Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Off to Lebanon.  (Read 7416 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Off to Lebanon.
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2009, 05:45:09 pm »

Homicide and war are different things. You can't compare them like that.
Sure. But in terms of likelihood to be killed? Also, plenty of ghettoes in America are called "war zones" for good reason.

There's a reason people don't go there. Same reason people don't go to the middle east. Too fucking risky. Besides, we both know how uncivilized and backwater the middle east is.  There's uneducated idiots walking the streets!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2009, 10:27:05 pm »

People don't go to both those places because they're scared and they have no conception of the fact that normal people live normal lives there. That's why I wasn't scared going to Israel and the occupied territories; if millions of people handle it every day then what am I gonna be scared of? That and the fact that my city's homicide rate is astronomical and I live pretty close to the ghetto.

Once for some speech class I tried to convince people to move to Philadelphia and listed things you should avoid doing to be safe from the violence in Philly: 1) be in a gang 2) be dealing drugs 3) hang around when you hear shots fired 4) run from the cops. I didn't add 5) be black which is a sad but true risk factor. Anyway, it's perfectly easy to be safe there...

Same situation in the West Bank, although I probably broke some of the cardinal rules of safety there...ended up in a few hairy situations, getting chased by a wacko (Hebron) settler with an M16, lying to the authorities about my travel plans, hanging out in Nablus...I guess there, all you have to do is be in the wrong place at the wrong time to get capped, but still, I felt totally safe.

I probably wouldn't head to Lebanon during their civil war, but now? I don't see anything to worry about. I'd really like to go there.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2009, 04:34:31 am »

People don't go to both those places because they're scared and they have no conception of the fact that normal people live normal lives there. That's why I wasn't scared going to Israel and the occupied territories; if millions of people handle it every day then what am I gonna be scared of? That and the fact that my city's homicide rate is astronomical and I live pretty close to the ghetto.

Once for some speech class I tried to convince people to move to Philadelphia and listed things you should avoid doing to be safe from the violence in Philly: 1) be in a gang 2) be dealing drugs 3) hang around when you hear shots fired 4) run from the cops. I didn't add 5) be black which is a sad but true risk factor. Anyway, it's perfectly easy to be safe there...

Same situation in the West Bank, although I probably broke some of the cardinal rules of safety there...ended up in a few hairy situations, getting chased by a wacko (Hebron) settler with an M16, lying to the authorities about my travel plans, hanging out in Nablus...I guess there, all you have to do is be in the wrong place at the wrong time to get capped, but still, I felt totally safe.

I probably wouldn't head to Lebanon during their civil war, but now? I don't see anything to worry about. I'd really like to go there.

Jude: It's extremely dangerous and I risked my life several times. But it's perfectly safe.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2009, 05:13:14 am »

I risked my life going for a drive this arvo, etc.
Magma is overrated.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2009, 11:52:20 am »

Jude: It's extremely dangerous and I risked my life several times. But it's perfectly safe.

it's perfectly safe if you don't do stupid things. I did stupid things (they were worth it)

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57:27 am »

it's perfectly safe if you don't do stupid things. I did stupid things (they were worth it)

You can say that about ANY place. It just depends on what's "stupid"

Besides, the random chance of you being killed is still there.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2009, 12:30:28 pm »

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make anymore.

Oh Jesus

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2009, 07:21:06 pm »

You can say that about ANY place. It just depends on what's "stupid"

Besides, the random chance of you being killed is still there.

I think you just proved his point.
Magma is overrated.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2009, 03:34:04 am »

So I lose internet for a while and Jude and Yanlin are at it again, and once more I seem to have started it without knowing so.

There's uneducated idiots walking the streets!
This is true just about anywhere really, the US has neo-nazis, Israel and Europe have anti-Arab sentiments, most arab countries have anti-sematics. That does not make it unsafe to visit any of these places.

I've studied with Jews in the UAE who have not been harrassed during their stay, it is one think to hate a group and quite another to hate individuals.

But back on topic...

It turns out that I've been to this area four years ago, although it was only because I recognized a restaurant here. I honestly can't remember much else besides the castle that some guy built by himself and then filled with wax figurines.

I haven't done much of note in the past few days, just read two books, played Lampshade's IVAN and realized that I never finished cave story. I still have to apply for university because I decided to take a half a gap year, but I didn't have internet so I'll just have to do that some time latter.

Other than that, there isn't much here to do. My dad's cousin was thinking of taking music lessons, so I ought to ask if they have any guitar lessons. Other than that, there really isn't much in the town that justifies the walk there.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 03:39:14 am »

Wait wait what?

Anti-semantics? A new group? :D
Jokes aside, Arabs are semits too, by definition.

Oh yeah. Here, we have anti-jews, anti-americans, anti-chinese, and anti-muslim <- note: hardcore muslim. Oh those secularist  >:D

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:52 am »

So I lose internet for a while and Jude and Yanlin are at it again, and once more I seem to have started it without knowing so.

There's uneducated idiots walking the streets!
This is true just about anywhere really, the US has neo-nazis, Israel and Europe have anti-Arab sentiments, most arab countries have anti-sematics. That does not make it unsafe to visit any of these places.

I've studied with Jews in the UAE who have not been harrassed during their stay, it is one think to hate a group and quite another to hate individuals.

But back on topic...

It turns out that I've been to this area four years ago, although it was only because I recognized a restaurant here. I honestly can't remember much else besides the castle that some guy built by himself and then filled with wax figurines.

I haven't done much of note in the past few days, just read two books, played Lampshade's IVAN and realized that I never finished cave story. I still have to apply for university because I decided to take a half a gap year, but I didn't have internet so I'll just have to do that some time latter.

Other than that, there isn't much here to do. My dad's cousin was thinking of taking music lessons, so I ought to ask if they have any guitar lessons. Other than that, there really isn't much in the town that justifies the walk there.

By uneducated I'm talking about people on a higher level of stupid than http://www.fstdt.com/
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2009, 10:37:23 am »

Come on man, you're in Lebanon, go hiking! I would be doing nothing but wandering the countryside if I could be back there right now. Oh how I miss my olive grove in Beit Sahour :(

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2009, 10:55:09 am »

Did you know that awesome hiking spots exist in regions not under the constant threat of war and stupidity?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2009, 11:55:24 am »

Did you realize that you don't even have any point to make anymore and you're just riding me like a rodeo for the sake of trolling

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2009, 01:16:43 pm »

My point is, there's no reason to go to the middle east. It's fucking stupid.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8