Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Damn you, sea pirates. I'm hanging out with the space ones.  (Read 13326 times)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
Re: Let's Sail: Arrr Matey!
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2009, 02:00:51 pm »

The AI

The AI has its own share of ships you guys will be battling.

The Galley is a very small and ancient ship. It finds strength in numbers, though the fact that it's cannons shoot forwards give it an interesting tactical role in mixed fleets. It moves at a speed of 14 tiles a turn and it's 3 cannons can shoot 20 rounds of ammo.

The Sloop has this aura of standardness around it. It's so standard it just has to be in any normal fleet. The focus is on its broadsides. It moves at a speed of 12 tiles a turn and it's 9 cannons can shoot 180 rounds of ammo at it's foes.

The Brig is the bigger and better brother of the Sloop. A sizeable amount of cannons on it's broadside allows it to do hefty damage to enemy ships, and some cannons on it front and back allow it to always return fire. It travels at a speed of 10 tiles a turn, and it's 27 cannons can shoot 330 rounds of ammo at it's foes.

The Ship of the Line is surprisingly small, but it holds massive power. A broadside of this ship and your ship will be in ruins!
It travels at a speed of 19 tiles a turn. This incredible speed, which puzzles physicists to this day, makes it a very dangerous opponent. It's 36 cannons can shoot 460 rounds of ammo.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:18:55 pm by Asheron »

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2009, 03:03:01 pm »

Combat

Combat will happen per turn. Movement and shooting happens simultaniously.
Movement is clumsy, as ships were. You can assign a specific tile the ship must sail to, and the ship will turn to go it, but it will almost never exactly reach that point.
You order you cannons to shoot, for example, by saying;

The three most northern cannons on the east side of the ship, normal shots, fire!

This will cause the three most northern cannons on the east side of the ship to fire and your ammo supply to drop by 3. You cannot order cannons to shoot at ships, the crew members themselves will pick the target, though there will almost never be more than 1. Reloading your cannon will always take 2 turns, except in the case that your supplies are destroyed to half of what they used to be, in that case it will take 3 turns.

Arc of fire and range

Important to note about cannons is that they have a limited arc of fire and range.
A cannon's arc of fire is roughly triangular. For the first 5 tiles, a cannonball can only go in to a line. After that, the line increases by one on both sides and this goes on until the maximum reach of the type of cannonball you shot is reached. Explained in ASC art ;
Code: [Select]

..........XXXXXXXXX
.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
..........XXXXXXXXX

With X being the places a cannon will be able to hit, and . it will not.

Cannons can shoot until up to a maximum as indicated in the ammo types section, though this will be very unaccurate fire. The closer to half the amount of the maximum tiles the enemy ship is, the more chance you have the cannonball will reach the ship and impact. Any closer and there is a larger chance the cannonball will fly over the ship, any further and there is a larger chance that the cannonball will end up in the water before the ship. An exception is the first 5 tiles. Chances that a cannonball misses if a ship is 5 tiles in front of it is minimal. Naturally, there is friendly fire, so watch out for friendlies! Friendly fire isn't.

Ammo Types

Every cannon can shoot different types of ammo.
- Normal: The standard cannonball. This hurts on impact and has the regular 50 tile reach.
- Grapeshot: This anti-crew cannonball can only reach to 30 tiles but is far more devastating for crew members. In other words, this has a lot more chance to take out cannons, though it will rarely breach hulls. The largest advantage of this type of ammo is that when it impacts it "splits" in to three, so instead of hitting one tile it hits 3 adjacent tiles.
- Chainshot: This cannonball type is a lot more effective in destroying ship masts. When a normal or grapeshot ball hits a mast, it tends to either do minimal damage or miss a lot. Chainshots have a lot more chance to destroy the mast outright, limiting the speed of the ship and sometimes the mast even does enormous damage to the ship itself as it falls down. This cannonball type has a reach of 50 tiles but is a lot more unaccurate than normal cannonballs and costs 2 shots instead of the regular 1.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:48:29 pm by Asheron »

Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2009, 03:21:31 pm »

More on combat

Certain tiles will interact differently with cannonballs.

Hulls
- Will be heavily damaged by normal shots.
- Will be lightly damaged by grapeshots.
- Will be moderatly damaged by chainshots.

Cannons
- Will have a chance of being blown away by normal shots.
- Will have a large chance of being "decrewed" by grapeshots. The cannon will turn darkred. At the exchange of the crew of another cannon, this cannon can be remanned. This takes 2 turns, regardless of distance.
- Will have a chance of being blown away by chainshots.

Supplies
- Will have a chance of being destroyed/catching fire by normal shots.
- Will have a chance of being destroyed by grapeshots.
- Will have a chance of being destroyed by chainshots.

Ammo
- Will have a chance of exploding by normal shots.
- Will have a chance of exploding/catching fire by grapeshots.
- Will have a chance of exploding by chainshots.

