Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finder (Post ideas and requests for the next release)  (Read 52862 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finding Utility (W.I.P
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2009, 06:09:16 pm »

Is this memory leak with the ultrafinder and the Mayday graphics pack? I have D11 and I wonder if this memory leak is in the game itself since sometimes after I play for a long while, the game suddendly slows way down without explaination. A save, exit, and restart fixes this.

vins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2009, 06:15:52 pm »

I have some problems :

1/ If I try to run it with normal key delay : Doesn't work, dwarf fortress is launching too slowly
2/ If I try to run it with 1000 ms key delay : It's a bit too slow, because it the first time it uses down arrow, dwarf fortress isn't launched yet, but it uses create a new world, but it freezed when there's the screen where it have to press "F9". (Weird I saw bug corrected with F9 in the changelog)
3/ If I try to run it with 10 000 ms key delay : Everything works corectly (I don't understand why it press right, left and right to start), but because he pressed 3 times down, now when he press enter, he's in the about screen and it stops working it seems.

I'm using 40d9, on a french laptop with an azerty keyboard \o/

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2009, 07:19:11 pm »

I'm using 40d9, on a french laptop with an azerty keyboard \o/

Something tells me this is the problem.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2009, 08:52:59 pm »

Is this memory leak with the ultrafinder and the Mayday graphics pack? I have D11 and I wonder if this memory leak is in the game itself since sometimes after I play for a long while, the game suddendly slows way down without explaination. A save, exit, and restart fixes this.

The ultrafinder would have nothing to do with this, seeing as it doesn't actualy do anything to DF other than press buttons. I can't even think of a reason why using Mayday affects this either...
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2009, 08:56:25 pm »

Maybe it is just an issue with the 40D11 version itself. I just wasn't sure whether the mayday mod or whatever was doing the memory leak.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2009, 11:48:48 pm »

I figure I may as well keep people posted as the development cycle might take a while.

Below is a picture demonstating the library output of the next release of UltraFinder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Character set courtessy of Aesomatica. (I used a shaded set to demonstrate the correct colour shading, and used the Alternate colour scheme for it's shininess.)

The program automatically gauges the image dimensions/tile sizes/graphics etc, so the user will no longer have to input these values. Given the convenience of having all these tiles now at my disposal, I might even make a Dwarf Paint style application on the side that uses your init values to determine your palette.

This evening I'll be breaking things down and attempting a first pass at outputting the Dwarf Fortress window to ASCII characters in a *.txt file (I can already foresee a few complications  :-\). From there, I'll dive into optimization, then onto developing a gui (concept courtessy Elvang), and then onto the actual scanner.

Given I can now have the scanner recognise _exactly_ what is happening on screen, issues such as incorrect number of keypresses, faulty recognition of menus, etc will become a thing of the past (only to open up a plethora of other nasties, I'm sure).

Hold tight. The release definately isn't around the corner, but it is in sight. Thanks to everyone who has egged me on, expressed their support and especially to those who have donated their time and knowledge.

Cheers, GFXiNXS

EDIT: Ha! Just realised it outputted dark grey twice, whilst naming the folder correctly. This has been rectified :P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:54:08 pm by GFXiNXS »
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2009, 10:37:43 am »

I've not gotten UF to work yet, but that's mostly my issues I think. I love the concept, and while I'm sure you have a big to do list, I'd love to sneak a few things into the advanced section.

* Crossroads (Road/Road, Road/River)
* Settlements (Human, Dwarven, Elven, Goblin)
* Sand

That way I could look for a cross-roads to build a "trade depot", or a human settlement that I could build under, and not have to worry about finding one with water, magma, no aquifer or any other little normal change that I want. Sand is also a big thing... when I decide I want to play with glass.
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2009, 12:52:54 pm »

Wow, GFX, that's looking fantastic. Great work! New release sounds promising hehe.

I think you incremented the versions for Ultra finder a little odd :P

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2009, 07:32:40 pm »

-snip-
I think you incremented the versions for Ultra finder a little odd :P

Heh, yeah. Basically there was the initial release, which was rather primative at version 1. I then set a bunch of goals (mainly to do with having to do with having the program do more for the user with less input) and upon their completion I threw out number 2. I then set my goals for number three (which were fairly high considering the primative scanning method) and used that to gauge where I was at in terms of what I wanted to achieve. It's really more for me to be able to gauge my progress, and I like seeing whole numbers :P. The 'a', 'b', 'c' etc versions were when the behaviour of the program didn't change and when I was just trying to round off my stupid errors.

Anyway, I might use a more structured method of numbering next time. The next version will be UltraFinder Extended v1.0. From there I'll gather feedback and set precise goals and base a numbering system on that.

Cheers :)
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey GFX. Just a small thing to report. (Ultra Finder 2.8, Windows Vista Business x64 SP2, Mayday pack w/ 40d11, graphics turned off while finding. Rig is an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.6GHz with 8GB of RAM, just in case system speed should affect anything here.)

Over the past couple days I've been generating a lot of maps, and the program is overall working very well. However I've run into one issue. Occasionally it will hang at embark. It will get to actual game, and then just stop. The game then runs until the next autopause. I was thinking this might be a Key Delay setting issue, so I bumped it up from 150ms to 250ms and then to 500ms, and it was still happening.

It's been hard to reproduce any sort of cause because sometimes it will run for upwards of 6 hours before bombing out, and find a dozen sites, other times it will only last until the first site it finds. Nothing is popping up to steal keyboard focus, and nothing else is running. Not so much as a virus scanner or errant system tray icon :P

Anyway, more often than not it will go for at least a couple hours without a hitch, so its only a minor problem. Sorry I could not give more detail or run it down better for you, it's just too random. Otherwise, again, great work on this program. I will be watching to see how things come along!

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com

Yeah, NK I was havign that problem with v2.8, too. Try using v2.6c

Oh, and I just realized the leaving a note on an embark doesn't really work... It doesn't save the note after you go back to the menu :( Oh well.

The only ideas I have are the really basic things that you probably already know of (river size, civilizations nearby), and maybe allowing you to choose more than one option with the trees and surroundings.
Spoiler: examples (click to show/hide)

Aegis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm having an issue with UltraFinder.
I run the .exe and DF opens, but then Ultra Finder automatically goes to the "About DF" menu option, by going up twice.
I'm using OpenGL/SDL DF 40d14.
If that's the problem, then which version should I use? I haven't visited the forums in ages.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:58:00 pm by Aegis »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

If the df .exe is dwarfort.exe, change it to Dwarf Fortress.exe and see if that helps

Aegis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, but now I'm stuck on the apparently "evil" F9 page.
:'(
What can I do?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

I have no idea.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20