and almost never did you any harm so I never felt threatened.

Fatal Frame/Zero Project & Silent hill 2 are the games i would say are scary.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:19:00 am »

You approached it with the wrong mindset. You're supposed to be thinking "I haven't been jumped by a ton of enemies yet... They must be close..."
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 08:25:31 am »

My idea of a good horror game would be with only 1 enemy. It would follow you around for the duration of the entire game, climbing in the airshafts, in the roof...etc. You could see it just from the corner of the screen. It would be just waiting for you to turn your back.

It would take some pretty good AI to get it right, but it would be scary in my opinion.

The current way is just that theres a monster behind every spot. You just walk around, say that theres probably a monster there, then you go there and a monster jumps on you. Too predictable.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 09:23:44 am »

Stalker part one did that horror thing pretty well, imho. You had some passages, that were just like your regular shooter. Fighting spetznaz or gang members or whatnot.

But then there were underground secret labs and factories, with one enemy every 15 minutes or so. The rest of the time you spent peeing your pants because of screeching metal pipes and whatnot.

It WAS kind of imperative that you had absolutely ZERO spoilers before you played it, so you know NOTHING about the setting, the enemies and the story.

Too bad all that fear was gone after the first playthrough. But the first run, oh boy oh boy, praised be stalker.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:20:46 am »

My idea of a good horror game would be with only 1 enemy. It would follow you around for the duration of the entire game, climbing in the airshafts, in the roof...etc. You could see it just from the corner of the screen. It would be just waiting for you to turn your back.

It would take some pretty good AI to get it right, but it would be scary in my opinion.

The current way is just that theres a monster behind every spot. You just walk around, say that theres probably a monster there, then you go there and a monster jumps on you. Too predictable.

Sounds like Alien.

A real horror game uses atmosphere, sound(I find sounds much scarier than visuals) and a feeling that your not some tank bulldozing over the hordes of monsters that jump out squealing "Boo!".

^^Penumbra?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 10:47:27 am »

Unless you can suplex an aliens head off, I doubt this can improve on RE4 gameplay.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 12:52:22 pm »

It's nice to see that you all agree with the lack of real horror in modern games, but I'm sure that there was some parts that made you ruin a perfectly good pair of underwear. The Regenerator was real terror, and  most of you will never hear 'twinkle twinkle little star' the same way again.

And Duke, you can curb stomp the aliens. There is not much that can top that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:54:59 pm by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 02:14:13 pm »

ah, Isaac's Curb Stomp Of DOOOOOOOOOM. hilarious.

anyway, i agree with the startling-scaring views, theres nary a game that has done more to me that simply startling me, which is natural, any game can do it. i was startled by Pokemon once, damn trainers....

we seriously do need scarier games.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 02:41:49 pm »

ah, Isaac's Curb Stomp Of DOOOOOOOOOM. hilarious.

anyway, i agree with the startling-scaring views, theres nary a game that has done more to me that simply startling me, which is natural, any game can do it. i was startled by Pokemon once, damn trainers....

we seriously do need scarier games.

I have a plan, give me time.

It will be TERRIFYING.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5