Masts

- Normal shots will have a very slight chance of destroying a piece of the sails, and an ever smaller chance of taking the entire mast with it .
- Grapeshots will have a chance of piercing and ruining a piece of the sails.
- Chainshots will have a fair chance of taking the entire mast down or destroying a piece of the sails.

Sinking

Every time a hull is hit by normal shots or chainshots, it has a chance of breaking or being damaged. If it is damaged, it will turn gray, it if is broken, it will turn black. Depending on luck, the size of your ship and how many tiles are hit, you have a chance your ship will start to catch water every turn. Explosions will tend to dramatically increase the chance your ship sinks.

!!Fire!!

Supplies can catch fire if they are hit. Fire will start to spread out unless you designate your crew to put it out. For every tile of fire, you need the crew of a cannon to put it out per turn. Every tile of ammo that is adjacent to a tile of fire has a chance of exploding. Masts can catch fire, in which case they turn white. Masts on fire do not count to your total ship speed.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:37:35 pm by Asheron »

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2009, 03:47:58 pm »

Whow, that was that. Any remarks or things I forgot to explain?
Also, please check the last post on page 5. Make sure your ship is fit for this game!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:55:09 pm by Asheron »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2009, 03:55:09 pm »

Crew and supplies for said crew?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2009, 03:56:17 pm »

Crew and supplies for said crew?
What yar be talking bout?
Yar supplies would be rum for ye cannon crews.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:59:56 pm by Asheron »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2009, 03:59:39 pm »

You mention moving crew between cannons and putting out fires. Do we get one crewmember for each supply tile or what?

Unless I read what you posted a bit too quickly.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2009, 04:01:16 pm »

You mention moving crew between cannons and putting out fires. Do we get one crewmember for each supply tile or what?

Unless I read what you posted a bit too quickly.
Well, you move the crew of one cannon to another, as in, you move the crew of cannon A to cannon B, cannon B that was disabled before is now enabled and cannon A is disabled now that it has no crew anymore. If you put out one tile of fire, you disable one cannon for one turn.
So, every supply tile gets you two crewmembers in theory, though any crewmembers that are unassigned ( because there are not enough cannons ) go wasted and can't be used.
Hmmm. Maybe I'm not good at explaining this, but I hope you get what I mean.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 04:04:24 pm by Asheron »

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2009, 05:00:52 pm »

Possibly the largest ship yet.

10 3x3 Masts
2 3x1 Masts
67 Cannons
523 Crew Tiles
135 Ammo Piles

It sails to the left.
Just did that speed maths...

I got 15 tiles as the speed. I could be wrong but, WOOOO.
Anyway.

Speed: 15 Tiles a turn
67 Cannons with 1350 shots

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2009, 05:08:18 pm »

Though I'm not in anymore because I forgot to make a ship in time, what about boarding enemy ships?
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2009, 05:35:36 pm »

My ship on the last page now fits the game rules. And yes, boarding and ramming mechanics would be awsome. Otherwise my ship is kind of useless.
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2009, 07:54:23 pm »

I think I've got Honor checked.

30 Cannon with 500 Ammo
Speed of 6.122 (Don't know if I'm doing it right but thats where the math got me)

Just let me know if I need to recheck anything

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:25 pm »

Ah yes, I'll try adding those in some time later. Also, Emperor_Jonathan, dammit. I might need to add some ships of the line to act as a counterbalance, because I don't see the AI winning against that. That ship has OVERPOWERED all over it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:04:33 pm by Asheron »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2009, 08:29:33 pm »

well, change the greens to greys (except for the 1x5s in the bunkhouses, which are yellow)

anything else to change?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2009, 08:41:45 pm »

Ah yes, I'll try adding those in some time later. Also, Emperor_Jonathan, dammit. I might need to add some ships of the line to act as a counterbalance, because I don't see the AI winning against that. That ship has OVERPOWERED all over it.

Well... Clearly in order to support his large crew and pay for maintenance on his large ship, he'll need to bring in a proportionally-larger share of loot for his crew.

I'd also suggest basing speed primarily on square of frontal area, or something like that. As it is, making your ship circular (as the Chosen of Armok is, roughly) gives you lots of space for ammo, supplies, and masts without affecting your speed too much (imagine, if you will, a 20-tile diameter circle. It has (with some rounding) 300 interior squares. 32 of those are cannon, which means 16 squares of supplies. We'll say a nice 64 squares of ammo (for 640 shots), which leaves around 200 tiles for sails. 200/(20+20) * 20 = 100 squares per turn (unless I did the math wrong?). That's overpowered =). As it is, making a larger ship will (almost always) make your ship faster, but using the square makes larger ships slower (as it should be) and using the frontal area encourages longer, thinner ships (which are more "ship-like"). You'll likely want to tweak the exponent a bit, since the squared makes it really hard for ships like the galley with the "minimum" 5-tile width.

To counter infinitely long, 3-tile-wide ships, I'd make maneuverability based on ship length. So a really long ship might be fast, but it would have a turning radius best measured in miles.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9