Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Damn you, sea pirates. I'm hanging out with the space ones.  (Read 13302 times)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
Re: Let's Sail: Arrr Matey!
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2009, 09:45:48 pm »

Ah yes, I'll try adding those in some time later. Also, Emperor_Jonathan, dammit. I might need to add some ships of the line to act as a counterbalance, because I don't see the AI winning against that. That ship has OVERPOWERED all over it.

Well... Clearly in order to support his large crew and pay for maintenance on his large ship, he'll need to bring in a proportionally-larger share of loot for his crew.

I'd also suggest basing speed primarily on square of frontal area, or something like that. As it is, making your ship circular (as the Chosen of Armok is, roughly) gives you lots of space for ammo, supplies, and masts without affecting your speed too much (imagine, if you will, a 20-tile diameter circle. It has (with some rounding) 300 interior squares. 32 of those are cannon, which means 16 squares of supplies. We'll say a nice 64 squares of ammo (for 640 shots), which leaves around 200 tiles for sails. 200/(20+20) * 20 = 100 squares per turn (unless I did the math wrong?). That's overpowered =). As it is, making a larger ship will (almost always) make your ship faster, but using the square makes larger ships slower (as it should be) and using the frontal area encourages longer, thinner ships (which are more "ship-like"). You'll likely want to tweak the exponent a bit, since the squared makes it really hard for ships like the galley with the "minimum" 5-tile width.

To counter infinitely long, 3-tile-wide ships, I'd make maneuverability based on ship length. So a really long ship might be fast, but it would have a turning radius best measured in miles.

Hmmm yes.  Though I don't really understand what you mean with square of frontal area.
Barbarossa: Yip. Looks good.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2009, 09:47:47 pm »

if the front's flat, it's not hydrodynamic?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2009, 10:33:22 pm »

What's the rules for taking reserve crew or passengers, or trade goods? Or taking less crew and leaving some cannons unmanned?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2009, 11:52:05 pm »

AW man.

WOOOO

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2009, 11:58:56 pm »

Looks like I've got the slowest ship of the ones that have been checked.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2009, 01:40:15 am »

Hmmm yes.  Though I don't really understand what you mean with square of frontal area.

Let's take the Sloop. It's a fairly standard ship...

It is, at its widest point, 7 tiles across. Thus, the square of its frontal area is (7*7 = 49) for the speed formula.

Compare the Chosen of Armok, 53 squares across at its widest point (from the direction that it sails in). Thus, the square of its frontal area is (53*53 = 2809) for the speed formula. Suddenly, the Chosen of Armok needs nearly sixty times the sail area as the sloop does, rather than (53+58 vs. 7+18) the 4.5 times that it does now to achieve the same speed, which is good: The Chosen of Armok has ~2000 available tiles, whereas the Sloop has 126 (with adjustments for the perimeter being unusable).
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2009, 03:30:25 am »

We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2009, 05:50:48 am »

Let's take the Sloop. It's a fairly standard ship...

It is, at its widest point, 7 tiles across. Thus, the square of its frontal area is (7*7 = 49) for the speed formula.

Compare the Chosen of Armok, 53 squares across at its widest point (from the direction that it sails in). Thus, the square of its frontal area is (53*53 = 2809) for the speed formula. Suddenly, the Chosen of Armok needs nearly sixty times the sail area as the sloop does, rather than (53+58 vs. 7+18) the 4.5 times that it does now to achieve the same speed, which is good: The Chosen of Armok has ~2000 available tiles, whereas the Sloop has 126 (with adjustments for the perimeter being unusable).
I see. I'll change the speed formula in the next battle, let's see how everything goes now.

What's the rules for taking reserve crew or passengers, or trade goods? Or taking less crew and leaving some cannons unmanned?

None yet. I'm not sure why you would leave some cannons unmanned, as I already said, you have no more crew than the amount of cannons you have, to keep things simple, so you can't keep any in reserve. I might change that together with the speed formula though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:55:32 am by Asheron »

Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2009, 05:55:11 am »

I notice a distinct lack of supplies. I don't see 42 supplies?

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2009, 05:57:54 am »

Ramming

When one ship collides with another one because it sails towards it, a ram happens. Both ships always take damage, but the ship who gets rammed tends to always suffer the most damage.
Damage is calculated by how many tiles of ship the other ship is rammed, the speed at which the ship rammed, the amount of broken tiles adjacent to the ramming ship and the angle.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2009, 06:11:11 am »

"Pea" : CHECKED BY ME
What's the difference between "Checked" and "Checked by me"?

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2009, 06:23:40 am »

I notice a distinct lack of supplies. I don't see 42 supplies?
Oh shi- forgot to change the text. <_<

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:27:05 am by Myroc »
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2009, 06:28:28 am »

Oh man. I think I did something wrong with my calculations. I did the speed calculation again and got 17. Can someone check for me?

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2009, 10:01:00 am »

I would like to get in on this, but I won't be able to devote enough time to ship design until this weekend at best.  Just stating my desire to play prior to any player cutoff announcements.
Computer says 'No'.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2009, 11:37:46 am »

"Pea" : CHECKED BY ME
What's the difference between "Checked" and "Checked by me"?
It means I checked it for you. I did it for you to check if my rules worked and because it was such a small boat. Nothing more.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9