Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finder (Post ideas and requests for the next release)  (Read 52853 times)

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finding Utility (W.I.P
« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2009, 11:12:33 am »

Hi all. Newbie here ;)

I've been messing with UltraFinder to find a nice rich Aquifer-less newbie starting area. It seems to work pretty well using some of the custom world parameters I grabbed from this thread. The only problem is that Dwarf Fortress (using Mayday 40d13 pack) leaks memory like nobodies business and quickly hits the 2GB 32-bit addressable limit and craps out. Obviously this has nothing to do with UltraFinder, but I was wondering if I could gen worlds using a vanilla 40d13 and use the same settings that UltraFinder comes up with in Mayday to get roughly the same world?

If so, that might help with the memory issue.

Any other tips for what a newbie should look for in a map are also welcome. Thanks!

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 17, 2009, 11:22:23 am »

-snip- I was wondering if I could gen worlds using a vanilla 40d13 and use the same settings that UltraFinder comes up with in Mayday to get roughly the same world?

Welcome to the forums :)

Basically, yes, you can use the parameters to gen the same world, but with a few snags. Mayday modifies several of the raw files (cat mouth fix, and the economic stone mod). Altered raws equates to altered outcomes in world gen. Nothing major in this case. You will likely get the same feature layouts (magma pipe, underground river, etc), though you will find your soil layers (and aquifers) to be different.

Hope this helps. The memory leak thing sounds a tad off and I'm not really sure what to say on that one.

Cheers,

GFXiNXS
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 17, 2009, 11:30:02 am »

Welcome to the forums :)

Thanks. It's good to be here. Ive been putting off starting Dwarf Fortress for almost a year now. Was just too intimidating even for someone like me who gamed extensively when every game looked, graphically, like Dwarf Fortress. The complexity is amazing!

Basically, yes, you can use the parameters to gen the same world, but with a few snags. Mayday modifies several of the raw files (cat mouth fix, and the economic stone mod). Altered raws equates to altered outcomes in world gen. Nothing major in this case. You will likely get the same feature layouts (magma pipe, underground river, etc), though you will find your soil layers (and aquifers) to be different.

Can I make those modifications to Vanilla without using the graphical set?

Hope this helps. The memory leak thing sounds a tad off and I'm not really sure what to say on that one.

Yeah it puzzled me a bit too. I had it run while I dozed off to sleep. I woke up and checked on it and it had crashed sometime in those 2 hours, but had found one site. I cleaned the folders up and started it up again and went back to bed. When I awoke the next time I found it had not crashed, but the tiles were all flat colors instead of characters and images, and it was sitting at 1.9GB of memory usage. Very strange.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 17, 2009, 11:32:47 am »

Can I make those modifications to Vanilla without using the graphical set?

Yes, entirely.
You can change pretty much anything in the raws with graphics and the game still won't complain, even if that involves removing objects and such.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #214 on: August 17, 2009, 11:50:20 am »

NKDietrich, it would be easiest to copy over all the raw files from Mayday's pack to the vanilla pack, just to make sure everything would be 100% compatible.
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 17, 2009, 11:54:29 am »

Everything is, I've tested it myself.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 17, 2009, 12:04:15 pm »

Everything is, I've tested it myself.

Yeah I copied all the raw/objects over and have it running.

More regarding the memory leak:

When using the Mayday 40d13 pack, each worldgen seems to cost about 5-7MB of memory that does not get released before the next loop. I watched the memory usage at the end of the worldgen phase, before it backed out to load the region and find. The memory usage at that particular moment was climbing rapidly each loop.

Using vanilla with the raws from Mayday 40d13, memory increase during worldgen loops is near zero, if it exists at all. Hovers around 80MB at the peak. With the graphical set it started around there and climbed past 150MB before I killed it. An hour or two of that and it would easily hit 2GB.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2009, 01:42:05 pm »

Quick question, NKDietrich, when you say vanilla, are you using 40d, or 40d##?

If your vanilla is 40d, that information would be a lot better if it was said here.

I don't think the fact that it's Mayday's pack, but that it's 40d##. The only real change in Mayday's pack is that it uses a tile set and a few changes in the raws, but I could be wrong.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2009, 01:53:06 pm »

Quick question, NKDietrich, when you say vanilla, are you using 40d, or 40d##?

If your vanilla is 40d, that information would be a lot better if it was said here.

I don't think the fact that it's Mayday's pack, but that it's 40d##. The only real change in Mayday's pack is that it uses a tile set and a few changes in the raws, but I could be wrong.

Actually, apparently, my Mayday pack is 40d11, while my vanilla is 40d13. I thought I had updated my Mayday install to 40d13 but apparently not. I'll have to run some more tests on 40d13 + Mayday. Maybe it's just a d11 bug that got fixed.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #219 on: August 17, 2009, 02:02:30 pm »

Heh, well I'm using 40d11 with mayday, too, and I've left it on overnight and I haven't noticed any massive memory losses.

Hmm, I can't even really think of a way how 40d13 has no leak and 40d11 does(Or a tileset for that matter). The only thing that's being changed between them is the way OpenGL is handled, and the graphic set is not even used in the generation of a world...

40d14 is out, but there's some bug where the screen doesn't update. I would recommend waiting until 40d15 is out before updating.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2009, 02:24:33 pm »

Heh, well I'm using 40d11 with mayday, too, and I've left it on overnight and I haven't noticed any massive memory losses.

Hmm, I can't even really think of a way how 40d13 has no leak and 40d11 does(Or a tileset for that matter). The only thing that's being changed between them is the way OpenGL is handled, and the graphic set is not even used in the generation of a world...

40d14 is out, but there's some bug where the screen doesn't update. I would recommend waiting until 40d15 is out before updating.

It doesn't make any sense to me either. I just setup Mayday + 40d13 and watched it go from 100MB to 300MB over the space of a couple dozen worldgens. I went in the init and shut graphics off and tried again. Steady at about 80MB.

On another note, any suggestions for changes to this config for a newbie-friendly starting area, or is it pretty solid to search for?

world_gen.txt Custom Entry (Grabbed from a world that GFXiNXS posted)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UltraFinder_Init.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2009, 03:02:47 pm »

Well, I would recomend something like this :
Spoiler: UltraFinder_Init (click to show/hide)
I find magma pools and underground pools just a waste of space if you have their other infinite counterpart, magma pipe and underground river respectively. With the advanced features the only thing you really need to search for in the layers is Sedimentary stone, as it gives you huge clusters of magnetite(Iron). The others are pretty much always present when magma is, and have no amazingly useful ores.

As for the worldgen text, it looks good as it is, but you may want to change the [VOLCANISM:0:100:1600:1600] to [VOLCANISM:50:100:1600:1600] just so there's a few more spots with magma.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2009, 03:11:15 pm »

Thanks. I'll give that a shot and see what it creates!

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2009, 03:13:52 pm »

Good luck! And you better have a good book with you, 'cause it takes awhile.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2009, 06:00:49 pm »

Good luck! And you better have a good book with you, 'cause it takes awhile.

Those settings whipped out 10 sites in 2 hours. Gonna take a look at them now!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20